Scary dives in Coz last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coppermaus:
Can I get an Amen?

Cheers

AMEN darlin, i think overall you did a good job and when your ready, you will make a GREAT DM. please keep up the good work.

steve

ronrosa:
This thread has gotten pretty long and a little off topic.

7 pages long and counting.

Change your setting Ron - I only have 5 pages... :wink:

DandyDon:
Change your setting Ron - I only have 5 pages... :wink:

I still have 7. My settings for messages per page are "forum default"

Copper, I don't have any blasts for you. First I am glad that both you and your buddy are unharmed. Second: I have made well over 150 dives in the last 3 years, I have taken the time to take several specialty classes and earn my Master Diver level with my agency. I also have been to Cozumel and made dives on three occassions, actually once was over in Playa Del Carmen. I have to say that your experience does cause my stomach to flutter and makes me a bit nervous too. I would have aborted that dive much earlier. I am especially a skeptical and very cautious diver since I do not have a buddy to accompany me. If any dive plan sounds the least unreasonable to me I will not make it. I have to say that I would not make one to 160 feet in tunnels with only knowing 10mins was my limit, also I would have alerted my Dive Op of my level of diving and what my experience was. I did this on serveral dives in Mexico and had great DM experience on these dives. When I dove the cenotes the DM had us buddy up by experience and follow him, with the most experienced divers bringing up the end. We were a small group, only 4 divers however he did complement me at the end on how well I maintained my neutral bouyancy in the cenotes. That was a great feeling.

I think that this is a great learning experience and hope that you truly did learn from it. I see way too many casual divers that do not consider the consequences of their actions or non actions, whichever applies.

I use the if it does not feel right, then I don't do it motto and if there is any doubt, don't. But, you have to be listening and really paying attention to the entire situation to make that decision.

I love diving and want to be diving for a long time to come. I hope that you do as well.

ronrosa:
I still have 7. My settings for messages per page are "forum default"

Click on "User CP," then on "Edit Options," and go to "Number of Posts to Show Per Page." With recent changes, you can now opt for 40 posts per page. I'm now down to page 3 on this thread.

I Think there are some things that have not been covered on this thread.

One: All divers diving in the national park in Cozumel must dive with a Guide. It is the law

Two: Broken depth gauge my arse! he knew exactly how deep the divesite was and how deep he was. To say that he didnt means that he was lying or incompetent.

Three: a law enacted at the beginning of this year specifically states the depths that a dive guide or divemaster may lead divers to. Those of you who read Spanish Legal talk can look it up at

http://www.sectur.gob.mx/work/resources/LocalContent/9944/16/NOM052003.pdf

if not it states that

basic divers may not dive deeper than 18m/60'
intermediate divers may not dive deeper than 30m/100'
advanced divers may not dive deeper than 39m/130'

This Divemaster broke the law.

Maus:

dive computers are like underwear, YOU DONT SHARE :eyebrow: save up and get one especially if you want to be a divemaster.

the other lesson that no-one really seems to have pointed out is do not participate in cave diving unless you are specifically trained to do so.

I think you will find that as number 2 of the safe diving priactices that you would have signed as a PADI Open water diver.

I believe that for recreational divers, if there is rock over your head, you are in a cave, whether you are 1000' back, or in the middle of a tunnel or even swim through. You just cant swim through rock so you shouldnt be there.

Mause, great thread, great lesson, if you learn lessons like this from other people, you will make a great DM.

Copper - an excellent cautionary tale. Your buddy was fortunate to have someone with sufficient presence of mind and sang froid to hand around a DM like this.

It takes considerably more courage to 'jump ship' on a group for safety's sake than to go on heading for a disaster. Your judgements, once you had got into a difficult and potentially dangerous situation were sound. I side with others who have remarked that you should make a great DM yourself - especially now that you see very clearly how great a burden they bear leading less experienced divers. Good luck and safe diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom