Saturday After Thanksgiving Dive and Picnic @ Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMGosh, had the BEST time today, with lots of friends, old and new, at the Turkey Fry at the Blue Heron Bridge. We devoured three turkeys, a huge ham, tons of homemade specialties, including some wonderful made-from-scratch pies. Thanks to everybody, you made this gathering a HUGE success!

Now, lets get those recipes rolling!

What a FANTASTIC DAY!!!!!!

Thanks a million to those who came early and set up...to the turkey chefs and the manatee kabob chef...to those who brought DELICIOUS dishes and desserts...to those who dived with me...and to the person who let me have some much needed "mouthwash" after the dive. (Captain Morgan makes the very best mouthwash, btw!) Many thanks for being so gracious to my friend and her kids. It was great to see long-time friends and meet new ones.

Hope to have some pics uploaded soon!

Next year I'll have hot chocolate for all after the dives. :)

WOW what can I say. Walter did a fantastic job on the turkeys, Jenny and Kris did and awesome job on the pies, chipotle mac & cheese was awesome Sandy and Hector you did a wonderful job on the sweet yams with peaches who would have known they would be so good with peaches in them. The baked beans where a hit as well that Jsmity brought the kids really loved them.

The dive was so beautiful cownose rays by the dozen went right over our heads playing around like they just had not a care in the world. The spade fish in schools so large under the bridge and the Sargent Majors were swimming around everywhere. I love the big starfish WOW and so many. Saw a few cudas , a jack and a lobster to boot.
The water was really nice I did not freeze like I thought I would... It was the getting out that shocked us all I think.

Thank you all so much we had a great time. That park is a wonderful place to have parties and dive for sure...

Got there a little late but it was still great meeting everyone and having some delicious food, my friends and I had a great time :D The dive was nice too haha, need to get a wet suit though. Anyone see the seahorses?

Click on the delicious image below to view my Picasa album of the picnic and dive.

What a fabulous time! It was good to see everyone again, and even meet a few new people. The food was fantastic and plentiful, the weather turned out to be nice, and one couldn't ask for a better bunch of people to hang out with! Thanks everyone!

Here is the recipe for the Chipotle Mac and Cheese that people asked for. Thanks to Debby for supplying it to me!

FLEMING'S CHIPOTLE CHEDDAR MACARONI AND CHEESE
Yield:8-10 servings
1 pound cavatappi or curly pasta
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 cup onion, 1/2-inch diced
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cups heavy cream
3 cups half and half
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
3/4 pound smoked cheddar cheese, grated; see cook's notes
1/4 pound cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Cook's notes: Smoked cheddar cheese is available at Whole Foods and Bristol Farms.
( I used 1 pound med. cheddar cheddar cheese and five shakes of liquid smoke, since I could not find smoked cheddar.)

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot, bring 1 gallon of water to boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt and pasta and cook for 8-9 minutes. Drain pasta and cool under cold running water. Pasta should be slightly firm. Toss drained pasta in oil and reserve.
2.Melt butter in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, but do not brown. Add cream, half and half, kosher salt and white pepper. Bring pot to a simmer. Cook until sauce is thick, about 5-6 minutes. Blend cheese into sauce. Add cooked pasta.
3. Pour pasta and sauce into a 9-by-12-inch baking dish. Reserve.
4.In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add oil and chipotle chili powder. Heat for 30 seconds, until pan starts to smoke. Remove from stove and stir in bread crumbs.
5.Sprinkle bread crumbs over the pasta and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Cool slightly before serving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom