Scuba bag vs. Standard duffel bag

Which gear bag do you prefer for airline travel.

• Standard duffel bag

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Bag designed specifically for scuba gear

Votes: 16 50.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being the tight wad that I am I use a military surplus duffel bag and put my dive gear in the bottom (exept for the reg setup which is carry-on in a backpack) and my clothes on top. Add a padlock and your good to go. Most people think that thing is full of some sailor or soldier's dirty underwear and won't go near it. Like many of the other posts say never use a bag with any dive logos on it. I used my duffel bag for my last trip to the Yucatan and it worked out great.:shades:

Lots of talk about stolen gear. Anyone ever have this happen? When and where? I too avoid all stickers, patches etc. on my stuff. I figured that it was a good idea for more reason than one. Thanks, Dave

Definitely a dive bag. I used to use a large baseball equipment duffel bag for my gear, but the last time I was on a boat, on leaving the pier to go home, the shoulder strap ripped out of the stitching. Now i did have about 30# of lead in it along with the rest of my gear so I admit it was overwieghted, but it was going to go anyway, I just sped the process.
I purchased an Akona and they are very rugged and can carry that much wieght plus your gear. I don't use that much lead anymore, but I could safely put that much in my bag now and not worry about it at all.
If you use a duffel that is nothing less than heavy duty, then carry your lead in another bag! As for air travel, you definitely want something that avoids the "DIVE GEAR" labels.
A large suitcase?
Rock on!

I am using a hockey bag right now and it is being ripped all apart. I am looking for something a little tougher. Granted I was stupid and put my weights in there as well, I know I had a blonde moment, and I am brunette!!! I think I am going to get another one and try it again, they are so roomy.

Back
Top Bottom