Scuba Activities ? (things to do underwater?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i was interested in knowing what where some of the activities that you can do on scuba that are not as widely know.

Are you just talking recreational, or commercial? Public Safety Divers, Navy Divers, the people who work on underwater construction, they come to mind...

I just didn't know whether 'hunt dead bodies' or 'place bombs on ship hulls' would sound morbid or something...:D

Richard.

I just didn't know whether 'hunt dead bodies' or 'place bombs on ship hulls' would sound morbid or something...:D

Richard.

haha!! well when you put it like that, recreational is more along the line of what im talking about. unless placing bombs on stuff underwater is a recreation.

Not being the exhibitionist type, we tried it in the pool. I would recommend knee protection for her unless there's a soft sandy bottom.

Sounds like someone needs to work on their buoyancy... :wink:

Michael

You can, ah, what would be the word, maybe survey (?), an underwater area & diagram it (this gets discussed some in the PADI Underwater Navigation manual).

At Pennyroyal Blue Springs quarry, the dive shop held an underwater 'treasure hunt' this summer.

There is an activity called 'muck diving,' which some enjoy.

Some people penetrate wrecks, caverns and cave systems.

Me and my ex found a secluded little dive spot......

Perhaps you should send a proposal to PADI to offer a specialty certification in that. People have made fun of topics like underwater basket weaving, for example. Why not... If nothing else, the course design and check-out dives ought to be interesting.

Richard.

another interesting thing i just looked up was harvesting live organisms for aquariums. it sounds more commercial but i guess people can do it, right? dont know if you'd need a license to take ornamental fish though

Me and my ex found a secluded little dive spot......

Perhaps you should send a proposal to PADI to offer a specialty certification in that. People have made fun of topics like underwater basket weaving, for example. Why not... If nothing else, the course design and check-out dives ought to be interesting.

Something tells me she wouldn't be so interested in helping me co-author :eyebrow:

Not being the exhibitionist type, we tried it in the pool. I would recommend knee protection for her unless there's a soft sandy bottom.

Soft sandy bottom???? On the pool or her?

Yikes.

A "friend of a friend" of mine attempted this in his mis-spent youth, whenever he had an adventurous friend...

• Beware Damselfish- they can be quite disconcerting.

• The mastery of the forgotten certification training module of actual "buddy breathing" would be well advised in order to progress beyond standard activities.

• Unanticipated hydraulic vacuum caused by the simple rapid intermingling of body parts can be problematic. It can turn a "bucket-list / lifetime dream-dive" into a real advanced diving, task-loading nightmare!

• Either inflate your BCDs in an overhead environment or both buddies should be heavily overweighted. (15+ lbs)

• Long hose configurations will usually get more gals to try diving.

• After all your best intentions and efforts- she may leave you for an Octopus.

• Plan your dive, dive your plan.

Now~ it wasn't all that much "fun" when [-]-we-[/-] they were doing it, but it seemed to be more amusing later in the recounting of the events.

That and writing the PADI Specialty Course. The patch is really cool.

Go for it- show her your log... get some bottom time.

Last edited:
Diving is good

All that other crap feels far to coarse for me

What this boils down to, is how easily people get bored with diving.

Some are perfectly happy diving in shallow reefs looking at the pretty fishies, while others want more

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom