Scout lights on a bp/harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay once bubbled...
I just checked out some of the stuff that Halcyon offers... The lights there...

Total: almost $1400!

Holy smokes!

Forget that, man. Sheesh!

You stold my "sheesh". Well, anyway...

You need to get over thinking that every piece of dive gear you own has to be Halcyon. There are HID lights that are just as good for much less. And, yes, I have Halcyon gear...some of it.
Take that for what it's worth

MD

SeaJay once bubbled...

I really like the NiMH batteries. They seem small and a really great idea.

I then looked at size, made a decision as to what I think I might like, and then decided on a light head. For kicks, I decided on the middle-ground HID light.

Holy smokes!

Yowza... That's a lot of diving that I'd have to give up simply to have a light.

Thats why I said that Robs (WYDT) HID was a bargain............

You can also pick up a nice Halcyon for around $600 new.

Dodge make a car that sells for over $80,000. That doest mean all Dodges are overpriced.

SeaJay once bubbled...

I really like the NiMH batteries. They seem small and a really great idea.

I then looked at size, made a decision as to what I think I might like, and then decided on a light head. For kicks, I decided on the middle-ground HID light.

Holy smokes!

Yowza... That's a lot of diving that I'd have to give up simply to have a light.

As nice as it is to have a 18W HID Halcyon, you really don't need to spend that kind of money.

I use a Dive-Rite 10W compact head HID. Its far less money than the Halcyon and works just fine for ocean diving. Sure, its not as bright as my friends' 18W steel cutters, but its far less expensive.

A few weeks ago I bought the upgraded batteries. I believe (can't quite remember) that I should get about 4 hours of actual use out of the thing now. Since an ocean dive should not last more than 90 minutes, I can easily do two dives. If I needed more power, I'd toss the other battery into my bag and swap during the SI.

Trivial maybe, but wouldn't it be better to turn the light on, remove the bungies, then unclip? Otherwise fumbling with the bungies could cause you to drop the light.

I split the each of the two bands per side which came with my harness, restrain each light with two of them, and have the other two in reserve.

Why unclip at all. You can use the light while it is still clipped to the chest D-ring. Your hands stay more or less in position (a little closer than I like, but easily manageable).

If I'm already on a backup, the last thing I want is to lose that light. No amount of fumbling will unlock my clips.

In addition, if I do need both hands, I can drop the light and it will stay attached. Easy recovery.

If I need to stow the light, then its relatively easy to move the elastic bands back into place.

If your in a "backup situation" you will find that having the light clipped off is actually advantageous. Especially if your trying to replace a light head, or figure out why your primary is out.

Of course, that's what it looks like now... We'll see by the end of the auction. :)

I don't know what came over me... I read the ad for the light, and just had to take a "reading" of what the author wrote. I don't know why or what came over me. It just had to be read aloud. It's nicely written. :D

I know, I'm weird. I'm even weirder to have told y'all about it. :D

Don't know what the hell has come over me. :)

You are starting to scare me SeaJay...:wacko:

I'm starting to scare myself. :lol:

Dunno what got into me. :D

Maybe I've been out of the water too long?

Public silliness = crazy? I dunno. :D

Back
Top Bottom