SB INVADES THE KEYS... July 14-16, 2006!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny:
Not a Coney. Too big.
Could be a black grouper or a rock hind.

The fish wasn't very big, probably about 8 inches long.

ScubaBOBuba:
I agree. Laurens got some great shots! Now, how about your impression of a backside entry without scuba?

I was even kind enough to cure your arthritic middle fingers!

---Bob

CoolTech... of the 8 fingers.... I think I've heard this song.... lol

I've seen a lot of them lately.... it looks like a immature Goliath/spotted grouper with a small bit taken out of its fin

It would be easier to ID if we had a clearer pic. It's definitely not a Scamp nor is it a Black. It's possible it's a Hind (Red or Rock) as the pattern of dots fits well, but there appears to be dots on the lower lip which would indicate a Coney. Coneys also sometimes have that pattern of spots. Based on size, it could be any of the three or even a Graysby. Without additional info, I believe Coney is most likey.

Walter:
It would be easier to ID if we had a clearer pic. It's definitely not a Scamp nor is it a Black. It's possible it's a Hind (Red or Rock) as the pattern of dots fits well, but there appears to be dots on the lower lip which would indicate a Coney. Coneys also sometimes have that pattern of spots. Based on size, it could be any of the three or even a Graysby. Without additional info, I believe Coney is most likey.

My connection to the server seems very slow... but, I tend to agree. BUT, without a better photo of the dorsal side, it almost looks like a bit has been bitten off

Hard to tell. Coneys had two black dots on their lips, and Coneys I have seen and referenced in the REEF ID book have a solid pattern, not molted or blotchy. Grasbys have 3-5 spots that run parelled to the dorsel fin. That is the telltale identifable sign of a grasby. I don't think it is a grasby.

Missdirected:
She thinks coney and supplied this pic: http://www.divefsda.com/Coney Grouper.jpg What do you guys think?

that picture is of a tiger grouper

this is a coney:

d_CONEY.jpg

These are also coneys:

coney_600.jpg

The black/white ones are very commone in Cozumel. There's also a yellow one. I thought of Tiger Grouper, but it has a more basslike snout whereas the coney is more pointed. The original photo is not the best quality. Coney's can also have stripes and their eyes are more on top of their head. You guys can decide.

yup, those are all coneys..

i think that the first pic is a tiger grouper, though ... the markings are just too distinctive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom