Scorpion Bay & Dirty Shirt closing next week!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For when we lose the link:

Costs pile up to fund PR, legal battle over marina
Scott Wong
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 27, 2007 12:00 AM

The battle over a proposed 240-acre marina at Lake Pleasant is being waged in the courts and media.

Those who hope to build the $20 million project and those who want to sink it each has forked over tens of thousands of dollars to some of the Valley's most-prominent law and public-relations firms.

And costs will only rise as the fight continues.

The cash pouring into this waterfront war illustrates how much is at stake for investors and opponents of Scorpion Bay Marina & Yacht Harbor, which is planned for the western shore of the lake in north Peoria.

Within a month of securing a building permit, investors have agreed to put $11 million into escrow to guarantee that the marina's first phase gets built. And Wisconsin-based Skipper Marine Development, which plans to build and operate the marina, has spent at least $1 million for design and other preliminary work, an executive said.

At the heart of the opposition to the project is Paradise Valley businessman David Maule-Ffinch and his Pensus Group, which owns the lake's only marina, Pleasant Harbor Marina.

Both sides are angling for a victory.

Mike Pretasky Sr., chairman and CEO of Skipper Marine, said his company has paid six figures in attorney fees to Phoenix-based Snell & Wilmer, one of the largest law firms in the western United States, with more than 400 lawyers and offices in four states.

The firm was retained to help negotiate a contract with Maricopa County, which operates the parkland where the marina would be built.

Snell & Wilmer stayed on to fight a pair of Pensus lawsuits.

Earlier this month, Skipper Marine hired Phoenix public-relations firm Hamilton, Gullett, Davis & Roman, whose clients include the Arizona Cardinals, Salt River Project and the Translational Genomics Research Institute.

"For a year and a half, we invested our time, energy and money in this project, and all of a sudden a challenge comes," Pretasky said. "We have no choice (but to fight back) because we have so much money invested."

To help block the marina project, Maule-Ffinch hired Phoenix law firm Fennemore Craig, which has more than 160 attorneys and offices in Denver, Las Vegas and throughout Arizona. The firm has represented the Phoenix Suns, Phelps Dodge Corp. and Southwest Airlines.

On behalf of Pensus, Fennemore Craig filed a suit last year challenging the way the county awarded a construction and management contract for the privately financed marina. The case has been appealed to the Arizona Supreme Court.

The law firm filed a similar suit against the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation after the agency determined the new marina would have no significant impact on the environment.

In addition, Rose & Allyn Public Relations, the Scottsdale firm notable for its work on the "Pink Taco Stadium" naming-rights proposal, has signed on with Pensus.

Maule-Ffinch said he is helping to finance the Protect Lake Pleasant Coalition, which calls itself a grass-roots organization of boaters, anglers and environmentalists who oppose the marina project.

The coalition agreed to pay Phoenix-based Goodman Schwartz Public Affairs and its subconsultants $12,000 for the first month of work and $9,000 each month thereafter, according to court records.

Meanwhile, employees from Kyle, Moyer & Co., a Scottsdale public-affairs firm that helps organize grass-roots groups, were paid to staff a Protect Lake Pleasant booth, hand out literature and speak with attendees at a Phoenix boat show in January, court records show.

Scorpion Bay investors say they want to create a family friendly, affordable alternative to Pleasant Harbor Marina.

But Maule-Ffinch and others say a second marina would overcrowd the lake, create environmental and safety hazards and cause the county to lose money in the long term.

"Just because there is a demand for thousands and thousands of slips on a lake, do you build them?" Maule-Ffinch said.

'The position of a lot of people is you shouldn't."

Interesting article. It looks like we might just have the Bay for one more season at least, unless the close the road and keep it closed with no construction activity going on. I guess we'll all know in less than a week.

Just got back from Lake Recon....

First, Dirty Shirt Rd. is still open until Apr. 2nd according to the booth lady (maybe she got her Monday's confused last time I asked), which goes with the Apr 3rd, start of dirt work in the 2nd post. We'll see....

Granny and I spent about 3 hours driving all over the county side, left no dirt rd unexplored, we even traveled North to Cottonwood Rd and the 4 lane boat ramp. Sad to say the pickens will be very slim, every spot worth investigating on the depth chart was inaccessible by vehicle and believe me we tried to reach 'em. Based on the depth chart we'll be hard pressed to get below 50' without doubles, a scooter, a kayak or a helluva surface swim without being in a boat traffic lane.

-Garrett

I could've saved you 3 hours if you had asked. Jen and I did the same thing on Sunday! :D

BTW, check out the cove between Desert Tortoise and the coves to the east of the 10-lane boat ramp. It's a little more of a swim, but according to the depth map, you can still reach 60-80' from shore in a single tank when the lake is full.

We really didn't have anything better to do :D

We were going to try this spot out, Roadrunner Trailhead
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...2.286721&spn=0.003809,0.005364&t=h&iwloc=addr
You park by the bathrooms, the building with the blue roof, and there is a path right behind it leading to the water. You maybe can get 60-80' if you head towards the island (NE), depending on how far you get and if the uw terrain is anything like the shoreline, it could be good.

One of the things I don't like about that area, though, is all the boat traffic coming from the 10-lane boat ramp and the marina.

Dive-aholic:
One of the things I don't like about that area, though, is all the boat traffic coming from the 10-lane boat ramp and the marina.
Ya that was/is the nice thing about the cove at Scorpion, very few boats ever went in there. We tried to take boat traffic into account when we were scouting, that's why we didn't like the coves to the West of the 10 lane boat ramp, there was a family there with jet skis and boats going inbetween that point and Desert Tortoise and it was only a Wednesday, it be suicidal on a summer weekend. Hate to say it, cuz they suck... but I think Tucow and Desert Tortoise will be the best bets after the closure. I almost dove DT yesterday, havent' dove there with the water level up in 2 years, but Granny told me there was alot of fish over thar.

Dive-aholic:
Yes, it is a hiking trail. There's a parking lot at the end of the road with barriers all around it to prevent vehicles from going off road. Long hike with gear on.

Sounds liek a good time to practice sidemounts and independents.You could always use one of the big utility carts that Lowes sells to hike all of the gear. Does anyone know how rough the trail is?

this is a depresing thread to come back to the state to.
I should have stayed in florida on business:)
so we are most likley losing our good dive spots and desert tortise has always been crowded. so i guess my next question is .
has anyone been to canyon or the other lakes in awhile
and what the conditions are at those lakes?
have they become divable at all ?

The other lakes in the valley haven't been decent to dive in a couple of years, some of them longer... :wink:

The closest decent diving you'll get is Lake Mohave, which is about a 2.5 hour drive from Lake Pleasant.

with that being said has anyone actually been to one of the other lakes in a few years to check. or has eveyone just been going by the status quo about the other lakes.
The reason I ask is when i was in fort lauderdale everyone said lauderdale by the sea reefs havent been good diving in years so no one went but the day i was leaving i was in a dive shop and the owner told me he was diving there that morning and it was perfect diving because no one had been diving there for two years and didnt know it had gotten better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom