Diving in the San Juan Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zach The Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Seeking some feedback on San Juan Islands diving. I'm an open water diver with 60ish dives, with most of my dives being in South Puget Sound and Hood Canal. Excluding a dive trip in Canada coming up next weekend, the furthest north I'll have dived will have been Edmonds. Looking for any advice on locations, charters, and general advice- I understand that diving this area entails potentially dangerous situations and some of the locations (i.e. Deception Pass) are way too hazardous to attempt at my level of experience. Rest assured, I'm not that foolish.

If any fellow PNW divers could provide some insight on a good first dive trip up, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Not sure about the San Juans, but there are some some easy spots in North Deception Pass. Rosario Beach is commonly used as a training spot. Another common training spot is at Keystone on Whidbey island by the ferry dock. Hopefully someone has better answers on the islands themselves.

If you can find a copy of the out-of-print book "Northwest Shore Dives" by Stephen Fischnaller, he describes many shore diving sites in the San Juans (along with the rest of the Pugest Sound) including tide and current recommendations and suggested experience levels required. That is my go-to reference for shore diving sites in the Salish Sea. You can use pnwdiving.com for tide and current recommendations for popular sites as well.

Charters are very limited in the San Juan Islands. Bandito Charters (out of Tacoma) sometimes schedules runs out of Anacortes, but they are limited. There is a rumor that YSS Dive (out of Hoodsport) is going to move one of their boats up to the islands for a while this summer, but I've seen nothing official.

Bandito also used to moor up in Anacortes for the summer, not sure is they are still moving north for the season or not.

Back
Top Bottom