San Carlos July 4th Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billeelou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went to San Carlos MX over the 4th-8th of July. Take highway 15 south out of Nogales Arizona, toll road cost less than 100 pesos to avoid all the small towns. 256 miles later we are in San Carlos, Son. Mx( near Guaymas for those Map challenged) on the SEA of Cortez...reservations thru SEASIDE Rentals(.com) $367.50 for 4 nites at a Condo at the Marina( Marinaterra hotel) 3 pools a restaurant, niteclub and bar on site.

Surface time was the dive op located right next door....6 tanks/ 3 dive days in the 4 days we were there, water 80-85F, San Pedro Island( sea lions) were $80, local dives were $60.00

There is plenty of Shore diving oportunities as well, but we did not avail ourselves of any of it....the kids went to the dolphinaria

Places to eat...TACOS MORTALES in Guaymas- this is a Cart on the street in the bandera section of town, you will sit on plastic chairs at a red plastic table in the street but the tacos cost 1.55 (2)and are GREAT, they been there 23 years...7 of us ate for $34 including cokes and extras.... Toro restaurant at the Best Western in SC for Palapa...just order it, then have them explain it to you, excellent

San Pedro Island 19 miles off shore is a protected Sea lion rookery and there must be a resident group of pods of Dolphins betyween it and SC, 'cause we saw at least 100 of them coming from all over to play in the wake of the boat also one grey whale, can't get more specific cause it did not "breech" also group of about 7 Mantas on the way out one day.

Vis was between 35-60 feet (11 to 18 meters) Water was rash guard warm and almost no Agua malas (jelly fish) this year tons of eels, angel fish puffers, grouper, wrasses and the Ladies came out to play. the resident Sea lions will come out and almost take your reg out of your mouth as they play with you!! The folks at Surface tiome were great, let us dive our air, took us out with only 2 on the boat( no cancellations) and we dove with 2, 4 and 14 others, no problem in taking a non-diving buddy to splash around....If you want a "guided Tour" dive at 45 minutes max, this is not your dive operator, Onward, the trip back was "eventful" but thats for a different time...

For the other side of the SEA of Cortez, give it a try....

Thanks for the report. We're headed to La Paz in a couple weeks, i'm glad to hear the water is warming up. (i'm a cold water wuss). I hadn't heard of San Carlos for diving, i'm going to add it to the list of places to research for a future trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom