same or different regs for pony and back gas (mk17 vs poseidon xstream)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi,
in anticipation for my Naui Master Scuba Diver Class (next year), i'm choosing a regulator for a required pony bottle. since i primarily dive in New England, i need a cold water reg. i use poseidon xstream and I'm content with it. Servicing poseidon is not an issue for me so i don't consider it as a disadvantage. I'm trying to choose between smth that I already have and like (poseidon xstream) and something new for a change sp mk17). I'd definitely want to have 1st and 2nd stages from the same company for the ease of service.
how many of you have the same 1st and 2nd stages for a pony/stage bottle (or a double for that matter) as for back gas (or another double)?

I used an older US Divers Conshelf 14 for my pony when I use it. I find that most people use their older regs for this. If price is not a factor go for another Poseidon, why not! I have an older model Cyklon, Poseidons are great for colder water and bullet proof.

Hi,

We have Atomics for primary regs (Z1, sealed, DIN), and ScubaPro MK16 or MK17 + R190 octo regs for ponies.

Love the Atomics; ScubaPro was the typical pony setup where we got those.

Both are good regs, never had any problems with either, not a prolem for service for either.

Cheers,
W

Poseidon8118:
I used an older US Divers Conshelf 14 for my pony when I use it. I find that most people use their older regs for this. If price is not a factor go for another Poseidon, why not! I have an older model Cyklon, Poseidons are great for colder water and bullet proof.

Generally, I would think your pony reg should be a high-quality one ... when you need it, you REALLY, REALLY need it!

-- W

wcl:
Generally, I would think your pony reg should be a high-quality one ... when you need it, you REALLY, REALLY need it!

-- W

How is a Conshelf 14 not a good choice for a pony?

I've been really pleased with the ScubaPro MK17 first stage...this is the first stage on my doubles and deco cylinders. My second stages are a bit of a mixed bag, all SP however: S600 on my doubles, S555 and R190 for the 40's.

Haven't any experience with Poseidon but folks I know who use them have nothing but praise...

Wasn't specifically referring to the Conself per se, not very familiar with it.

Just making the point to go for quality, and perhaps an older reg lying around should be vetted against the need (it may be shelved for a reason ...).

Cheers,
Walter

Poseidon8118:
How is a Conshelf 14 not a good choice for a pony?

I have MK17's for my back gas and MK2+ for the pony bottle.
I went with the MK2 for the pony because they are a good simple reg, and Scubatoys had them for a blow out price.
In time I want to upgrade my pony to either an MK17 or the MK25.
Jim breslin

wcl:
Wasn't specifically referring to the Conself per se, not very familiar with it.

Just making the point to go for quality, and perhaps an older reg lying around should be vetted against the need (it may be shelved for a reason ...).

Cheers,
Walter

The Conshelf 14 is still made and is used by the Navy SEALs as well as a number of other military branches. Some of us who have been diving for 25 years or more have 6-10 different regulators to pick from. We rid ourselves of the stuff we don't use and implement our "good old favorites". As for a pony I would pick a regulator whose design is as simple as possible with a proven track record. I really can’t think of any regulator with a better record for this application.

Just because a regulator is old doesn’t mean it’s obsolete. This is not the computer industry…Technology has not changed much in this field in the past thirty years. As long as you have it annually serviced the regulator should perform as well as it did 20 years ago. And as for quality how many regs do you own that are 20 years or older? My Conshelf is from the early 80's…if that’s not quality I don’t know what is…

http://www.aqualung.com/products/conshelf_xiv.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom