San Juan Islands Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jarhed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had an opportunity to get in a day of diving during a recent visit to the San Juan Islands. It was my first visit to Washington State, my wife and I live in Monterey, CA and really enjoy cold water diving. We went out with Kurt with Bandito Charters on a Thursday afternoon.

http://www.banditocharters.com/bandito/index.htm

We were the only divers on the boat and we pulled out as soon as we got our gear onboard. I have a big DSLR camera system which I didn’t get an opportunity to assemble beforehand, but the spacious cabin offered plenty of room to do that.

Kurt maneuvered the boat in perfectly for each drop, picked us up where we surfaced and had sandwiches, hot soup and fresh, warm cookies for us between dives.

Overall, diving was pretty good, vis was ~15ft on the first dive and closer to 25ft on the second. Overall, I saw the most, biggest, and greatest diversity of nudibranchs that I have seen. It was macro heaven. Otherwise, it was very similar to Monterey diving except everything was much bigger.

I attached a few samples for you to enjoy.

I would definitely recommend Bandito Charters to anyone in the area, Kurt’s flexibility, service and local knowledge was great. I hope to get a chance to dive with him again.

Also, a plug for the little seafood shop on the pier, it has the best smoked salmon I’ve ever had. My wife and I grabbed half a pound and some crackers and a bottle of wine, headed out to Picket’s Lane to watch foxes chase rabbits next to the beach. It’s a great way to spend an evening.

Attachments

• Crab.jpg
    Crab.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Sea urchin.jpg
    Sea urchin.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Grunt sculpin.jpg
    Grunt sculpin.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 42
  • white-lined nudibranch (Dirona albolineata).jpg
    white-lined nudibranch (Dirona albolineata).jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 41
Nice pictures. I'm moving to Washington in January and I can't wait.

-Nick

Bandito runs good boats. Glad you had the opportunity to enjoy some of the good viz we've had the last few weeks!

This is a great time of year to be diving the San Juans ... glad you enjoyed yourself. Bandito runs an excellent charter.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom