"Say hello to my little friend"-Pascual!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea why anyone is bashing Pascual and is dive operation, he is by far the best Dive Master on the Island of Cozumel. If you want to do “ mid drift dives “ and hang 30 feet above the walls and reefs then feel free to dive with any of the other 30 to 40 dive operators on the island. Trust me, following Pascual we would kick right pass the herds of cattle boat divers diving at a depth of 30 to 40 ft deeper, swimming through caverns and tunnels, while other groups of divers would sit at 60 to 80ft on top of the reef staring at the coral. I just came back from a 10 day dive trip, 20 dives with Pascual, on his boat “The Fat Grouper”, and needless to say it was one of the best dive trips I have ever taken. Bottom line is Pascual started diving when he was 13 and has over 38 years of experience diving the reefs in Cozumel, he knows where all the walls, reefs, tunnels, eels, sharks, etc are located and if you dive with him just make sure you bring a lot of U.S. $20 bills to tip him, because you will be blow away by the amazing dives. J

My Dive log:

DIVE LOCATION – COZUMEL REEFS 2009 April DEPTH TIME
Cozumel WALL DIVE- Punta Tunich & Yucab Wall Drift 113 FT 0:52
Cozumel Wall DIVE- Santa Rosa Wall / Cavern Dive 122 FT 0:54
Cozumel San Juan-Extreme Drift Dive-Northern Reefs 83 FT 0:49
Cozumel DRIFT /WALLDIVE-Barracuda Reef/Wall-Northern 125 FT 0:45
Cozumel Cedar Pass Reef 68 FT 0:54
Cozumel Palancar Gardens 99 FT 0:56
Cozumel WALL-Paradise Wall-Kicked to Paradise Reef 82 FT 0:50
Cozumel WALL / DRIFT DIVE - Yukab Wall 131FT 0:37
Cozumel- WALL DIVE- French Planacar Wall Dive 82 FT 0:49
Cozumel- DEEP WALL DIVE Maracaibo Wall Dive- 156 FT 0:31
Cozumel - WALL DIVE- Cedral Wall Dive 87FT 0:50
Cozumel - CAVERN- Punta Sur Reef- Devils Throat 132FT 0:39
Cozumel - La Francesca Hills 81FT 0:50
Cozumel - WALL DIVE - Palancar Gardens Deep 119FT 0:52
Cozumel - Horseshoe Reef- Palancar 71FT 0:55
Cozumel -WALL DIVE Deep Columbia Wall 113FT 0:56
Cozumel SHORE / WALL / DRIFT DIVE- Vila Blanca Wall 83FT 0:45

It is great you like Pascual. It is wonderful when divers find the right dive op fit. But, contrary to your opinion, MANY of the other dive operators DO offer the same top quality dive experience that you have had , however without allowing touching and harassing marine life and corals as another diver has posted. The only reason I am negative towards "Pascual" diving is that it does appear that this illegal and more importantly unacceptable practice is not discouraged or more accurately as it appears not allowed by Pascual.

Last edited:
There are a ton of dive operations that do exactly what you're promising pascual does. (And really, there's at least a hint of fishiness that this is your first post)

Looks like you had some fun dives. I've done all of them - and many more - many, many times with several Coz ops. So how do you know Pasqual is by far the best operator on the island?

The groups you are describing are the cruise ship and/or discover diving folks. Trying to get their first-time clients as best a bottom-time they can hope for and not anihilate the coral in the process.

PS One more thought - if the divers you passed above you looked like decent divers, might they have been divers working their way up from a deeper dive, doing a deep stop? Just one more possibility. As an experienced diver, I imagine you've considered all these possibilities but thought I'd raise none-the-less.

PPS Why were you kicking past these other divers? These are drift dives. No need to kick. In fact, I like to go as slowly as possible so I can take in as much as possible...[/

he is by far the best Dive Master on the Island of Cozumel. If you want to do mid drift dives and hang 30 feet above the walls and reefs then feel free to dive with any of the other 30 to 40 dive operators on the island. Trust me, following Pascual we would kick right pass the herds of cattle boat divers diving at a depth of 30 to 40 ft deeper, swimming through caverns and tunnels, while other groups of divers would sit at 60 to 80ft on top of the reef staring at the coral.

QUOTE]

it does appear that this illegal and more importantly unacceptable practice is not discouraged or more accurately as it appears not allowed by Pascual.

Not illegal insofar that you will not get arrested and thrown in jail but against marine park rules. Unacceptable practice - yes.

PS. Anyone know how marine park rule infractions are enforced? Fines to ops? To divers? Would think latter hard to collect on.

Not illegal insofar that you will not get arrested and thrown in jail but against marine park rules. Unacceptable practice - yes.

PS. Anyone know how marine park rule infractions are enforced? Fines to ops? To divers? Would think latter hard to collect on.

I'm pretty sure breaking federal law falls under the category of "illegal". The marine park is a national park.

Christi can weigh in on the exact repercussions, but you can be fined as well as banned from diving within the park. Probably more potential punishments as well.

LOL. You guys are still upset about that little fishy huh. I support catch and release programs all over the US. This fish never even got a hook in the mouth!!! All the useless banter in this forum.... Opinions are like A55H0l3s and we have plenty of them in this blog. That poor little fishy was not in the marine park when he was harassed. Furthermore, Pascual has been a local on that island and has taken many fish from it over the years. You people in this forum should ask Pascual about his Diving Ethics. Me, I dont lose sleep when I step on an Ant. The real problem here is that all of you people on this blog think that you own the reef. Everytime you strap on your gear you kill some little parasite with a purpose. I really would like to elaborate but frankly you people are not worth my time.

That poor little fishy was not in the marine park when he was harassed.

There is no evidence of that and no one has claimed this until now. Frankly I don't believe it.

Furthermore, Pascual has been a local on that island and has taken many fish from it over the years. You people in this forum should ask Pascual about his Diving Ethics. Me, I dont lose sleep when I step on an Ant. The real problem here is that all of you people on this blog think that you own the reef. Everytime you strap on your gear you kill some little parasite with a purpose. I really would like to elaborate but frankly you people are not worth my time.

It doesn't matter what your personal opinion is. There is a law for a reason, and that law is very clear about handling marine life. Being a local, or eating fish caught here, is not a ticket to do whatever you feel like.

Do you really believe that the "real problem" is people thinking they own the reef? Nobody here is making up these rules. It is THE LAW. Because yes, Mexico OWNS THE REEF.

That poor little fishy was not in the marine park when he was harassed.

Don't you hate it when you get busted by your own words? You wrote this on Pascual's website:

Chris Aschenbrenner, Waukesha, Wisconsin -- A King Crab Hiding out on the Amazing Palancar Reef. If your lucky Pascual may catch one of these with his bare Hands for your enjoyment. Diving with Pascual is an Underwater Photographer's Dream.

So he/you are catching crabs too? Palancar is in the park. Whoops! :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom