Screwed Ordering Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d once bubbled...

Be a bit more mature about what? I was simply suggesting maybe he should retire maybe his game is starting to slip since's he's been at it for so long.

If I'm a dealer and someone calls me with my measurements, I would tell that person that I can't help them unless I personally SEE them to take actual measurments for them .I WOuld direct them to their closest LDS. unliess of course I was just interested in maiing a quick buck and didn't care about my customer's outcome.

Come one, your retirement comment was a jab - you certainly wouldn't trying to be helpful :rolleyes:

Dan said

Joey had decided that he should get the XXXL size since he had been studying the size charts and the XXL might be a little small with underwear. Upon checking with Bare, I agreed he was borderline XXL, but that the XXXL was to fit up to 6'4" (which he knew) and also that Special Edition suits would only allow a 2" reduction in leg length. I reminded him that the suit would be AT LEAST 2-3" longer, but he "was used to that" and said he didn't need custom, even though I told him it would give the best fit and if there was a problem with the manufacture Bare would look after it, but if there was a problem with measurement it was his mistake.

Seems to me that Dan did exactly what you said, and you decided based on the info, that saving the money was still worth it. Its not in Dan's best interest to sell a suit to you that they don't think the customer is going to be happy with. The few hundred dollars they make just isn't worth it.

Darryl

dvleemin once bubbled...

Hi,
You missed my point about Walmart and Home depot. What I was trying to say is they are big enough where they can afford to eat customers mistakes, or other things that really aren't their fault. A dive shop doesn't have the luxery of being this big.

I would guess that in the online cases you mentioned the buyer's body differ from a 'stock :confused: ' body as Taatds?

Yeah, the whole not being able to shorten thing is a bit odd. Didn't Taatd say he talked to Bare, and they said they couldn't do it (I'm too lazy to read through all these posts again :)) If thats the case, its certainly nots Dan's fault, although I certainly agree it wouldn't make me too impressed with Bare. That being said I really get the impression from Taatds posts that we're hearing a very one-sided story. I wonder if there's more behind this . . .

Darryl

I could see people saying it's my fault IF I was crying that I'm unhappy with the suit. If I called up demanding my money back from Dans' or the like. Everyone seems to be missing the point here. The suit has been PAYED IN FULL!!!! I still have not recieved the hood that I PAYED for. All I wanted from Dan's was for them to tell me to send back the suit and they would have it fixed ASAP. NOt that I would have to pay more money and get Trek Bottks that I DIDN"T WANT IN THE FIRST PLACE. That's was I'm so mad about all of this. And the fact that Bare told me Dan's suggested I go custom when in fact DAn himself told me Bare DOES NOT DO custom fittings.

taat2d once bubbled...

I could see people saying it's my fault IF I was crying that I'm unhappy with the suit. If I called up demanding my money back from Dans' or the like. Everyone seems to be missing the point here. The suit has been PAYED IN FULL!!!! I still have not recieved the hood that I PAYED for. All I wanted from Dan's was for them to tell me to send back the suit and they would have it fixed ASAP. NOt that I would have to pay more money and get Trek Bottks that I DIDN"T WANT IN THE FIRST PLACE. That's was I'm so mad about all of this. And the fact that Bare told me Dan's suggested I go custom when in fact DAn himself told me Bare DOES NOT DO custom fittings.

According to Dan you knew that the suit would be long int he legs, and accepted that. Why whould Dan be responsible for fixing the suit, when it was made as you requested.

Obviously this all comes down to a conversion that only 2 people were involved with, so there will never be any proof one way or the other . . .

Darryl

dvleemin once bubbled...

According to Dan you knew that the suit would be long int he legs, and accepted that. Why whould Dan be responsible for fixing the suit, when it was made as you requested.

Obviously this all comes down to a conversion that only 2 people were involved with, so there will never be any proof one way or the other . . .

Darryl

You're right Dan told me the suit legs would measure 32 inches. Not bad considering my inseam is 30 inches. When I measured the inseam of the suit they measure 36 inches. Gee... That's strange. Dan told me they were going to be shortened to 32 inches... Hmmmmm

taat2d...

Here's my unsolicited advice. I don't know who was right and who was wrong, but you may want to consider just dropping this on the board. I'm surprised they let you order a suit if they had your measurements, since it could only lead to trouble down the line, but the environment here is such that people will fight until the death....it just ends up turning into a pissing match.

You'll never get those who disagree to see your side. Trust me...I've been in my fair share of unsuccessful fights. Look up "dive gloves in coz" and you'll get my drift.

remember the old adage about opinions....everyone has one, but no one wants to look at the other guy's.

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
but the environment here is such that people will fight until the death....it just ends up turning into a pissing match.

You'll never get those who disagree to see your side.

The only sane post in this entire thread if you want another piece of unsolicited advice...

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
taat2d...

Here's my unsolicited advice. I don't know who was right and who was wrong, but you may want to consider just dropping this on the board. I'm surprised they let you order a suit if they had your measurements, since it could only lead to trouble down the line, but the environment here is such that people will fight until the death....it just ends up turning into a pissing match.

You'll never get those who disagree to see your side. Trust me...I've been in my fair share of unsuccessful fights. Look up "dive gloves in coz" and you'll get my drift.

remember the old adage about opinions....everyone has one, but no one wants to look at the other guy's.

Yeah Aaron you're right. It's like beating a dead horse I suppose. The bottom line is by next week when I get my suit back and start diving I will have forgotten all about this nasty episode.

dvleemin wrote...
As with all things ordering over the phone, or net, you've made the concious decision to try and saving money while increasing your risk.
Not necessarily. I've ordered several items over the net simply because the local dealer is too big a risk, even if they were to match or beat online prices.

dvleemin wrote...
This includes the risk of being defrauded (ie the suit never arrives), or something not fitting as well as you hoped. Darryl
You can also run those same risks with local dealers.

metridium once bubbled...

You can also run those same risks with local dealers.

My assumption is you don't pay until you have the suit and have tried it on. Is this not correct?

Darryl

dvleemin wrote...

My assumption is you don't pay until you have the suit and have tried it on. Is this not correct?

Darryl
In my experience, dive shops want at least 50% down before placing a custom order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom