Scout alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fetch

Contributor
Reaction score
Recent light thread prodded my memory:

Are there any good backup lights that y'all would recommend, with equivalent performance/features/durability to a Halcyon Scout (which costs way the ef too much).

Right now I have a UK C4, and while it isn't a bad light per se, I can definately see how I could have gotten better for a similar price.

Jeff

I use the Pelican Super Sabre light, straight forward design, (twist to turn on head) solid construction and xenon bulb.

Not fquite as good as the Scout, but the next best thing. IMHO

ID

Don....are the lights you mention the ones I saw bungeed to your shoulder harness straps?

In case you're interested, the light ID is talking about is available on leisurepro.com (under "lights" :wink: ) for $21.

So tempting....

Jeff

There was another thread about them so you may want to search and see who uses them...they are a little cheaper than scouts and seem to be of similar construction..

CE Lights

:D

Anyway, I broke down and ordered 2 of them and a spool today...I should get them in a few days and will report on their construction vs. the Scout.

Darren was a top notch guy to deal with but he doesn't take credit cards...I used Pay Pal rather than cashier's check or money order.

Anyway, I broke down and ordered 2 of them and a spool today...

Cave Excursions( http://www.sidemount.com ), Bill Rennakers cave shop in Luraville FL, has what I believe is the exact same light. It's machined from a single piece of Delrin, takes 3 'C' size batteries, and is twist on-off. They sell them for $60, so the price is about the same.

They seem to be of very durable construction. I have checked 'em out a few times, debating whether or not to buy a couple for my backup lights. They are a bit long for where I mount my backup lights, but I may give 'em a try anyways.

Mike

I just did the same thing, O-ring, well almost. I bought a Scout from my LDS, and another from Darren plus a spool. I agree that he's great to deal with, very responsive to e-mails. Also, even though I paid full shipping on both ebay auctions, he refunded me some cash as he's shipping them together. I'll do a comparison once I have both his and the Scout, but I'm sure UP's comparison review in another thread covers all the pertinent details.

Canadian Extreme Ebay Tech Scuba Store

Originally posted by O-ring
:D

Anyway, I broke down and ordered 2 of them and a spool today...I should get them in a few days and will report on their construction vs. the Scout.

Darren was a top notch guy to deal with but he doesn't take credit cards...I used Pay Pal rather than cashier's check or money order.

Just come back from a dive today.
I used my Pelican & buddy used a scout.
Differances are Pelican Even lighting overall
Scout Same size of even lighitng then a larger area of not so even lighting.

Same brigthness but both did not have fresh batteriers.

:D love my Pelican.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom