Save Bonaire's Donkeys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I visited the Donkey sanctuary in January of this year. The animals are clearly kept humanely and they are all available to be seen. The people working there were clearly concerned with the animals' health and welfare. The space is quite large, it took about 20 minutes to drive a full circuit of the larger section, with numerous feeding stations. I would not say that they are kept as in the wild; it is clearly a space that could not support that population without the food provided.

On the other hand, the donkeys you see in the wild look like crap. They are skinny and mangy, it seem obvious that they are not suited to the climate or terrain of Bonaire, and never would have survived there in good condition without human intervention. They did not evolve there, they are. not adapted to the island, and seem to be just barely surviving.

The notion that they are of great scientific interest or value seems unlikely to be true. It is an inbred population of animals brought to the island as work animals starting 300 years ago.

It was my understanding that the intent of the sanctuary is to provide a humane way to gradually allow the population to dwindle to nothing over some reasonable period of time through their program of capture and sterilization. The animals are to be kept and cared for for the remainder of their lives using funds raised by the organization. It was my impression that the intention is to humanely end the donkeys' time on the island rather than to allow them to struggle miserably on in a place they were never meant to be.

I'm sure the feral donkeys are doing poorly on the over populated island, along with their damages - but I bet they keep a small breeding population even after the current population dwindles.

On Galapagos, the donkeys were as destructive to the ecosystem as the goats. As a result, there is an eradication program that was started a few years ago. Donkeys adapt to the arid regions and destroy the cacti and succulents that endemic species depend on.

Bonaire's has identified the donkeys as a threat, but more humane in their method pf population reduction.

"Ignorance is bliss"

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2014 at 05:51 PM ----------

An animal sanctuary is defined as "a tract of land where birds and wildlife, especially those hunted for sport, can breed and take refuge in safety from hunters." The question of who the "hunters" are on the island of Bonaire is very questionable as the "Donkey Sanctuary" itself appears to be hunting and capturing these wild burros to castrate all the males and gather the females and babies into a confined area in this self proclaimed "sanctuary". Animal sanctuaries typically do not allow access to outsiders (human visitors) for fear they will do harm by feeding the animals. In addition, local residents here report that nearly 500 donkeys in the Bonaire sanctuary are contained in an area where there is little place for them to get out of the sun or where normal roughage is not plentiful. The "Donkey Sanctuary of Bonaire" is a glorified "PETTING ZOO" where admission is charged, then visitors can purchase donkey feed right there to hand-feed them.

Reported to me from local residents was the information that the castrated donkeys are immediately released after surgery (or the next day) which does not allow ample time to monitor for infections, which can lead to death.

Scientific studies and data presented by Allan Savory in a TED talk illustrates and emphasizes the need for wild roaming animal herds to prevent desertification of land masses. Similarly, the likelihood is very high in Bonaire that interfering with this island's isolated and unique ecosystem by allowing this 'sanctuary' to stop all natural reproduction of this species and ultimately eliminating all wild burros from the island would have very serious ramifications for the ecosystem of Bonaire. Common sense would dictate to leave the ecosystem here alone, and put time and energy into researching wild herd management, not annihilation as what seems to be the goal currently of the Donkey Sanctuary of Bonaire. I suggest that the owners of the sanctuary pause to do the proper research needed before carrying out anymore inhumane captures and castrations of the wild burros of Bonaire - a traditional symbol in literature and art for generations.

An animal sanctuary is defined as "a tract of land where birds and wildlife, especially those hunted for sport, can breed and take refuge in safety from hunters."
We are discussing the project in English but we have no info on what they actually call it in their language? Perhaps the name was mistaken in the translation? Whatever the case, they are fighting for the ecology of the island. Killing off the donkeys would be more effective, but they're not going that far.

Have you ever castrated an animal? Having extensive experience in such, I think their actions are harmless enough. We've cut thousands of calves and turned them lose the same day with very few problems.

GET EDUCATED BEFORE YOU COMMENT AND READ WHAT SCIENCE HAS TO SAY:

File:Nubian Wild Ass of Bonaire Research Report by Craig C. Downer.pdf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...er_to_Bonaire_Island_Council_Robert_Bauer.pdf

Gee, and if anyone wants to actually be helpful, you can sign a petition:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/835/511/071/stop-the-annihilation-of-a-critically-endangered-species/

LASTLY, NUBIAN WILD ASS VERIFIED BY MITOCHONDRIAL DNA SEQUENCING. LAB REPORT ON BONAIRE'S DONKEYS: (5 pages)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Texas_A&M_report_pg.1.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Texas_A&M_report_pg.2.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Texas_A&M_report_pg.3.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Texas_A&M_report_pg.4.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Texas_A&M_report_pg.5.jpg

Oh and FYI here's the IUCN RED LIST while we're at it:
Equus africanus (African Ass, African Wild Ass, Ass)

Furthermore, the Netherlands is a member of the IUCN.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2014 at 06:10 PM ----------

ANYONE who actually studies ecology, biological diversity, and Darwin's Theory, understands that nature is the BEST vehicle for population control. Man trying to control nature? Really?

ANYONE who actually studies ecology, biological diversity, and Darwin's Theory, understands that nature is the BEST vehicle for population control. Man trying to control nature? Really?
Sure, if you leave nature alone. The donkeys were introduced as an invasive specie. Remove them from the island completely and nature will do well. Or, compromise on controlling that invasive specie.

The "Nubian Wild Ass" donkeys of Bonaire, which are a Critically-Endangered species on the IUCN Red List, have lived on the island of Bonaire longer than the oldest living human on the island for at least 400 years. "invasive species"? How ridiculous.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2014 at 09:06 PM ----------

Additional follow-up report by Wildlife Ecologist, Member of the IUCN Species Survival Commission and President of the Andean Tapir Fund/Wild Horse and Burro Fund, Craig C. Downer's research trip to Bonaire - released August 2, 2014:

Additional Observations and Ideas concerning my Trip to Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles, to Assess the Status of its Rare Population of Wild Donkeys and their Situation
By Craig C. Downer, Wildlife Ecologist, President: Andean Tapir Fund/Wild Horse and Burro Fund, P.O. Box 456, Minden, NV 89423 T. 775-901-2094. Email: ccdowner@aol.com
August 2nd, 2014
Bonaire is a delightful, tropical desert island that lies in the southern Caribbean ocean just 126 miles northwest of Caracas, Venezuela, but only 63 miles to the northeast of the Venezuelan coast at its closest point. I visited this island for the first time between July 12th and 27th, 2014, to see what I could do as a wildlife ecologist to give the wild donkeys here a reprieve and hopefully a reinstatement upon this their home island, where they have been blamed by a certain overweening minority for nearly every perceived problem. I discovered that the donkeys are really not to blame, but are being used as scapegoats for the ecological and safety problems that our kind is causing.
Meetings With and Tours Given By Bonaireans
I was hosted by Mr. Al Catalfumo, head of the NGO: Citizens for a Better, Safer, Animal-Friendly Bonaire as well as by his daughter Mrs. Rona Alguilar, who is also with the We Care For Bonaire NGO and that was also my host. I was joined by competent Montana graduate filmmaking student J.D. Moore from Missoula during most of my two + weeks on the island. Also, in addition to Rona and Al former Bonaire governor Raymundo P. Saleh guided me to points of interest, and I was introduced to an impressive array of Bonaireans: including businessmen, divers, mechanics, farmers, park rangers, biologists, and tourist guides. I had the good fortune to meet with the present Bonairean Governor Edison Rijna, who, on Friday the 18th of July, listened respectfully to what I had to say as well as to others on the team. This meeting took place in his historic presidential office in downtown Kralendijk. Governor Rijna is a native Bonairean and values the donkeys’ presence on the island. I felt that he displayed much sympathy for the ongoing plight of the wild donkeys, but hoped that he would act immediately to stop their ongoing elimination from the island as a vital, long-term-viable population.
We had met earlier in the week (July 15th) with biologist Frank Von Slabbe who oversees the donkey elimination project and gave him many points supportive of the wild donkeys; yet at the end of the day he seemed unwilling to call off the ongoing capturings and castrations of all the donkeys. We told him these donkeys are “critically endangered” as judged by IUCN Species Survival Commission as well as being positively contributing presences on Bonaire (see my earlier report and summary); and we insisted that the current program is placing this very rare and unique population in imminent danger of disappearing. Though I carefully explained to Mr. Von Slabbe and the other government workers present how the donkeys contribute positively to the ecosystem and that there is a strong and mounting evidence that these donkeys are a very pure remnant of the Critically Endangered (CR) Nubian Wild Ass, Von Slabbe stubbornly maintained that he would do nothing to stop the current program. I even gave him a copy of my peer-reviewed scientific article with references and presenting evidence backing up my assertionis. (It is noteworthy that he did not show up for my public talk on the evening of Friday, July 25th.) In my opinion, he is either himself helping to drive the elimination of these donkeys or doing the will of others who hold control over his job and give him his orders. The latter may be the case. He did recommend our group’s taking this issue up again before the Island Council. During our lengthy morning meeting, there were times in which he indicated that there were sectors of Bonaire, such as the extensive Bolivia sector, where he thought the wild donkeys could continue to live in the wild. He also suggested that I could serve as an appraiser of the donkey program and that I submit a proposal along the lines of the Reserve Design concept I had described.
Along with Raymundo P. Saleh, I also met with the newly appointed head of SINAPA, the agency over the national parks and wildlife of Bonaire. This is Johan Ulfman (? Spelling) who recently arrived from Holland to take his post. He listened carefully to what I had to say and received my eight-page report, as well as my scientific article. All this he did seemingly with keen interest, promising to carefully read these and to pass my papers on to his chief biologist for perusal.
My Public Talk Defending the Place of the Bonairean Donkey
I gave a public talk on the evening of Friday, July 25th, accompanied by a power-point presentation. A significant number of interested and influential Bonaireans came, including Island Council members. Al and Rona also spoke, and much concern over the fate of the Bonairean wild donkeys was expressed. All in attendance concurred that it is imperative that immediate and significant alterations in the donkey program, namely an immediate halt to all further capturings and castrations, be made now. This must be done to save the last remaining of Bonaire’s Wild Donkeys, thought legal means if necessary. All agreed that a professional study should be made to determine the best possible course of action both for the donkeys and for Bonaire.
By the way, Rona and I personally invited the veterinarian who is castrating the male donkeys to my talk, but he did not come. He displayed a hostile attitude when we went to his office during the afternoon before the talk, uttering some rude statement about our telling “more lies”. A group of castrated donkeys were observed near his office in the late afternoon. When I got out of the car to photograph them, they became utterly terrified, perhaps because I reminded them of their painful and traumatizing operation. Perhaps my tallness and “gringo” appearance reminded them of the veterinarian and of the operation. At least this is what I surmised. One large donkey seemed very upset and whirled and crashed into the bushes in a terrified manner.
My Attempt to Visit the Bonaire Donkey Sanctuary and what I gathered concerning this
My attempt to visit the Bonaire Donkey Sanctuary, run by Marina Melis, met with her rude refusal to allow me even to peacefully observe. I was able to hear her introductory talk, however, before she recognized me, perhaps from a flyer for my talk that night that had been recently sent to her. So I was never afforded the opportunity to observe any of the captured donkeys, many of which are females or young.
Many of the older males that her well-funded program castrates are merely set out to wander on the island. I believe that their depressed state and pain as well as loss of their family and social ties is making them more prone to accidents, especially collisions with typical speeding traffic of Bonaire. This occurs especially when they come to the human-inhabited areas of the island such as to find water or food. Too many of the wells in the hinterlands, or “mundi”, of the island have either been shut off or fallen into disrepair, as I observed during my tours of the island. One solution is to reactivate these wells so as to provide a permanent water source for these donkeys and to relocate the donkeys to these more remote areas, where they should be at first kept in an enclosure that is as large as possible, until they become accustomed to their new natural home. This is the humane and caring way, not more elimination and set up for their total elimination. Bonaire’s wild donkeys have inhabited the island for five centuries! It should also be mentioned that the concentration of the jennies and their young at Marina Melis’ Bonaire Donkey Sanctuary is also reported to be causing many of the related donkeys in the wild to come to the edge of the sanctuary and call for their family members. This is very sad, and is also, I am told by residents, responsible for some of the automobile accidents with these socially disrupted donkeys.
Marina Melis’ introduction to the sanctuary was very emotional as she claimed her project was rescuing the donkeys from a tragic fate in the wild where they did nothing but overpopulate and destroy the natural world. She seemed totally oblivious of any of their positive attributes, contributions and self-limiting capabilities and gave them absolutely no credit as a valuable wildlife species in their own right. After she recognized who I was, she became very aggressive, asking me my name and why I came to the sanctuary. After I tried to say that I was just there to view the donkeys peacefully, she ordered me off her property immediately, to which I quickly complied, as she had become very red in the face and was very threatening in her gestures and tone of voice. Because I did not want to create a scene in front of all the tourists, including mothers and children at the entrance building and gift shop, I merely left this scene. The family group I was with were so disturbed by the rude behavior, they also left, picking me up in their rented vehicle. Together we returned to our inn. It seems to me that if Marina Melis were at all reasonable and fair and had nothing to hide, she would have gladly given me a tour of her donkey sanctuary so as to convince me that what she was doing was right. As it turned out, I was unable to view the ca. 500 captured donkeys there and to assess their condition as a professional wildlife biologist.
Observations of Pitiful State of Released, Castrated, and “Set-Up” as well as Still-Uncaptured Donkeys on Bonaire, including the Crucial Issue of Automobile Accidents involving Wild Donkeys … Solutions
Nonetheless, I was able to observe many donkeys throughout the island during my two+ week stay here. I saw many of the males with ear tags that the Bonaire Donkey Sanctuary veterinarian(s) had castrated. The latter seemed very depressed and some were even morose. They were mostly lethargic in their movements and demeanor. A few, however, seemed utterly terrified and flew into a panic at my approach, perhaps recalling their capture and castration by a man of my similar height and appearance. I really felt for these fellow mammals and long-time companions of man. Many were observed as they wandered along at the edge of the streets of Kralendijk and other areas with concentrated or fast- moving traffic. I sincerely hope that these will soon be relocated to more natural parts of the island with permanent water sources available/restored for them and where they can live out their lives in relative peace, after all that has been done to them and their families.
I also observed some extremely emaciated or recently killed wild donkeys:
The very first donkey I saw on July 13 was an emaciated, light greyish-white male, who was near the oil tanks on the northwestern portion of the island in the “Brasil” sector (see my pictures of this poor donkey). About two-thirds of his left ear had been torn off, probably where the orange plastic tag had been affixed. It was so pitiful to see him in his last days, and I suspect he was one of the cruelly traumatized older males that the so-called “donkey rescue project” had “rescued”. As the saying goes: “With friends like this, you need no enemies!” Here is how I described him in my handwritten notes: “One light grey male was emaciated and seemed on his last legs – a case of extreme neglect. It appeared that he had torn off an ear tag from his left ear, as most of the ear was missing. His body was reduced to mere skin and bones and he barely had the energy to move. Nonetheless he made every effort to get away from us humans, as though bearing a profound aversion, as indicated by his turning his head away.”
One female, or jenny, had just been struck by an automobile and lay at the side of a road just to the south of the town of Rincon (see my pictures of this orangish brown donkey). The glisten was still in her eyes and she was most likely a victim of thoughtless speeders in their vehicles, as I observed much speeding in excess of the posted speed limits throughout the island. It is absolutely urgent that steps be taken to reduce the velocity of automobiles driven both by citizens of and visitors to Bonaire! In my other report I have given some recommendations of how to deal with this speeding crisis that is also resulting in many human deaths and the two pro-wild-donkey NGOs have some brilliant solutions here.
Here are some more of my pertinent notes: “I observe how fast people drive, often exceeding by two or three times the posted speed limits both in and out of town, and this includes both Bonairean citizens and visiting tourists in their rental vehicles. There is a serious lack of speed controls such as speed bumps as well as a lack of strict enforcement of the speed limits. There is an urgent need for a public education program here including for the visitors with serious penalties.”
In my earlier report, I recommended several remedies to this speeding problem, many of which coincide with those that have been repeatedly presented by the NGOs” Citizens for a Better, Safer, and Animal Friendly Bonaire and We Care for Bonaire. As gathered from the meetings I attended, this traffic crisis is being used most strongly to justify the elimination of Bonaire’s wild donkeys. This is so unfair! This is a people problem and it is so unjust to lay it all on the wise and innocent donkeys! Let’s learn to share the world we live in with such wise and ancient, positively contributing presences and quit being such slobs!
It is clear to me that stepped-up preventative measures should include opening up wells in remote natural sectors of the island, such as Bolivia (that even biologist Frank Von Slobbe seemed to agree on). This would permit the donkeys to reoccupy the Bonairean sectors served by these wells. It would prevent accidents when combined with other measures described in my earlier report. The current program merely sets the donkeys up for extinction. Under this program, castrated and traumatized male donkeys wander around Bonaire including in Kralendijk and Rincon until they die, often of depression or from automobile accidents or from poisoning, according to Bonaireans I have spoke with. The current program is a prescription for more accidents and suffering and death, both for donkeys and people. Positive and well-thought-out steps must be taken immediately to remedy this situation!
CONTINUED next post (exceeded characters)

Veterinarian Views of Donkey Castration and its Serious Risks
I have just spoken with a veterinarian worker who cares for donkeys and has some factual knowledge about donkey castration based on experience. Her name is Gloria Canova and she lives and works in Nevada, a state that still has wild donkeys, called burros here. Her email is gloriacan9@aol.com. eShe gave me several references some by donkey-treating veterinarians. These I have perused; and the following are some of the salient points that should be noted:
1. If at all possible, donkeys should not be castrated later than one year of age. Six months is best.
2. Castration is much more risky with donkeys than with horses.
3. Donkeys are known as real “bleeders” due to the major vasculation of their testicles, which is to a greater degree even than with stallions. With donkey castration the veterinarian must take special care that the main artery not be cut. There is a major danger of quickly bleeding to death during donkey castrations. Donkeys can be given special drugs to increase clotting (but this may carry other associated risks). Sometimes a special “knot” is provoked by the veterinarian to close the blood supply to the area of the testicles (scrotum). This can be done by surgical means.
4. Castration for donkeys can be horribly painful for them to endure, a real torture and for prolonged periods of time. A high percentage go into a general decline and die, thought the cause of death may be attributed to disease or some other cause, in fact it is castration that weakened them and made them susceptible to this.
5. Castrated donkeys often experience major swelling around the area of the operation. This swelling usually lasts two weeks, but frequently lasts longer. Intense care of donkeys is required for a minimum of two weeks. Male donkeys are usually very traumatized by this operation and a significant portion of them die from it. They need to be hosed off with cold water daily for at least two weeks every day in order the alleviate extreme swelling of affected tissues. This swelling can be excruciatingly painful and cause the donkeys to avoid movement, since such movement causes them extreme pain. This can lead to less exercise and their becoming overweight, that leads to other health problems and even death.
6. Castrated donkeys need to be exercised daily to prevent problems with clotting and to control massive swelling of tissues.
7. Donkey personality may change for the worse due to mental and emotional anguish provoked by the pain and trauma that is the direct consequence of castration.
8. Donkey castration is not a simple castration, as might be done on a horse or baby donkey. A mature donkey’s testicles are much larger and more vascular than a horse’s, so the castration is riskier and additional precautions should be taken.
9. Unlike a horse, the spermatic vessels must be ligated, or tied, and then sutured with absorbable sutures, before using the emasculators. (Gloria’s vet, Dr. Alan White, also administers a shot to facilitate clotting of the wound, on account of excessive bleeding in mature donkeys.
10. The recovery is typically 7-14 days and ‘aftercare” is important to reduce the animal’s pain and also accelerate recovery. This includes daily cold-water hosings of the surgical site and groin area, preferably two times per day, and exercising the donkey daily at a trot, which helps to lessen the swelling and increase healing. Both of these will also help to lessen the donkey’s pain.
11. The risk of infection in mature donkeys can be higher than in other species, so some vets recommend antibiotics post-op as a precaution.
12. If the castration and recovery are successful, it may still be considerable time before the donkey’s hormone levels are reduced. This could be anywhere from six weeks to eight months (opinions seem to vary on this).
13. All things considered, even if the procedure is performed correctly on wild donkeys, how in the world can the proper ‘aftercare’ be given to them? How can a wild donkey be haltered, cold-hosed, and exercised? It cannot. That in itself would be an additional emotional trauma to the animal, and he could injure himself further trying to flee. For these creatures to wake up from surgery, be in excruciating pain, not understand why, and just be left with NO aftercare is torture and would likely result in a slow, painful death for many of them.
14. More than likely the donkey will be in shock from the pain and, left on its own, will just ‘stand’ rather than move, because moving will be painful. Of course, standing is the worst thing for the donkey and increases the risk of death. Again, how will a wild donkey be exercised? I don’t know that there is any humane way to castrate a mature ‘wild’ donkey, given the care that is required after such a procedure.
15. Here are some websites to check out regarding the castration of donkeys: Streaking Donkey Mini Acres: Gelding A Donkey; http://www.turningpointedonkeyrescue.com/CastrationConcensfor the Equine Owner.pdf [Note that “concens” is misspelled. Still worked for me though. Should be spelled “concerns”. This is the best of the sites and is a veterinarian’s description of donkey castration.] Plight - Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue; Donkey Abuse - Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue; Castration - Peaceful Valley Donkey Rescue [In this last site, another vet explains donkey castration but neglects to discuss the after care that is needed, such as cold-water hosings one to two times per day and daily exercising.
Closing statement:
My ecological assessment and recommendations are in my earlier report as well as in the summary that I disseminated during my speech on July 25th. I recommend you carefully read both of these.
It was enlightening as well as a pleasure to get to know Bonaire, its donkeys and other wildlife, its people, and its coral reefs and their fascinating and diverse marine creatures. It is my desire to restore the wild donkeys to their rightful and just place upon this charming and world-famous island. This is an island that is prized for its uncongested natural ambience, its wildlife, its reefs, its relaxed and friendly society and ecotourism, including world-famous diving. By all means the ancient as well as historically significant population of the Nubian Wild Ass here preserved deserves to continue as a valuable and vital presence on this special island. Here these amazing donkeys are appreciated by both residents and ecotourists alike, people who instinctively recognize their worthiness for being here.
Sincerely yours,
Craig C. Downer

The "Nubian Wild Ass" donkeys of Bonaire, which are a Critically-Endangered species on the IUCN Red List, have lived on the island of Bonaire longer than the oldest living human on the island for at least 400 years. "invasive species"? How ridiculous.
Yes, invasive - quite so. Do you really not know what that means? Nature, which you said you support, did not put them there. The Spanish introduced them. Their numbers have greatly increased, causing problems in Nature. So who is being ridiculous...??

As inbred as the population is, if you think their genetics are so important, take them all to Vermont, or better back to their origins in Nubia.

Back
Top Bottom