Save Bonaire's Donkeys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the historical excerpts I've read, the donkeys were first brought to the island in the 1700's by the Spanish.

They are not native to Bonaire, hence an invasive species.

How exactly do the donkeys "adversely affect the habitats and bioregions" of Bonaire?

As me and others have pointed out already the proof is in the post. You are arguing about semantics when you are talking about streets. The streets are not enclosed and they criss cross the island. The donkeys have to cross streets in order to move about. If your argument was correct, then why castrated the male donkeys at all. Just because they don't say "we want to kill all donkeys" doesn't mean that the end result of their plan won't be the same.

No. You neglected to mention a critical part of the article that disproves your theory. The streets do not "criss-cross" the island; they are limited to to major areas, Kralendijk and Rincon, and the three roads that connect them. They are talking about removing the donkeys from the urban areas- not the wild. It's exactly the same as removing dangerous animals from urban areas in the US. They don't go out and hunt down all the alligators, mountain lions, bears, and other nuisance animals in the wild just because they have to remove a few from the urban areas.

As for why they geld them (please try to use the right terminology), I already explained that. Please read what I wrote. This is how I see the obstacle here- you're not reading the full story, only the parts you want to hear.

They only geld the Stallions that they take onto the sactuary, and they geld them because they don't want the sactuary becoming overcrowded with foals- which is what will happen if you let just one stallion in with all the mares. So they geld them, which also has the benefit of making them more docile (why they target stallions, and not mares, who are often already docile).

They are not trying to eliminate donkeys from Bonaire. I ask you again; where is your proof of this??? Your posts, and all these websites, are pure internet sensationalism and hype. Your article has already been disproved, and you have no proof of your claims.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2014 at 05:59 PM ----------

Oh, and here's more proof against your claim: "The issue of feral donkeys does not centre purely on the welfare of the animals. While some local people enjoy the donkeys and see them as part of their cultural heritage, others complain that they damage property and are a serious road hazard. With around 30,000 goats alongside the donkeys, some also believe that the feral animals on the island are damaging the local environment. As a consequence, two years ago the Bonaire Government proposed to solve the problem through the relocation of donkeys off the island to be used as working animals.
With hundreds of donkeys facing deportation, Marina Melis [the founder of Donkey Sanctuary Bonaire] fought hard (with support from The Donkey Sanctuary) to convince the authorities in Bonaire and the Netherlands that relocating the donkeys off the island was not a simple solution. On top of the stress of transportation, re-domesticating feral donkeys and training them for work is not an easy task. After much discussion, the Government agreed to an alternative plan: a ‘capture and sterilisation’ programme to manage the population and reduce the number of donkeys over time. Captured males would be castrated and released back into the remaining wilder parts of the island; while mares and foals would be brought to the sanctuary to live."

The Donkey Sanctuary

Notice how they don't say "Capture all the donkeys and geld the every males", or "Kill all donkeys".
Notice how they don't say "eliminate the donkeys".

They clearly and unequivocally state manage and reduce. That means to control the population, not eliminate it. It means prevent the animals from being a nuisance and a hazard, not destroy the population.

So again, Where is your proof of your claims? I have ample evidence of what I stated.

Last edited:
You just lost any thread credibility when you compared removing a population of donkeys on a small arid island to slaughtering whales into extinction.

Mike,

The donkeys can take care of themselves just fine. They don't need any money, they only need some respect as rightful cohabitants of the island. According to your reasoning, the international community should just let Japan kill whales into extinction since what they do in their own waters is their business. Never mind that the consequences of their actions impact everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nubian_wild_ass: "The Nubian wild ass (Equus africanus africanus) is a subspecies of the African wild ass, and probably the ancestor of domestic donkeys,. The ass was domesticated about 6,000 years ago, probably in Egypt or Mesopotamia." I suppose DNA testing of any domestic ass population could easily be very similar to the founding population, and there may well be good reason to save the sub-specie to reintroduce it into its native lands - except they'd get killed there.
Aren't the donkeys an invasive species? like say lionfish.
Yep, not only are they non-native but they are destructive. They probably are suffering from their own over population and maybe inbreeding.

Aren't we an invasive species? Ask the Native Americans.....
Bigger question: The answer is yes, and we've done poorly with our own population control and effects. The Amerindians had been driving animals to extinction for millennia before we got here tho, as well as causing significant ecological damages - so they're not innocent either. I miss the Mammoths. :sad:

The same could be said of the fish, critters, and coral in the marine park.
Where did you go to school...?! :confused:

I don't think horses are endemic to the Americas either. I think the Spanish brought them over the Atlantic.
Yeah, and the mustangs and wild asses cause a lot of damages here too. Well, horses used to run wild here, but the early Amerindians killed those off before they could rebound from the last glacial period/ice age.

First off, I am not sure you could call the donkeys an invasive species.
I am. Bonaire has 114 square miles of land, with very little rainfall (less than 22 inches annually). You say there are 700?! I'd sure the ecology suffers greatly and the excessive population suffers as well.

Everybody likes a nice Nubian Ass. If it is not causing a problem, let nature take its course. If there are problems, take action to reduce/control the problem. Bonaire Oysters on the menu?
It is a significant problem for 700 on 114 square miles of semi-arid land. I enjoy Mountain oysters, but never had any from a donkey. Probably as tasty.

How exactly do the donkeys "adversely affect the habitats and bioregions" of Bonaire?
Uncontrolled, way too many for the land mass. Got it? I don't know of any believable reports that they are being exterminated, but control is needed.

Just a message to validate that a contact has been given to the Donkey Sanctuary Bonaire. The purpose of this contract was and is to eliminate all the Donkeys on Bonaire. Since Nov. 1 2014 until the day the Island Council at the request of the Citizens For a Better,Safer and Animal Friendly Bonaire, put a temporary stop to the castrating and killing of Bonaire's special donkeys, The DSB captured over 400 donkeys. 97 old or injured were killed, and brought to the land fill. Over 100 were castrated, tagged and put back. The so called Sanctuary only kept the females and young. As the male young come of age they are programmed to be castrated.
Now, 80% of Bonaire is uninhabited. So there is no problem with the donkeys after 400 plus years that are part of the Islands heritage, remaining free. They have tourist value, ,(how many of you divers enjoyed them on passed trips). Also discovered the African Nubian Wild Ass on Bonaire are on the endangered species red list, .noted to be extinct in there homeland and in the wild. Fact is although the DSB knows this they want to continue to complete the contract. So a response is needed by animal activist and those that love animals.
Please persons and politicians that are working towards removing wild horses and Burros from out west for personal gain need not respond.

Mark Keegan N.Y.: "we must not decide to eradicate donkeys merely for human convenience or prejudice".
**Please no Internet trash or jokes this is serious..

Save Bonaire's Donkeys.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2014 at 03:27 PM ----------

T.C., It is obvious you are a supporter of DSB, There is always 2 sides on a story, The most humane should prevail. You state: Captured males would be castrated and released back into the remaining wilder parts of the island; while mares and foals would be brought to the sanctuary to live." This is answered in 2 parts. The castrated males?? some were put in places where there is no water of roughage. Most returned to the roads or in town. Some were hit by cars when they were being chased. Point is the contract and taking only females that the DSB has been doing for 20 plus years is wrong and ineffective. It has disrupted the balance and is causing most of the problems. There is a viable ecobalance plan being presented and the DSB can be a big part of it. But until now are dead set on having all the donkeys in there Sanctuary. Let me ask you? There are now 500 plus females, an a few young donkeys, on 140 acres. If the contract is complete as DSB states there will be 700 plus. There is little to no place for them to get out of the sun, nothing for them to forage on. Not to mention the cost to feed 500 donkeys let alone 700. Professionals will tell you it is financially impossible. Could this money be used to help animals really in need world over??
Should the ecobalance program constructed by wild life and land management professionals be put in place? Or should the separation of families, killing of the old, castrating of an endangered species that should be protected continue.
If you want to discuse this a bit more email savebonairesdonkey@hotmail.com
A meeting of the minds can help do the right thing...

Save Bonaire's Donkey's

---------- Post added June 13th, 2014 at 04:01 PM ----------

Dandy Dan, you stated the following, and we appreciate your comments, as it takes a good debate to get to the truth of all matters.
Yep, not only are they non-native but they are destructive. After close to 500 year residency they are 2nd only to the Indians.
They probably are suffering from their own over population and maybe inbreeding.
Yes, the DSB stated that they are inbread when asked about the studies they said there are none we just know it?????

There has been DNA taken from 4 donkeys it came back not only as an exact match with the endangered species African Nubian wild Ass
But so healthy that the genealogist mentioned Bonaire's donkeys are in better condition then the wild burros of the western U.S.
As far as destructive, Nuisance not destructive, a small percentage. Trash cans turned over of persons that left them out or will not secure the lids, If I took your water supply and food source away by non controlled progress, I think you would look for the nearest source. Most complaints come from new residents and if that is the case maybe they should go a way and leave the persons that enjoy nature in peace.

"save Bonaires Donkeys", Your post is not accurate. Sorry, but that's the truth.

The castrated males?? some were put in places where there is no water of roughage. Most returned to the roads or in town. Some were hit by cars when they were being chased.
This statement is clearly not true. An independent and unbiased outside agency reviewed the Sactuary, and found the living conditions excellent. See my first post for the detailed report that refutes this claim.

The DSB captured over 400 donkeys. 97 old or injured were killed, and brought to the land fill.
This is another inaccurate statement backed up by the outside report I linked to in my first post.

Point is the contract and taking only females that the DSB has been doing for 20 plus years is wrong and ineffective. It has disrupted the balance and is causing most of the problems.
What is the scientific basis for this statement? Do you even have a scientific basis for any of your statements? As I asked the other poster, where is your proof?

Also discovered the African Nubian Wild Ass on Bonaire are on the endangered species red list, .noted to be extinct in there homeland and in the wild. Fact is although the DSB knows this they want to continue to complete the contract.
This is not accurate. The report found Nubian Wild Ass DNA, but not that it is the same species, or an exact match. Every donkey in the world has this DNA, because this was the original stock that donkeys were domesticated from millennia ago. It does not make them an exact match.

Furthermore, comparing 4 animals and declaring them an "exact match" is very poor science. It casts serious doubt on your "scientist" and what he claims. Where is your evidence for this claim?

T.C., It is obvious you are a supporter of DSB

NO. I am a supporter of the truth, whatever that may be. I have actually never been to the Sanctuary or donated money to them. I have no dog in this fight. But what you post is not the truth. You have zero evidence to back up your claims, while I have ample evidence that proves you wrong.

The facts are clear, and well-documented in the links I have posted. The Sanctuary is removing the urban donkeys, leaving the wild population alone. They geld the captured stallions to prevent the Sanctuary population from exploding. It was the Sanctuary’s founder who fought the only elimination plan, to export all the donkeys. And the stated goal is to manage the population. Not eliminate them.

Back
Top Bottom