Save Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Royal and Troy have seen some nice upgrades, and are still nice places to dive. I am Troy about once a month. They've put in a nice ramp and platform, and some very nice bathrooms. But not much other than that. There is no commercial atmosphere.

To be honest, Ginnie in the winter is nearly ideal from a diver's perspective. It's fairly quiet, and still a fun place. It's just a zoo in the summer.

Barracuda2:
I also dove Ginnie in the 70's and early 80's. Took my young kids there and pitched a tent not 40 ft. from the spring and had a great family time. I'm sorry to hear what's going on there now. If this has happened to Ginnie, what has happened to Royal, or Troy springs, or the other springs around there? I remember I had to drive through a cow pasture and close the gate behind me when we dove Troy. Have all the other Springs taken the same path? If you missed these springs in the early days, you missed it.

The Springs owned by the state up here are still very nice.
Peacock is still a divers paradise , as far as I am concerned...
As far as Ginnie is concerned well ... I know the river is pretty bad...
But ANY trash in the springs I try to pick up and bring out.

Jeano Beano

P.S. And Yes , in the wintertime , things are MUCH BETTER! Just us divers at Ginnie...Makes it really nice ...

For those who haven't seen this website, it's worth a look. Rowdy college kids are probably a minor threat to Ginnie compared to what else is going on.

http://www.floridasprings.org/

The most compelling video sequence (not on the site but on Wes Skiles' full video from a few years back) was divers entering a pristine spring, swimming through a cave and surfacing in an illegal garbage dump. Kind of drives the point home.

rdharbis1:
Why would anyone want the government and politics invovlved in anything? IF you want to make sure that it does not get corrected, just get them involved! The thread about profanity had many good posts about things like this. If it is offensive, say so and say it to the offenders. Most of the time, not all, but most of the time people are open minded and understanding enough to respond in an agreeable manner.
:coffee:

I'm not into big government, but I'm not so unrealistic that I don't realize that some things need government involvement.

You think talking to people who don't give a crap about litter, the environment, trashing a place, or rules in general is going to SOLVE the problem? Your are dreaming.

I've seen the end results of government cleanup, and regulations in parks and it can DEFINATELY work. You think the Manatee preservation would have gone ANYWHERE without government involvement. Heck, they be extinct by now.

You go talk to those who offend you. Make sure you have something do defend yourself with! :lol: I would suggest that the residents of FL need to work on forming a PAC to address some of these environmental, diving, and boating issues.

The problems are, Ginnie makes money from all of us. They enforce what they can. I've talked with them about this. I have also seen their staff attempting to remove people from the park. The best they can do is call law enforcement to meet them at the end of the tube run to physically eject and trespass the individuals. Even this is limited action. As for the river, Ginnie has no control over what happens on the river. Technically, if someone COULD get a boat into the main of Ginnie, ignoring the downed trees, as long as they didn't touch the shoreline, they could still dump a load on our heads and probably get away with it. I have seen many local areas overrun by the disrespectful, arrogant, @'s who frequent these sites. I have confronted many of them to no avail. They laugh at you and keep doing what they're doing. Having worked in the prison system, I know how these people are. There are many more outside than inside. As for cleanups, Ginnie does sponsor free air fills at least once a year for river cleanups, and I believe they even cart off the trash themselves. You notice how they try to keep the camp areas and picnic areas clean. At east they are trying.
Imagine trying to keep the drunk college kids from tubing down the river with their beer and see what happens. Heavy handed tactics will only reap worse consequences there. We'd be better focused on Venice Flag Runners. At least that is open and visible. PSA's with video footage are in the works with me. I want to focus on the litter issues and the risk of injuring swimmers by PWC and boaters. The snorkelling incident enforces that. As for a restricted stretch of river a mile long. We're best to clean it up and recycle what we can to pay for the efforts. If you're interested in a cleanup, call Ginnie and talk to Rose. She has always been very helpful to scubaboard and myself. Imagine what would happen if they let Ginnie go the way of the river. I'm glad they do so much to keep their place nice. They even closed the camp area to through traffic to protect campers from the drunken drivers. They are trying to be proactive in many ways. I'm up for a cleanup dive! I have a kayak we can load stuff into and use as a trash platform. I'd be willing to borrow a truck to take the aluminum to recycling centers to pay for PSA materials. Perhaps the next megadive will include a river cleanup dive or two as well. I'll contact Ginnie about it myself.

I just received some info from Ginnie Springs about a scheduled river cleanup on July 15th. I am attempting to contact the person organizing it now. More to follow. I also advised Ginnie of this thread so they can offer input as well as read suggestions. We can either encourage the problem, or be part of the solution. I choose the latter of the two.

Followup: I have left a message for him and will post here as soon as I get more info.

DEEPSEAWOLF:
I just received some info from Ginnie Springs about a scheduled river cleanup on July 15th. I am attempting to contact the person organizing it now. More to follow. I also advised Ginnie of this thread so they can offer input as well as read suggestions. We can either encourage the problem, or be part of the solution. I choose the latter of the two.

Followup: I have left a message for him and will post here as soon as I get more info.
Ken, I for one woulld definitely be up for a clean-up dive as long as I wouldn't have to pay a fee to do so. I mean nearly $30 for the day and my interest becomes my dive and the clean-up is secondary. That said, keep in mind that at MegaDive I came out with stuff stuck all in my wetsuit and both hands full.Just don't want to have to spend that much $$$ to attend a clean-up. For me attending any event there costs me around $90 for gas(the Bronco only gets about 10 or 11mpg)
So, see if there are associated expenses,because if they could forgo those I'll be there for sure as it is still my favorite place in all of Florida(and I've seen alot of this state)
Brian

PS: This would be best if done at a time when the river is somewhat clear.
It doesn't have to be as clear as during MegaDive,
But ive been there when currents were up and vis was down.
And a clean-up under those type conditions would be a PITA for sure

Brewone0to:
Ken, I for one woulld definitely be up for a clean-up dive as long as I wouldn't have to pay a fee to do so. I mean nearly $30 for the day and my interest becomes my dive and the clean-up is secondary. That said, keep in mind that at MegaDive I came out with stuff stuck all in my wetsuit and both hands full.Just don't want to have to spend that much $$$ to attend a clean-up. For me attending any event there costs me around $90 for gas(the Bronco only gets about 10 or 11mpg)
So, see if there are associated expenses,because if they could forgo those I'll be there for sure as it is still my favorite place in all of Florida(and I've seen alot of this state)
Brian

PS: This would be best if done at a time when the river is somewhat clear.
It doesn't have to be as clear as during MegaDive,
But ive been there when currents were up and vis was down.
And a clean-up under those type conditions would be a PITA for sure

I totally agree. A cleanup would be great, especially if we don't have to pay the park fee...only pay for air. Also if divers and snorkelers were only allowed on that day...that would be really nice...don't know if they would go for that one though. However, I will be first in line if we get this thing underway. Thanks for the help everyone.

Barracuda2:
If this has happened to Ginnie, what has happened to Royal, or Troy springs, or the other springs around there?

Troy Springs was aquired by the Florida State Park's system and they've done some nice things. It still seems pretty quiet and they have put in some nice diving amenities and bath house. Nice park to spend a quiet day for a dive and afternoon
cookout.

Tsalagi:
Troy Springs was aquired by the Florida State Park's system and they've done some nice things. It still seems pretty quiet and they have put in some nice diving amenities and bath house. Nice park to spend a quiet day for a dive and afternoon
cookout.
Except now you cant dive solo, or with a light, and have to walk a mile down a stupid ramp, and get to pay $10 for this pleasure. Thanks to the gov'ment. Benefits sure, restrictions, of course.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom