$ Scuba and the Wife $

Spending on scuba and the wife....

• I tell my wife exactly about how much I spend on scuba diving.

Votes: 103 48.1%
  • I partly tell her about how much I spend but I sneak things around so she won't complain.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • My wife thinks scuba diving is free and the equipment were all presents from santa claus.

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • I'm a woman and I am frustrated that this is the only option I can click on!

Votes: 36 16.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to feel that lying about what I spent was justified. I'm not even sure how I came to that conclusion. I am no longer a member of that team and now tell her about everything...ahem, actually I ask her about the budget first...before I buy it. Sure it means less gear now, but she is a financial genius and with our savings growing will be able to afford the stuff I want with delayed gratification.
The biggest plus: Trust.

I used to feel that lying about what I spent was justified. I'm not even sure how I came to that conclusion. I am no longer a member of that team and now tell her about everything...ahem, actually I ask her about the budget first...before I buy it. Sure it means less gear now, but she is a financial genius and with our savings growing will be able to afford the stuff I want with delayed gratification.
The biggest plus: Trust.

She's standing right behind you, isn't she?

:eyebrow:

In fact I just grabbed it to use. THANK YOU!

Don't you need to footnote that to "Mrs. RJP" or something?

:shocked2:

She's standing right behind you, isn't she?

:eyebrow:

Not currently.

I do find it hard to resist when I find something I really want not to just buy it and ask for forgiveness. The problem is, last time I did that I lost my job the following month, she had to help foot the bill for my new drysuit. I do not want her to be put in that kind of circumstance again. Stupid credit cards...

She dives to so it's usually an easy mutual decision. It goes a lot smoother when you're pulling the purse strings together.

If there's a conflict Ican usually play the "safety" card.

Pete

The only problem we have is that she spends more than I do. Scuba requires a whole wardrobe, doncha know. A whole closet full of different wetsuits, vests and hoods for different conditions. I'm just glad she doesn't equate fins with shoes! :shocked2:

I know exactly how much we spend on diving each month, since our finances are an open book. It was easy to keep a sharp eye on things when we were both on OC, since I'm very familiar with all the equipment and moreover like to trawl the message boards for quality second-hand gear. It's much harder now that my SO has made the transition to CC, as I'm quite uneducated about rebreathers and their 'bits' (I have no intention of ever diving a rebreather, but I'm trying to learn the language to follow his conversations, as it were). We'll buy items on his wish-list that contribute materially to his safety and comfort, like a new BOV. Others - like a fourth dive computer (we already have two decent decompression computers and two recreational computers) and a second rebreather - not so much!

My ex-wife had no problem with $ spent in support of my various hobbies (fishing, hunting, diving) because I usually made very good use of it. GF is also a diver but more fish than adventurer (AOW and nitrox qual and looking at Rescue Diver in the near future). She is happy I got my present quals and supported my desire to enter the tech side even though she wants none of it herself. She has girlies time with her friends and have no problem with me having hua time with my more adventurer friends. We still dive 60 - 70 dives a year together both locally and out of country. She covers her own expenses and I cover mine.

I blame her for everything I buy. She knew full well what I gear hound I am. It's her own fault for getting us OW Certs as a Xmas gift one year. She doesn't usually ask, but if she does, I tell her that she doesn't want to know and she usually just shakes her head. I make sure to get her plenty of random gifts to keep her appeased.

It's worked so far, we'll see how she takes it when my BP/W shows up.

Hah!!!! The gf just went in to our Lds of choice to rent some gear, as she doesn't feel that she is ready to purchase her own, and they were all out for the dates we needed. She's now borrowing some of mine, since I now have that BP/W coming (thank you Tobin), but she still needed a reg......

Chaching, I said I'd take care of it, et voila, a new reg for me!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom