SB Dive of the Month April 28th at Lake Jocassee, Salem, SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey it is time to plan another Scuba Board Dive of the Month at Lake Jocassee on April 28th. We will meet at the ramp at 10:00AM and set up camp for the day. Bill aka reefraff2 will be manning the grill again. He did such a good job last summer for us. I will also bring my Coleman stove so we can heat up any drinks or soup that folks bring along. Please bring your own containers to heat your stuff in and your own meat to grill and any side items, snacks or drinks that you wish to eat.

We have had people from www.scubaboard.com www.singledivers.com and www.charlestondiving.com join us in the past and of course the infamous Jocassee Skeleton Crew. It has been so much fun to meet and dive with the folks that we banter about with on the boards. Rumor has it that LindaBlueDolphin will be joining us. I am really looking forward to meeting her and diving with her. Hope to see a few familiar faces and some new ones too!

WATER TEMPS should be somewhere in the 60’s. You should plan to dive a 7mm with hood and gloves and have a thermos of hot drinks waiting for you on the surface.

You have to pass the dive shop just before the entrance of the state park. If you need tank rentals, gas fills, or a full set of gear rental, shoot me a PM and I can give you the shop info.

We will set up our canopies and chairs on the ramp and be diving from the shore. My plan is to do one dive exploring the wall off to the left of the ramp and also say hello to the Bones Family on the way. The second dive, I plan to feed the fish and have them swarm me. You are of course free to dive where ever and with whom ever you choose. We will meet up under the canopy and help link people up with buddies. If you are going to need a buddy, PM me and let me know and I will let you know who else is looking for a buddy. That way you can have a chance to PM that person and ask them any questions or share anything before the day of the dive if you wish to do so. Some people like to pick up a buddy on the fly or dive solo and that is cool too.

So who is in???

Lake Jocassee/ Off the Wall
I-85 exit 40, turn on Hwy 153 to Easley go about 4 miles
Hwy 123 south to Easley
Fork to right onto Hwy 93, just past Hardies on the left. Go all the way thru downtown Easley.
Merge straight onto Hwy 8 to Pickens at the stop light past the next Hardies
Left onto Hwy 183 near McDonald’s.
Go all the way thru Pickens
Right onto Shady Grove Rd where the 4 lanes ends near BP gas station
Shady Grove Rd till it dead-ends at the Church and Store.
Right onto Hwy 133 go about 3 miles
Left onto Hwy 11 go about 3 miles
Right onto Boones Creek Rd at the gas station store looks like log cabin go ½ mile
Right onto Jocassee Lake Rd at Boones Creek Church
You will pass 2 dive shops: Off the Wall Diving and Jocassee Outdoor Center/Hoyts/Scuba Shop
When you come to Devil’s Fork State Park Entrance go LEFT to the remote boat ramps
Pay $2.00 per person entry fee—you will need correct change
Take the right fork to the right remote boat ramp.
There are 3 ramps and two of them are blocked off for divers
Back you car down near the water and off load your gear and then park in the upper parking area.

Directions from other locations:

Driving Directions:
From I-85 at the GA line: Take exit 1 to Hwy 11 for approx. 40 miles, turn left on Jocassee Lake Rd, and travel 3 mi.

From I-85 at the NC line: Travel south to Hwy 11 exit at Gaffney and proceed on Hwy 11 for approx. 90 miles, turn right on Jocassee Lk. Rd and travel 3 miles.

From I-26: Take exit 5 onto Hwy 11 to Campobello. Travel for approximately 60 mi. Turn rt. on Lake Jocassee Rd., and travel 3 mi.
Devil’s Fork State Park Web site: http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/park-finder/state-park/1355.aspx
MILES TO:
· Charleston, SC: 235
· Columbia, SC: 135
· Florence, SC: 218
· Greenville, SC: 36
· Charlotte, NC: 128
· Raleigh, NC: 270
· Atlanta, GA: 140
Augusta, GA: 135

:D

Which of those are the directions from Asheville? :D

Funny how rumors get started!:rofl3:

I'm in... no really this time. :) Work shouldn't be a problem since we finally got some more folks hired on!

Don't know whether I'll need a buddy or not, so I'll let you know.

Caleb

Directions from Asheville, NC

Merge onto I-240 W toward I-40. 3.1 miles

Merge onto I-26 E / US-74 E via the exit on the LEFT toward HENDERSONVILLE / SPARTANBURG / ASHEVILLE AIRPORT 23 miles

US-25 TRUCK S becomes US-25 S (Crossing into SOUTH CAROLINA). 3.8 miles

US-25 TRUCK S becomes US-25 S (Crossing into SOUTH CAROLINA). 12.3 miles

Turn LEFT to take the SC-11 ramp toward SC-11 . .1 miles

Turn LEFT onto SC-11 / CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS SCENIC HWY 4.5 miles

Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto GEER HWY / US-276 / SC-11 / CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS SCENIC HWY 5.4 miles

Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto SC-11 W / CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS SCENIC HWY N 22.6 miles

Right onto Boones Creek Rd at the gas station store looks like log cabin go ½ mile
Right onto Jocassee Lake Rd at Boones Creek Church
You will pass 2 dive shops: Off the Wall Diving and Jocassee Outdoor Center/Hoyts/Scuba Shop
When you come to Devil’s Fork State Park Entrance go LEFT to the remote boat ramps
Pay $2.00 per person entry fee—you will need correct change
Take the right fork to the right remote boat ramp.
There are 3 ramps and two of them are blocked off for divers
Back you car down near the water and off load your gear and then park in the upper parking area.

Thanks Leah!

If anyone else is coming from the Asheville area I would love to follow you down, otherwise I will try to navigate on my own.:D

Mike and Jocassee--lassie, sorry that you guys aren’t going to make it. I always enjoy diving with Jocasseegirl aka Debbie and have come to count her not only as a good dive buddy but a good friend. Mike, I have read your posts for sometime and look forward to the day when we can meet.

For those with families with children or non-diving spouses or friends, there is a playground area for children to play in near main gate. In the summer time when the water is warmer, children play on the ramp, snorkel and feed the fish. One little gal used bread and a mask box to catch fish last year. She caught a perch that was nearly as long as the box. It took her a while, but she finally caught it!

I am so looking forward to this next dive. Anyone is welcome to join our group. We have everyone from brand new divers to well seasoned divers and instructors that dive with us.

As the summer moves along, a couple of folks that have been diving a long time have asked if they could do a dive chat and share information with the group to help us all move along in our skill level and enjoy diving more. We have talked about doing a buoyancy clinic, kick styles and techniques, and gear.

Hope to see you in the water soon!

leah:
Mike and Jocassee--lassie, sorry that you guys aren’t going to make it. I always enjoy diving with Jocasseegirl aka Debbie and have come to count her not only as a good dive buddy but a good friend.

:embarass: :embarass: ditto :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom