Scuba Diving Self Situational Awareness Ribbon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmmmm

Attachments

• e78a774fbc856f3b8b013f1791a0fd094edd9fec1b68e79c4d270bb689a191ca-1.jpg
    e78a774fbc856f3b8b013f1791a0fd094edd9fec1b68e79c4d270bb689a191ca-1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 42
When I see someone using those abbreviations that likely come from texting, I simply don’t pay any more attention. It’s lazy writing. Wouldn’t pass in the average workplace, probably.
The conversation method very well might pass in some work places. Where I believe it does not do so well is in places where you are doing write-ups to gather attention and support.

For me, what does more hinderance to the issue is not conveying a enough understanding what is being wanted and written about such as in this case scuba, buddy system and situational awareness while also not giving necessary details to further the project.

Here's where i have a problem with this...

From her website: "Many accidents can be prevented if rules were made to be followed, dive centers ran responsibly, & the enforcement of following rules made priority. The Buddy system has been so disregarded & the failure of it has lead to many accidents & scuba diving fatalities."

Um...rules do exist, dive centers are run responsibly, the buddy system is not disregarded. Enforcement? How? Do we need Volunteer Officer Picklestein to make sure we're in compliance?

I'm sorry about the fatality, but the above is complete garbage. At some point, the liability falls on the diver, their education, experience and understanding of their limits.

Something odd about this entire thread. No notice in Accidents & Incidents of the death. Short note from local sheriff of responding to a death on Nov 20, 2020, at Avalon. Nothing I can find that ever mentions the incident itself, much less a buddy. A year later, the family is still grieving, which is entirely understandable, but now there is a missing buddy involved. From where are they getting their facts? What are the sources? Did somebody actually do something wrong? If so, why is this not being put on the responsible party(ies) via the legal system? Is this just after-the-fact rationalizing that the cousin could not possibly have done anything wrong, so it must have been someone else? He was a new diver -- PADI records say OW 20 Sept 2020, just two months earlier. He may have been certified in Trinadad and Tobago.

Here's where i have a problem with this...

From her website: "Many accidents can be prevented if rules were made to be followed, dive centers ran responsibly, & the enforcement of following rules made priority. The Buddy system has been so disregarded & the failure of it has lead to many accidents & scuba diving fatalities."

Um...rules do exist, dive centers are run responsibly, the buddy system is not disregarded. Enforcement? How? Do we need Volunteer Officer Picklestein to make sure we're in compliance?

I'm sorry about the fatality, but the above is complete garbage. At some point, the liability falls on the diver, their education, experience and understanding of their limits.
Exactly. Even a new diver on their first post-certification dive is trained to look for a lost buddy for a minute and then surface. Having a buddy "ditch" you or losing them is not a cause of death.

I hope we can show some sensitivity in this thread for Nicole, who is apparently just trying to do something she believes in, and not get into a discussion of the buddy system or how accidents happen or are prevented. Those topics have been beaten to death elsewhere, and that's where they belong--elsewhere.

Have you considered your delayed return and replies render you unsuitable for your appointed position
What? Totally rude response. Wow.

Hi my name is Nicole iam new to this but I would like to hopefully gain support for this ribbon. It's a scuba diving self situational awareness ribbon. There is a story behind it. Please ask any questions thank you.
Sorry for your loss.

self situational awareness ribbon
A first step towards solo diving

I'm guessing that none of you bothered to read her profile.
"I lost my cousin who I was very close to. Hed just turned 45 days (YEARS?) before his accident. He was a beginner diver and was in Catalina Island on Nov 21, 2020. Although what happened still isn't clear, it is clear that he was left alone by his dive buddy"

A 45 years old new diver died. His diving buddy was not present. Nobody dies of being alone, though, so there has been some sort of a problem. New divers do not dive very deep. Hence, statistically, it could have been a panic caused by a myriad of things (everyone can easily make an emergency swimming ascent from 80 feet given a calm state of mind). The accident was unfortunate of course and the reasoning behind this ribbon (self awareness) is valid.

Back
Top Bottom