Scorpion Bay & Dirty Shirt closing next week!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were at Canyon...oh, probably last September or so. We dove the cove near the marina (south of the marina where it is non-motorized craft only) and found the vis was approximately 0-2' wouldn't dive the same area again unless you paid me really good, but we're hoping to take a boat out to some of the areas farther back in the lake to check it out.

billmach:
with that being said has anyone actually been to one of the other lakes in a few years to check. or has eveyone just been going by the status quo about the other lakes.
Someone posted about a month ago saying Saguaro had 2" viz :D

billmach:
with that being said has anyone actually been to one of the other lakes in a few years to check. or has eveyone just been going by the status quo about the other lakes.
The reason I ask is when i was in fort lauderdale everyone said lauderdale by the sea reefs havent been good diving in years so no one went but the day i was leaving i was in a dive shop and the owner told me he was diving there that morning and it was perfect diving because no one had been diving there for two years and didnt know it had gotten better.

I didn't say I haven't been to the lakes. I've checked them out, just haven't gotten in cuz you can tell from the surface it was bad. :D

LBTS is excellent diving. I was there last May and had some great dives!

shark.byte.usa:
Went to Scorpion today and they have an "official" looking notice posted at Dirty Shirt Rd. & Pennisula, saying "This area closed Apr. 2, 2007, until further notice".

That sux! :frown:

shark.byte.usa:
Went to Scorpion today and they have an "official" looking notice posted at Dirty Shirt Rd. & Pennisula, saying "This area closed Apr. 2, 2007, until further notice".

-Garrett

Until a gate is up and they're doing work, I say Scorpion Bay is still open. :D

Dive-aholic:
I didn't say I haven't been to the lakes. I've checked them out, just haven't gotten in cuz you can tell from the surface it was bad. :D

LBTS is excellent diving. I was there last May and had some great dives!

That sux! :frown:
LBTS is a great place there was nothing more i loved than spending an evening at Mulligans watching the people
i never should have moved from there:shakehead
funny i lived there for yrs and didnt become a diver until i got to AZ:confused:
go figure:D

Work on marina site to begin despite suits
Permits, bids, environmental impacts at issue

Scott Wong
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 3, 2007 12:00 AM
Maricopa County and developers of a new marina at Lake Pleasant will begin preparing the site for construction this week, even though two lawsuits opposing the $20 million project remain unresolved.

Officials at Lake Pleasant Regional Park, which is operated by the county, plan to install closure signs and shut down parts of the shoreline at Dirty Shirt Cove beginning this week.

The cove sits on the western edge of the lake in north Peoria.

Andrew Federhar, the attorney representing opponents of the project, said developers still had not obtained all necessary construction permits and that the county essentially had put the cart before the horse in announcing the closure plan.

Mike Pretasky Sr. of Skipper Marine Development, which will build and manage Scorpion Bay Marina & Yacht Club, said his company expected to secure the last of its permits, a 404 permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, this week.

County officials said they felt confident about their plans after the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation determined the new marina would have no significant impact on the environment and would not require a more in-depth environmental review.

"We're moving forward," said Dawna Taylor, spokeswoman for the county Parks and Recreation Department.

David Maule-Ffinch and his Pensus Group, which owns the only existing marina at the lake, sued last year challenging the way the county awarded a construction contract for the privately financed marina. The case has been appealed to the state high court, which could decide this month whether to hear it, Federhar said.

Maule-Ffinch filed a similar suit against the bureau, which owns the land where the marina would be built. That suit was amended later to claim that the bureau had failed to adequately review the environmental impacts. A judge said the case would be heard May 8.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0403peomarina0403.html

What I find interesting is the 2nd paragraph, they are closing down "parts" of the shoreline, wonder what parts??

-Garrett

I saw that, published last Friday. I've been looking, but haven't found any new articles this week.

Dive-aholic:
I saw that, published last Friday. I've been looking, but haven't found any new articles this week.
I saw it in the Republic yesterday, They republish articles with very minor changes, like adding 1 sentence and changing the title, on slow news days in different sections to fill in space. I've seen them do this a couple times. It's a weak rag...

-Garrett

Back
Top Bottom