Scalloping Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse:
Really? by the picture in your artical they look very similar.
They're related, but definately different. Here's a pic of your Pecten Novaezelandiae (I love the latin name):
images

Here's a pic of our Placopecten Magellanicus:
images

Notice that ours are round and smooth, without the "scalloping" common to many members of the family. That said, I tried a few of yours out at the Whangarei Fish and Chips shop, and yours and ours are very similar in size and flavor, although almost nobody here eats the reddish part (gonad?) along with the adductor muscle.

ckjacques53198:
Are there charters around here for scalloping?

At least one operator does run charters this time of year. They're a very good outfit and my dive club has used them a number of times (including an up-coming scallop dive next weekend).

Tell the Captain that you were referred from United Divers of New Hampshire when you call.

http://www.northeastcharterboat.com/index.htm

MSilvia:
although almost nobody here eats the reddish part (gonad?) along with the adductor muscle.

What a waste. I never understood why some people dont eat that part. We reffer to it as the roe but im not sure it is actuly roe. I have never herd it reffered as gonad though. Thats almost enough to put me off eating it. LOL
Next you will try and tell me you dont eat them raw either! Mmm fresh scallops still pulsating as they slide down your throat.

I know the french canadians cook them whole and eat everything..
I have seen Matt slurp one down raw.. I like sushi but I don't know about a raw scallop. I knew a diver that would open one up underwater, pop his reg out and eat underwater.. Ewwww..

reefseal:
I know the french canadians cook them whole and eat everything..
I have seen Matt slurp one down raw.. I like sushi but I don't know about a raw scallop. I knew a diver that would open one up underwater, pop his reg out and eat underwater.. Ewwww..

If the scallop is clean and cold it's quite tasty. Not that I'd do it again mind you; I prefer my food cooked.

Raw scallops are quite tasty during your SI...but don't eat too many.:D Good for grossing out the female divers on the charter. I've also seen Matt S eat one raw. I do prefer them cooked, too, but not too much or they get tough as an old rubber tire. All this scallop talk has got me hungry and itchin' to go scallop diving.

LobstaMan

Some of you folks COOK your scallops?

Hmmm! That sounds like it might be pretty good!

Packhorse:
What a waste. I never understood why some people dont eat that part. We reffer to it as the roe but im not sure it is actuly roe. I have never herd it reffered as gonad though. Thats almost enough to put me off eating it. LOL
It was enough to put me off it, but maybe I'll give it a try again (after I figure out for sure what I might be eating). :)
Packhorse:
Next you will try and tell me you dont eat them raw either!
Nope, I love 'em raw. Why order hotategai from the sushi guy when they're even better still ocean-cold, slightly salty, and right out of the shell?

Back
Top Bottom