Save A Dive Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xhotardx

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a little question about the use of save a dive kit stuff. Both my dive buddy, and myself will wear 40cfu pony's when getting into any kind of diving > 60' (majority of our dives). Now say that you had a failure on your second stage primary. Which of the followings statements is correct when completing one day of diving?

-You would be safe to use a port plug on your second stage, and switch to your octo (as a primary) because you have a pony which can be used as a means of redundancy.

-You your definitely should never dive with only one second stage regulator, even if you have a redundant source like a pony.

Please pick one and explain your thoughts... thanks a ton!!!

Question, can you get to your pony quickly/immediately if your buddy went OOG?

Eh yea, thats the point of a pony. It should be configured for quick deployment in the event that your entire reg system takes a dump.

It's wise to have an alternate air source. If your primary reg malfunctions, you can try switching to your octopus/backup reg. If you are out of gas, then you need to switch to a redundant air source (your buddy or a pony).

As long as you can safely allow for OOA contingencies, I see no problem with your setup. In your configuration, you are carrying two fully independent air sources. An argument could be made that the configuration in question is actually safer than the standard recreational single tank setup with a primary reg + octopus. This assumes that you are proficient in quickly deploying the pony for yourself or your buddy (and you are, right?).
-You your definitely should never dive with only one second stage regulator, even if you have a redundant source like a pony.
To clarify, even if you remove your primary reg, so long as you have your pony properly configured, you will be carrying two second stages.

This sounds like single tank diving so a 40 CF reserve should cover rock bottom recovery for the needy diver, or yourself. Plug & go.

Pete

I agree. As long as the pony holds enough gas for you (or your buddy) to ascend safely from your max depth. Double tank divers (independant or manifolded) only have one second stage/tank as well.

I have a little question about the use of save a dive kit stuff. Both my dive buddy, and myself will wear 40cfu pony's when getting into any kind of diving > 60' (majority of our dives). Now say that you had a failure on your second stage primary. Which of the followings statements is correct when completing one day of diving?

-You would be safe to use a port plug on your second stage, and switch to your octo (as a primary) because you have a pony which can be used as a means of redundancy.

Please pick one and explain your thoughts... thanks a ton!!!

Never dive with less air than it would take to ascend while sharing that air with your buddy. If you and your buddy can buddy breath, then one regulator is sufficient. Otherwise, that air source would need two regulators.

As my pony is only 6 cu ft with only one regulator (my buddy and I can buddy breath), I will not continue the dive if I have to resort to using it. Besides, that means both my back air and my buddy's back air are gone (and my buddy's Spare Air is not available either.) Anytime I am that bad off, it's time to call the dive.

Never dive with less air than it would take to ascend while sharing that air with your buddy. If you and your buddy can buddy breath, then one regulator is sufficient. Otherwise, that air source would need two regulators.

As my pony is only 6 cu ft with only one regulator (my buddy and I can buddy breath), I will not continue the dive if I have to resort to using it. Besides, that means both my back air and my buddy's back air are gone (and my buddy's Spare Air is not available either.) Anytime I am that bad off, it's time to call the dive.

Why would you need to buddy breath off a pony?
If you are OOA you breath it and ascend.
If your buddy is OOA he breaths it and you ascend.
To buddy breath it (the pony) both you and your buddy would have to go OOA during the time it took to ascend.

I'm not sure, but I think the OP was asking if he needed to carry an alternate second stage on his back gas reg (an octo) along with the pony and reg, or if he could stop carrying the alternate second stage on his back gas reg (an octo) since he has the pony...?

I leave my alternate second stage on my back gas reg (the octo) in addition to my pony as I may not carry my pony on a shallow dive.
Why would you need to buddy breath off a pony?
If you are OOA you breath it and ascend.
If your buddy is OOA he breaths it and you ascend.
To buddy breath it (the pony) both you and your buddy would have to go OOA during the time it took to ascend.
Yeah really. No reason to buddy breath a pony. The pair ascends ont he first failure, one on the pony and one on the surviving backgas reg.

I read the OP to be asking that, in the event that one of his backgas regs didn't work last minute at the dive site, could he dive with one reg on his back gas and one reg on a 40cuft. pony. I think he says he usually has two regs on the backgas.
He can clarify that if I got it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom