Save Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is constant discussion amongst cave divers concerning Ginnie Springs. The fact of the matter is that tubers and campers bring in far more dollars to Ginnie Springs than divers ever will. This is both a blessing and a curse. Private ownership of the park makes things better for divers in some ways, and worse in others, and divers taking the place over just isn't going to happen.

PerroneFord:
Ginnie makes more money in a weekend from the students than it makes in a month from the divers. They are not about to toss away that revenue. You also have to keep in mind there is an unregulated river adjacent to the park.

It is sad that someone would allow others to trash God's green earth because they pay well....

Oh and I am not trying to gripe...it just used to be so nice there and family oriented.

scubafool:
divers taking the place over just isn't going to happen.

Lets join forces and storm the castle....we have the Creature from the Black lagoon on our side!

This thread brings up similar concerns as did the 6 year old killed by boater thread.

The public can make a huge difference in how government behaves. Our country has laws, rules, and regulations for a reason, and unfortunately that reason is because a large portion of the public are selfish jerks.

So what can be done? Well clean it up, and it stays clean for a few weeks.

Getting rules or laws passed that makes littering very expensive, educating the public on those laws, and then getting those fines enforced is a key.

If you can not get these types of actions passed (assuming there are not already laws, which I think their may be) then the problem will not get any better.

FL appears to be suffering from what a LOT of tourist destinations suffer from, and that is over use of many areas, and the end result is trash (not all intentional), and damage by thoughtless individuals. The only way to combat that is to make it expensive for the offenders.

Another thing that needs to be in place is proper disposal facilities, and infrastructure to deal with the trash. One reason people litter is because there is inadequate facilities to dump. This all costs money, and must be managed by our infrastructure, i.e., the government.

Maybe one option is rather than to volunteer to clean up trash, volunteer to work for the park service, and get the authority to fine people who are trashing the place. Not sure if this is possible, but it seems to me that enforcement is more of an issue than law.

Ron,

Part of the problem is that Florida Marine Patrol are duty officers. Meaning they carry firearms. This precludes a lot of volunteerism. What COULD happen is for the river to be closed to motorized traffic during certian hours. Ginnie only rents canoes and tubes. And in general, I don't have a problem with that. I'd MUCH prefer to see it become an alcohol free park, but that would cut revenues by a LOT, and I am not sure what user group would pick up the slack. Divers are already paying $28 a head to dive in what amounts to 2 small springs. If you are not cave certified, Ginnie becomes a very expensive play-park.

I think in large part what will happen over time is that divers will begin to take their business elsewhere. God help them if Wakulla Springs ever opens again. For those who haven't ever been to Wakulla Springs, It makes Ginnie look like a rowboat on the ocean. Controlling access to the caves really isn't too hard either. The cave opening is about 190ft down. There may be some divers of poor judgement out there, but darn few OW divers are going to fool with a cave that tests the limits of air just to look inside...

But in the meantime, Ginnie is going to need to do some self-policing. And I know it's going to be hard for them to turn away some of those students, but I think by prohibiting alcohol on the grounds, you earn back the family customer, and perhaps gain back a more loyal group. By the way, I started diving Ginnie back in October, and it was lovely. No big crowds, clear water, etc. Marvelous experience all winter.

Florida is out of control, the state has gone mad or wild or whatever. I am sick of the drunken parties and all that as well. I am glad that I got to dive so many of those places when they were just out in the woods. Spring Break and the Girls Gone Wild and the drunks and the condo creeps and the underwater buriel ground and the theme parks and it goes on and on. Divers and other outdoor groups need to take political action. N

Why would anyone want the government and politics invovlved in anything? IF you want to make sure that it does not get corrected, just get them involved! The thread about profanity had many good posts about things like this. If it is offensive, say so and say it to the offenders. Most of the time, not all, but most of the time people are open minded and understanding enough to respond in an agreeable manner.
:coffee:

And then you have people like I was dealing with a weekend ago. We were doing a class with two 13 year old boys. Group of young yocals shows up (camaro and all) and proceeds to talk loudly among themselves using ******* this, and other choice course language. I bring to their attention there are minors around (this is a family spot) and they just ignored me and continued their foul language and talk of women's genitalia...

Some people are just idiots.

I also dove Ginnie in the 70's and early 80's. Took my young kids there and pitched a tent not 40 ft. from the spring and had a great family time. I'm sorry to hear what's going on there now. If this has happened to Ginnie, what has happened to Royal, or Troy springs, or the other springs around there? I remember I had to drive through a cow pasture and close the gate behind me when we dove Troy. Have all the other Springs taken the same path? If you missed these springs in the early days, you missed it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom