Scout alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used Ikelite PC's for years - never had a problem, leak or failure with 'em.
Rick

It sort of depends on how far yo uare going. Another popular light is the little 4AA Princton lite. You can get a bulb for it that isn't overdriven, it burns plenty long, has a simple swtich and mounts nicely in the DIR postion unlike all those 4C type things. Only thing is the rubber covers fall off I glue them on when I get a new one.

These are about 1/2 the price and probably cant go deeper than recreational diving. You have to saw off the attachment buckles and file off the bumps for grip. I think the bulb head is the same as the Scout.

Quick comparison review:

The Scout and CE lights are both great products. The 3 most noticeable differences:
1. Much more texture to the knurling on the CE light.
2. 2 O-rings on the CE to just 1 on the Scout
3. CE light is much less expensive

Bottom line: They both seem to be great lights.

Originally posted by GearHead
I just did the same thing, O-ring, well almost. I bought a Scout from my LDS, and another from Darren plus a spool. I agree that he's great to deal with, very responsive to e-mails. Also, even though I paid full shipping on both ebay auctions, he refunded me some cash as he's shipping them together. I'll do a comparison once I have both his and the Scout, but I'm sure UP's comparison review in another thread covers all the pertinent details.

Canadian Extreme Ebay Tech Scuba Store

I did a DIRF class last weekend and one of the GUE instructors took my backup light off my harness to illustrate a point about d-rings and snaps. After he was done, he kind of did a double take and then handed it to another GUE diver. This diver took it apart and was showing it to JJ, et. al. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but they put it back together and handed it back to me a couple minutes later. They didn't say anything to me at all...

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. :wink:

Originally posted by O-ring
I did a DIRF class last weekend and one of the GUE instructors took my backup light off my harness to illustrate a point about d-rings and snaps. After he was done, he kind of did a double take and then handed it to another GUE diver. This diver took it apart and was showing it to JJ, et. al. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but they put it back together and handed it back to me a couple minutes later. They didn't say anything to me at all...

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that conversation.

I was straining to hear, but MHK was using my body/gear for an example he was pointing out and I didn't want to blow it :D

"Uh, JJ, did we apply for patent protection on the Scout lights?..."

"Don't remember offhand, probably not. Why do you ask?"

:)

Jeff

That's probably a pretty good approximation of what went down. They are a "little" different, mostly just double oring and degree of "knurledness". I may sand those suckers down a little since they may cause wear on the webbing and I think they are going to cause the innertube to sever if I keep deploying them by just yanking...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom