Diving in the San Juan Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2:
Anybody dive Lopez Island? I'm going to be there at the end of June and I see there's a couple of parks that may have accessible shorelines.
I've not dived them but there are the following shore dives available:
3 sites at Odlin County Park: (bay, north rocky shoreline, south rocky shoreline)
1 site at Spencer Spit State Park: (long walk but colorful wall dive)
2 sites at Agate Beach County Park: (bay - if up for a long [surface] swim, head to Shark Rock and its nearby wall of urchins)

Why take the boat on the ferry? It's not a long motor over.
My 10' RIB with a 4 hp motor only does about 5 mph. I would like a bigger boat, but for now, the trailer is the answer.

Anyone here old enough to remember diving with Gordon back in the good o'le days! Not to start any debates.....but I think the main reason that the Starfire had a viable operation was the hunting / gathering options that attracted a lot of us. Noth'n quite like steaming up a big pot of pectin scallops in the galley on the ride back to Anacortes...

I still have this poster out in my shop..

E75zP6V.jpg

I'm actually on San Juan at the moment (Hello from Friday Harbor!) and checked out a cool potential dive site today. San Juan County Park, just a mile or two north of Lime Kiln State Park has a beach with a kayak launch you can drive right to, and opens onto a protected cove. According to the ranger, if you swim out of the little cove it is basicallyna wall and goes to 200' not far out. The headland protects the area from the current, which can get ripping. Given how hard it is to find places to easially access the water on the west side of the island, I am excited to try this on my next trip. There is another nice cove on the north side of the park near the camping area that is accessible by stairs (a LOT of stairs) that looks very promising. Harbor seals use the little island just off shore for pupping.

I can't (yet) personally verify it, but sounds like two very promising dive sites right next to one another with easy access!

Back
Top Bottom