Scout lights on a bp/harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Why unclip at all. You can use the light while it is still clipped to the chest D-ring. Your hands stay more or less in position (a little closer than I like, but easily manageable).
I'm not qualified to answer that one; I haven't even deployed one other than in practice.

Turning it around a bit, why does GUE teach it the way I described? Or is it taught differently in the more advanced classes?

Why unclip at all. You can use the light while it is still clipped to the chest D-ring. Your hands stay more or less in position (a little closer than I like, but easily manageable).

I can tell you why I feel the need to unclip...

When I'm working in the local zero or low vis waters (we're talking six inches or less here), I find that leaving the light clipped off causes some problems. The angle of the light illuminates the particulate matter in the water pretty badly, and all I can see is a complete "white out" of whatever I'm looking at, which is typically the bottom (for fossils). I find it much more effective to hold a small light in my left hand, about four inches above the bottom, and pointed directly down on my subject. Then I use my right hand to dig, with my face about six inches from that spot.

I can't accomplish this as easily if I leave the light clipped off.

In clearer waters, I don't think I'd ever bother to unclip.

vodolaz once bubbled...
I'm not qualified to answer that one; I haven't even deployed one other than in practice.

Turning it around a bit, why does GUE teach it the way I described? Or is it taught differently in the more advanced classes?

The method I described is how GUE taught me during DIR-F.

If I'm already on a backup, the last thing I want is to lose that light. No amount of fumbling will unlock my clips.

In addition, if I do need both hands, I can drop the light and it will stay attached. Easy recovery.

If I need to stow the light, then its relatively easy to move the elastic bands back into place.

Try air sharing with cave/wreck penetration while using a backup light to light your way out. If you want to leave it clipped off you'll need three hands, minimum, to use it effectively. In that case you'll want to deploy, leaving it clipped off until you get everything stowed and begin your exit, then remove it.

In OW it is beneficial to have it clipped off most of the time, for reasons previously stated.

The method I described is how GUE taught me during DIR-F.
That's where I learned the method I mentioned too. Was your instructor a tech or cave guy? Mine was a caver.

He's done quite a bit of both. Caver with the WKPP and a diver on the Brittanic expedition.

My group was primarily wreck divers.

It's strange that GUE would teach two differing approaches in the Fundamentals class. The instructor mentioned that a couple of minor deviations in technique between Tech and Cave were to be ironed out soon after the class. Perhaps this was one of the things he had in mind.

My class was in December. Anyone taken the class more recently? What were you taught?

Hi

Isn't it just a case of turning it on first before unclipping ?

I guess it depends on the circumstances whether you need to actually unclip or not. If your primary is shot then you may need to unclip to use your backup effectively on exiting, but if you can get your primary going again then you might leave it clipped to have hands free illumination while you're sorting it. Also if you are on a wall dive or away from the bottom then you may leave it clipped to prevent loss as you may then have no lights which would be even worse than some inconvenience by having it clipped.

The main focus of the procedure as I understand it is to ensure that you turn the light on before unclipping it. Leaving it clipped or unclipped depends entirely on the circumstances.

IMHO

WL

We've both said this about each other before - we're on the same journey, just on separate paths.

So you're scoping out an HID.... nice. I finally did it a couple of months ago, after months of poo-pooing them, and weeks of anguish and public humiliation as I wrestled with the decision.

In Summary:

* HID-Lite (Light Cannon) came first. A fine light - but quite bulky, expensive to operate (all those cells to schlep around) fragile, heavy, and never around when I really wanted it because it wasn't integrated into the kit. I wasn't wearing it, so I constantly left it behind. Very limited in its usage - it has a wide throw, not good for daytime signaling or communication. Cool entry level light, but not a viable long term solution for me.

* The overrated Scout light came next. I was using a Tec40 (which I use now as a 3rd in the pocket) and thought I'd drink a little more kool-aid and check out the Scout. Got a great deal on ebay, picked one up...underwhelmed. Solid, reliable, just no biggie.

* Lastly - the Halcyon HID10. Great ebay deal (off-set another $140 by selling my light cannon on eBay that same week.) Laser-like adjustable beam, small, light weight, and always with me as its part of the rig. Not always in use, but always with me. I can't believe how fast it charges and how long it lasts. I don't even bring the charger unless I'm on a 2 day boat.

I spent months here cracking on the zillion dollar HID's as some kind of pretentious luxury. What finally pushed me over was the communication aspect of it - the whole keeping track of your buddy (and vice versa) throughout the dive. Its a great thing to work in tandem, just crusing along, seeing the beams and communicating throughout the dive that way.

I'm still pretty new to team diving and formation diving, but I'm totally into it and the assurance it delivers - beats the heck out the constant spinning to keep in visual with your buddy thing.

It was a stretch, and they are quite expensive even on a good day (my exposure suit is about the only thing even in the ball park) but I've not regretted it for a moment and now consider it an essential piece of safety equipment I would never dive without.

Enjoy the journey.

K

SeaJay:
I'm using a small bolt snap tied (with cave line) to the back end of the light, with that special knot in it that they show online.

I can't find where the knot is shown online ... I found it once and now have lost it ... can you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom