Scout lights on a bp/harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to think it was a PITA to use innertube on the scouts. I tried bungee and it is easier to use, but I went back to inner tube because the bungee tended to roll up the light.

These days I have no problem. I don't even think about it, really. Just practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice....

I use one loop per light, about 3/4" wide, placed just above the head. To deploy I hook the tube on the outside between the light and the harness with my thumb and stretch it over the head while pressing up on the lens. It seems to work really well that way.

BTW, the Scouts are the backups to have, but they suck as primarys. Even if you can't afford a cannister something a little more powerful might be better suited for you now. To me it seems silly to trade so much power for a little bit more reliability.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

Not that I've noticed. Its fairly elastic.

I'm sure that it'd get annoying if I were using these as primaries. But for backups its fine.

Yeah, that is exactly what the problem was... And why I was wondering what to do.

I thinned out my inner tubes a bit, and they got much more "stretchy." I have only used one per light, just behind the head of the Scout light.

I've always been able to just pull down and out, and use it that way... But getting the bolt snap to release then was a pain, if I wanted to remove the light completely.

If I want to remove the light completely, I'll hook, say, the inner tube of my right (primary) light with my right thumb and pull down. When my Scout light swings free, I'll turn it on, use it, and/or unhook it and use it.

I've practiced a hundred times tonight, getting this maneuver down pat. To replace the light, I clip (I'm getting pretty good at this too) then turn the light off. I have an easier time then reaching across with my left hand and stowing the light while my right thumb hooks and holds the inner tube open, but I'm getting good at doing it with one hand, too... That's gonna take some more practice. I "palm" the head of the light, push it back, and open the inner tube with my thumb and hook the light. All with one hand. That's gonna take some practice.

Yep, y'all are brilliant. That's exactly what it took... Thin the inner tubes out a little. Sheesh. How amazingly simple... Now it all works like it's supposed to!

Now why didn't I think of that? :D

I have to agree with Northeastwrecks... I think I'd want TWO inner tubes instead of just one if these were just backups for me. Unfortunately, they aren't. :(

Will give it a try on Sunday - I usually only carry one on the left, (keeps the right D-ring less cluttered for when the HID is clipped off there) and never use it. Two on night dives.

Now I want an HID light. :D They sound awesome.

I never thought much of them, since most of the diving here is the "braille" kind anyway.

I wonder if they'll penetrate these inky black waters?

Scubaroo once bubbled...
...you take your backplate off each time before sitting down to write posts, right? :rolleyes:
You can just see it, can't you? Lol...

Guilty as charged! :D

Why not spend $50 or $60 to get a "normal" scuba light, like a UK C8? That way you have a fairly inexpensive light that's much more useful than a Scout as a primary.

SeaJay.
Dont get too hung up on HID.
For the type of diving your doing a 50 Watt Halogen will do just fine, certainly as a temporary measure.
You can pick up a Pro 6 on ebay, or around the boards for about $150 Bucks. Then when your ready to upgrade, all you need is a new HID head. I just bought a 10w HID head for $200 bucks.

WYDT is also selling a Pro 3 HID for about $350.00, Thats also a BARGAIN.

I haven't even begun to shop for can lights.

I understood that the "good stuff," at least new, starts around $750. Is that not true?

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
WYDT is also selling a Pro 3 HID for about $350.00, Thats also a BARGAIN.
The lighthead itself is worth almost that much. Free canister, SeaJay!

Just followed my own suggestion and cut the inner tube strip in half on my harness - it's so much easier to access the Scout, err... Canadian Extreme backup light. Thanks to Northeastwrecks for the suggestion of using both pieces of inner tube on the light, and leaving it clipped off for use - I tried this out and it works really well. Just pull the inner tube nearest the head over the end of the light, turn the light on, and then either leave it clipped off, or unclip it and pull the light out from under the second inner tube. And it's actually possible to restow the light now that the inner tube strip is thinner. I couldn't do that before with gloves on.

I was thinking of you while I had the backplate on walking around the house with a set of drygloves on my hands SeaJay! :D

Back
Top Bottom