Scammed on Scuba Board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a similar person contact me with the same MO (mentioning an item I had said I was looking for on scuba board, and suggesting I contact someone at a specific email address about it). I was busy so ignored it; when I went back to try to find the DM, it had been deleted. The message itself seemed totally reasonable and didn't raise any alarm bells - I'm sorry you were scammed, and don't blame you at all for falling for it. The DM I got certainly passed the "sniff" test, and was almost surely the same scam.
I suspect that it was the same person too.

If you paid via paypal using a credit card perhaps you could do a chargeback through your credit card issuer? They may end up denying it once they investigate and find out you selected friends & family, but it's worth a shot.
Will be following up on this in the next couple of days.

I think when someone contacts you and says "I've got the thing your looking for..." is a big red flag. So sorry you got scammed.
he didn't say that - he just said that someone he knew had a Kirby Morgan M48 Mod-1 for sale and gave me his email address - it all sounded legit

So, so sorry for your scam. Please, unless you know them personally, please don't use friends and family, or use Zelle, Zenmo, etc, etc. They're stealing from paypal when they do that, and that should be a red flag.
I always thought that with Friends and Family the funds sender pays the same fee amount that the receiver would have been charged if it went through as a normal paypal transaction. Will certainly be more cautious in the future!

I've seen postings in the other forum I frequent reporting the same thing.

The BIG RED FLAG is when someone sends you a DM saying that SOMEONE ELSE has the item you're looking for and provides contact info OUTSIDE of the forum.

So then I have to compromise my security for yours. That doesn't sound optimal.
In this case, when selling an item or contacting another member, it's about using all technical means available to prevent any scams.
Please enlighten me how that would compromise your security?

In this case, when selling an item or contacting another member, it's about using all technical means available to prevent any scams.
Please enlighten me how that would compromise your security?

How does me turning my VPN off compromise my security? Is that a real question or gaslighting?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom