SB INVADES THE KEYS... July 14-16, 2006!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
These are also coneys:

coney_600.jpg

The black/white ones are very commone in Cozumel. There's also a yellow one. I thought of Tiger Grouper, but it has a more basslike snout whereas the coney is more pointed. The original photo is not the best quality. Coney's can also have stripes and their eyes are more on top of their head. You guys can decide.

Hmmm, that top one looks more like it. Too bad we can't go ask the fish. :14:

Andy, u skipped out on the last day :9(

I agree with Andy - Tiger Grouper. OTOH, I think you are right that it is a Coney.

Coneys had two black dots on their lips

Not always black. The one in the photo appears to have gray spots.

Coneys I have seen and referenced in the REEF ID book have a solid pattern, not molted or blotchy.

Usually, yes, but not always.

Grasbys have 3-5 spots that run parelled to the dorsel fin. That is the telltale identifable sign of a grasby. I don't think it is a grasby.

I agree, although sometimes the spots are hard to see and this is not a very good photo. Coney is the most likely.

We saw a Golden phase Coney last Tuesday on Tennaco Towers.

Hi Folks,

glad to read you have so much enjoyed the weekend!

If any of you has taken photos of the Eagle, please post them here or mail me, thanks in advance!

Best wishes,
Bart

BartK:
Hi Folks,

glad to read you have so much enjoyed the weekend!

If any of you has taken photos of the Eagle, please post them here or mail me, thanks in advance!

Best wishes,
Bart
Your email address is unknown to other members.

I think I'm finally somewhat recovered from the weekend. (Of course I drove back to Vero Beach and worked Sunday nite...and the last two nights...so maybe I still have some more recovery...but at least I'm feeling better.)

At any rate, the pics I took are posted on my blog if anyone cares to look...they are there for the viewing (along with my typically rambling text reports). After seeing Howards pics...wow....well....I have a long way to go!
Awesome, Howard!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom