Scorpion Bay & Dirty Shirt closing next week!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had heard from Karen and Rich Sunday after diving that they were going to start construction on the new marina next week. I asked the lady at the entrance booth today and she said, "Yes they are closing Dirty Shirt Rd. next Monday", which essentially eliminates access to these two dive sites.

So this week may (I'll believe it when I see it) be the last opportunity for you to dive Scorpion Bay & Dirty Shirt for awhile if ever. I got my last(?) two dives in today as I am off to California until next week.

-Garrett

I also just received a reply to an inquiry I sent to Skipper Buds after hearing Sunday of the construction starting. Not that I didn't trust the lady at the booth, but figured I'd try to get it from the horses mouth.

GM Scorpion Bay Marina via Email:
...Dirt work is scheduled to start April 3rd....We feel we will have the first phase of the marina project done by this fall. We will have the store and fuel docks done by January 08 and ready for the Boat Show and the Spring boating demands

-Garrett

Oh no! I think you should call Basil! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Stephen Ash:
Oh no! I think you should call Basil! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
PASS

As for new dive sites, I have my eye on a couple potential accessible locations, I plan to do a little reconnaissance diving one day next week.

Desert Tortoise has already started to be a madhouse on the weekends and is not my favorite site anyways, I think we can find someplace better.

-Garrett

We talked to a guy (didn't get his name) who was telling us that we should check out some sites off Cottonwood road. Maybe I will look into that in April. I just have to see a map to figure out where he was talking about....or just wing it.

Karen Cleveland:
We talked to a guy (didn't get his name) who was telling us that we should check out some sites off Cottonwood road. Maybe I will look into that in April. I just have to see a map to figure out where he was talking about....or just wing it.
Cottonwood Rd. is North up at the next county entrance.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...434&spn=0.015744,0.042915&t=h&om=1&iwloc=addr
I visited up there when the level was down and didn't see anything stand out and my map shows it as pretty shallow, but ya never know.

-Garrett

Wow Google Maps has got some new satellite images...cool

This spot looks like it may be nice on the NW side of the Island and around it, looks to have a pretty steep dropoff.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....850303,-112.276813&spn=0.002103,0.005364&t=h

The guys I dove with today (Craig and DJ), say that this point, Biesemeyer Pt., has some possiblities.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...2.295031&spn=0.002103,0.005364&t=h&iwloc=addr

This is Honeymoon Cove, I'd like to see if it's accessible
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...12.25314&spn=0.004205,0.010729&t=h&iwloc=addr

I guess my last dives at the bay will be this Sunday. It looks like I'll have to do some recon myself. It's been a while since I've reconned (actually since finding Scorpion Bay), but from looking at the depth map I don't see much out there.

We may be able to still access the area from the asphalt road. It will be a little more difficult to get down to the water, especially with gear on, but it's worth checking out.

Dive-aholic:
We may be able to still access the area from the asphalt road. It will be a little more difficult to get down to the water, especially with gear on, but it's worth checking out.

Well I talked to a Sheriff about it last year.

He said that they will be doing dredging in the bay.

So I don't know what kindof in-water restrictions, if any, they will have in the bay immediately, but once they start their in-water work and dredging I expect it to be off-limits, not that you'd want to be diving in the area once they start dredging the bay anyway.

-Garrett

Some of us were talking about putting together an "expedition" to search out new dive sites. I have a lake map and GPS, we may even have access to a boat. Unfortunatly, I've heard the further north you go, the worse the viz gets. I have done a huge number of dives at Vista point. Ok site, but it gets pretty mucky, and the beach sucks, soccer ball sized rocks and a silty bottom.

Dove off the boat at Buzzards point cove a few weeks and the viz was awesome, but only accessable by boat, or hike. Long hike.

I think we might need to pool ideas and contacts and maybe look hard at pushing for a dive park. Maybe get a poll and signatures together and start making noise? At least a place off limits to boats and PWC's, easy accessability, good bottom and a variety of depth options.

Anyone?

Darin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom