San Antonio Oct 18- 23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be in San Antonio the week of Oct 18th for a user's conference there and plan to dive while I am there. Originally I had planned to go back up to Windy Point friday morning but I am curious to know what diving there is in San Antonio for a beginner.

Thanks
Judy

jstuart1:
I will be in San Antonio the week of Oct 18th for a user's conference there and plan to dive while I am there. Originally I had planned to go back up to Windy Point friday morning but I am curious to know what diving there is in San Antonio for a beginner.

Thanks
Judy
Welcome to San Antonio! Viz in our local lakes tends to be, how do I say this........crummy. A fun place to dive that is a very good place for a beginner is the Comal River just north of San Antonio. Viz is decent, there are fish to look at and feed and the current isn't all that strong. If you still want the low down on two nearest lakes (Medina and Canyon) send me a PM.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try it. How fast is the current there?

jstuart1:
Thanks for the info. I think I'll try it. How fast is the current there?

Not fast at all. We usually put in slightly up river and drift feet first. One or two kicks will stop your drift easily. You can kick into the current with little effort. I have hovered at 12ft with just a really slow kick. My only word of caution is the steps leading into and out of the river. They are extremely slick!

Satshark:
Not fast at all. We usually put in slightly up river and drift feet first. One or two kicks will stop your drift easily. You can kick into the current with little effort. I have hovered at 12ft with just a really slow kick. My only word of caustion is the steps leading into and out of the river. They are extremely slick!
that is no lie. do not try to do the stairs with your hands full. something you can do if its a good weekend with lots of tubers is lie on your back on the bottom and look for some of the bikinied tubers to go by. also a blast of air from your octo seems to get a reaction from time to time.

kman458:
something you can do if its a good weekend with lots of tubers is lie on your back on the bottom and look for some of the bikinied tubers to go by. also a blast of air from your octo seems to get a reaction from time to time.

We do that to the nudists at Hippy Hollow! :11:

kman458:
also a blast of air from your octo seems to get a reaction from time to time.

LOL

kman458:
lie on your back on the bottom and look for some of the bikinied tubers to go by.

Hmmm I think I am the wrong gender to enjoy bikini bottoms going by. :11:

Drifting backwards sounds kind of interesting.

jstuart1:
LOL

Hmmm I think I am the wrong gender to enjoy bikini bottoms going by. :11:

Drifting backwards sounds kind of interesting.

I have a friend that is an instructor. (He advertises on this board so this isn't a shameless plug :wink: ) If you sign up for his AOW class you can do a drift and a night dive on the Comal on a Wednesday evening. Then do your Deep and Nav dives with him in Lake Travis on a weekend.

Lake Travis near Austin isn't too far either and has been offering better vis than Canyon and Medina. More to see too, if the temp hasn't dropped too much by then that is. But the comal river is a decent dive, especially at night. There are actually 2 different dives you can do, above the tube chute, and below the tube chute. The nice thing about the river also is that it is spring fed so its a constant temp year round.

If you're interested and need a dive partner, shoot me a pm and we'll see if we can meet up. Also, my LDS does night dives on Thurs. nights, no cost, just show up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom