Scuba deaths/incidents per certifying agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick, there's no need to assume, I stated, "YMCA's AOW is as much of a joke as the others." You even included that when you quoted me.

SSI doesn't have an advanced class. SSI issues an advanced certification that is meaningless. The 4 specialties and the 24 logged dives have meaning, the advanced card does absolutely nothing. Depending on which specialties are taken, one may qualify for the SSI advanced certification as a truly advanced diver or not, but either way, the card does nothing.

Walter:
Rick, there's no need to assume, I stated, "YMCA's AOW is as much of a joke as the others." You even included that when you quoted me.

SSI doesn't have an advanced class. SSI issues an advanced certification that is meaningless. The 4 specialties and the 24 logged dives have meaning, the advanced card does absolutely nothing. Depending on which specialties are taken, one may qualify for the SSI advanced certification as a truly advanced diver or not, but either way, the card does nothing.
Dear Walter,
Inasmuch as the four specialties and 24 logged dives are documented right on the AOW card, the AOW card means "This diver has completed the four specialties listed here, and 24 logged dives."
If you want to define that as "meaningless" have at it.
Rick

what is "advanced"?????

Is that every course after a open water diver course??

Onehappyisland:
what is "advanced"?????

Is that every course after a open water diver course??
It varies with the agency. PADI has an "Advanced" course that can be completed immediately after OW and a C-card issued. NAUI also.
SSI looks at it a little different, and issues an AOW card after a diver has completed four "specialties" and 24 logged dives. Of all the "AOW" cards out there I think the SSI one has the most meaning. But then I teach for SSI :D
Rick

When i take a look at an advanced course (no matter what agency), it means for me that the diver who is taken the course wants to put his skills, knowledge and experience on a higher level. So that would be my main goal. does that mean that i would recommend some divers some additional dives or pool? yes.

Always will be the battle between the different agencies, but at the bottom line i think that a instructor
should want to create good divers. if not, ok drown that instructor. but that is my opinion. :coffee:

Onehappyisland:
... but that is my opinion. :coffee:

I've never understood this expression and my son says it all of the time. Of course it's your opinion. Who else would it belong to if YOU are saying it???

:confused:

Walter:

The card does something, Walter. Too many dive operators don't care to look at your dive book as a qualification for a dive. They just want to see an AOW card before they let you on an intermediate or advanced dive.

Second reason, as others have stated before, the AOW card is needed as a prerequisite for PADI's rescue class.

Mike Edmonston:
NAUI requires 4 specialty dives for the AOW. I require 6 to 7 when I teach it. I don't teach to bare minimums, and I choose to make BETTER DIVERS not sell cards. My advanced course is not easy, I cover such things as lift bag use and deployment, reel work, finning techniques, buoyancy drills, and much much more. I have had students compare it to a mini boot camp. You also get the Night dive, deep dive, navigation and underwater search and rescue, surface positional triangulation etc...

You want a complete advanced class, PM me.

Cheers :D

Mike
Sounds similar to the NAUI AOW class I teach. I also have the students do a mid-water navigation dive that consists of navigating patterns while maintaining a constant depth of 20 feet. The purpose is primarily to teach them how to maintain buoyancy while task-loaded (one student gets the compass, the other gets the depth gauge/bottom timer, so they have to work together). This is also the course where I teach my students about gas management. Before we do a deep dive, they take consumption measurements and determine how much gas they'll need for the planned dive. Not surprisingly, this is where many of them discover why it's a bad idea to be going to 100 feet on an AN80.

I love the fact that NAUI gives us the freedom to include such things at this level ... so do my students.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PADI requires Underwater Navigation and Deep Dive courses, plus 3 specialty courses to obtain an Advanced OW certification.
I believe "Advanced" is a confusing term for some. I look at it as simply advancing one's skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom