Scuba bag vs. Standard duffel bag

Which gear bag do you prefer for airline travel.

• Standard duffel bag

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Bag designed specifically for scuba gear

Votes: 16 50.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dadiver

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to know the pros and cons regarding the use of a gear bag designed specifically for scuba gear vs. a standard duffel bag? Most of our diving will require us to travel via commercial airliner.

If anyone has recommendations for a dive bag preferably for (2) sets of equipment (BC, Fins, Regs, Mask/Snorkel, Boots and Wet suits) I would appreciate the input.

I use to use the Pelican cases prior to 9/11. Now they just attract attention, cause TSA to you-know-what a brick, and are now even causing attention at check in for additional fees.

I have gone to a local store....walmart...lowes...home depot...with my bcd...and found a very tough "tupper ware" like plastic container that my bcd will fit it well but snuggly and a few other items...hood...mask...small things.

Then i put this plastic container into a BUM bag which is nothing more than a duffle with a huge zipper.

This does a couple of things for me. It gives me a little more assurance the 'luggage apes' wont damage my bck and integrated air source by tossing it like a sack of fertilizer....and the bag is non-descript so it does not yelll ''dive gear...steal me!!!''' .... nor does it cause attention at check in to cause an additional fee for hauling dive gear (ALL airlines have clauses allowing them to charge for dive gear...BY THE PIECE..) but they dont for golf clubs or hang gliders...duh.

I still carry my regs....computer...dive logs....and pony bottle (drained and plugged) on the plane as carry on. No problems so far.

I use a huge duffle with pullout backpack straps. My wife has the same, except hers has wheels. When traveling somewhere warm, we can fit both sets of gear into 1 bag.

I would never buy a bag covered in scuba logos. THey scream "Thousands of dollars of stuff.. steal me" as they spin around the bagage claim area, while your waiting for the old lady infrount of you to get off the plane.

We still use our Pelican for airline travel. They didn't even open it the last time. Just rubbed some explosive detecting tape over the handles.

I would never use anything with a scuba logo on it. Not only will you get charged more by some airlines as suggested it's like waving a red flag in front of a thief.

i used a real backpacker's backpack for all my scuba stuff. Not only can u carry it it with comfort (remember this pack is designed for hikers to go hike the backcountry with heavy weights), the backpack is designed to carry far more weight than your average scuba gear and is one tough bag. The waist straps transfers the weight to your waist instead of your fragile shoulders.

This pack also have a front access loading which means, the pack opens up fully on the front, better than a duffle bag. My halcyon Pioneer system goes in without a hitch due to the wide openings.

Granite Gear Nimbus Access 3800 - Closeout
$149.93 Item 701912
Compare at: $230.00 34% Off!

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...&storeId=8001&catalogId=40000008001&langId=-1

linky to the manufacturer

http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/light/access3800/

I've got an LLBean rolling Adventure duffle and it works great. Comes in a wide variety of colors which make it easy to locate on the airport conveyors.

on my last transatlantic flight i just used my usual mesh dive bag (smallish size) and put everything in it besides the fins, then put that bag in a normal duffel bag and put fins and other random crap in it.

my backplate at the bottom making a nice shield and my wetsuits on top.

went through both ways with no problem and it looks just like average duffel bag.

when i flew out of orlando international i found out that they searched my bag: they opened the outside duffel but left the inside dive bag alone. (i had zip ties on both)

Take a look at the bags available from Akona. I use their travel bags for airline travel and the huge duffels for boat trips and I absolutely love them.

In my experience, the Akonas are a bit small for two sets of gear. The LL Bean Adventure duffels are big enough (get the biggest size), as are the mongo Walmart plastic tubs...

my experience has been that the best bang-for-the-buck is a hockey bag from wal-mart.
Mine has the wheels like the akona bags, is the same size, and was 10$ :wink:
(tough as nails too!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom