Scuba divers’ rinse tanks are full of bacteria - recent news

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stargazer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This letter printed in the American Society of Microbiology journal "Microbe" last December is a wake-up call about hygiene and rinse tanks......about time someone looked into this issue. See link below to original Microbe 2007 vol. 2:#12, p. 577). Text of letter:

Over the years, we have heard some people complain of various illnesses after scuba diving trips. On such trips, gear (including wet suits, booties, buoyancy control devices, regulators with mouthpieces, etc.) is typically rinsed in large, “communal” tanks. We wondered if these communal rinse tanks could harbor microorganisms that could be passed among divers during equipment rinses. Literature searches did not identify any studies investigating this topic.

During four days in June 2007, water samples were collected from two rinse tanks at a dive facility on Roatan, Honduras. The two rinse tanks were emptied each morning about 8:00 AM and refilled with fresh (nonsalt) water). Most diving was done from boats, which returned about noon and 4:30 PM, following morning and afternoon dives, respectively. Water samples were obtained daily at 8:30 AM, 12:30 PM, and 4:30 PM, in sterile Eppendorf tubes which were stored in a refrigerator until the day of departure. On the day of departure, samples were packed in a suitcase and returned to a refrigerator about 12 hour later. The following day, 50-_l aliquots were spread on Terrific broth-agar plates, incubated at 37oC overnight, and then visually examined for colonies and photographed.

Our hypothesis was that the 8:30 AM samples, taken before equipment was rinsed, would be relatively “clean” and that samples taken later in the day would show more contamination as more equipment was rinsed. However, we found that all water samples produced many colonies, and that at times the 8:30 AM samples produced more colonies than samples collected later in the day. No colonies appeared on control plates not exposed to water samples or on plates exposed to tap water. (Pictures of these plates can be viewed online at WVU Health Sciences Center som/bmp/miller.asp—click “Rinse Tank Data” link under the topic “Research,” then click “Rinse Tanks– Powerpoint Presentation”). On several days, only one rinse tank was filled or in the process of being filled for the 8:30 AM samplings. From each plate, several colonies with different morphologies were subcultured in Terrific broth overnight and observed under a dark-field microscope. Multiple types of bacteria were detected, based on different morphology/swimming patterns; videos of different colonies can be viewed by following the links indicated above.

While we do not yet know the source of microbes in the rinse tanks, nor if any of the organisms in the rinse tanks are pathogenic, it is clear that these communal rinse tanks do harbor many microbes that would come in contact with divers’ mouthpieces, potentially spreading pathogens between divers. We recommend that divers rinse their regulators separately or consider spraying mouthpieces with a safe disinfectant, such as 70% ethanol.
Authors: Michael R. Miller, M. A. Motaleb, West Virginia University, Morgantown

Microbe Magazine

And this comes as a surprise? My gear is almost always rinsed in a personal rinse tank when I am at home. If I am traveling, I usually rent gear unless I am going to be in a single location for a week or more. When I'm renting, the gear is (hopefully) sanitized in the rinse tank.

Spraying a mouth piece with a disinfectant would do little for the areas inside the reg. where the slime can really grow. ???????

I used to have trouble using the communial rinse bucket for masks on the dive boat leaving me with itching and burning eyes. I always rinse my mask with bottled water now.

actually, this doesn't suprise me at all...

bratface, someone brought up to me recently that the community mask buckets have snot in the mask from all other divers, then you put your mask in and mix it with everyone's 'snot' and then put it back on your face..... ok.. that solved me from putting my mask in the bucket!

Not surprising at all. Anybody who's left their gear in their own rinse tank more than overnight will be familiar with the amount of stuff that can grow in fresh water contaminated with salt and salt water organisms. Most of the bugs are most likely aquatic organisms and not pathogens, though.

maybe it would be wise to have rinse buckets filled the night before with chlorine added then emptied in the morning and refilled with fresh water. This would at least serve to disinfect the rinse bucket. I don't think the fact that they are communal buckets alone was the problem. I suspect that most of the bacteria growth happened while the buckets were empty yet damp. Maybe another way to deal with it would be the use of a germcidal lamp.

His research does not surprise me. It would be nice if the companies that create the communal toxic tanks would make an effort to "clean up their tanks" and try to reduce the bacteria producing short cuts or common procedures. drbill has a good idea rent gear. As long as I can get safe, good quality equipment, I am ok with renting gear.

No surprises here. Roatan rinse tanks that were never really clean, filled so divers could rinse their pissy wet suits, snotty masks, slobbery regs and gear grow more organisms. DrBill is an expert diver, but I want my own gear to save my butt, and I don't want local dock workers pouring Clorox in the tanks. I doubt that situation is going to improve. I have long rinses my regs, mask, suits in my room, and I never use mask buckets in boats either. Bottled water or sea water for my mask.

Liveaboards are a little different. There I prefer to spray my gear from a FW hose, depending on water supply, but don't worry much. I mighy carry my own sandwich bag, fill it with water, and use it to rinse my mask and mouthpiece.

everything around you is colonized with bacteria, and I do mean everything. Bacteria are a normal and necessary part of our very existence. The vast, vast majority these organisms are either beneficial to us, or a non-issue (neither helpful nor harmful). Without positive identification of pathogens in the samples mentioned in this article, there is no reason to assume you will develop bubonic plague or ebola hemorrhagic fever from the dunk tanks in Roataan. Of course there is bacteria in the dunk tanks, they are not in a sterile environment. Has anybody heard of a recent or continuing outbreak of disease amongst tourists in Honduras? Use common sense, wash your hands, and stay away from the kool-aid! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom