Question Poseidon Xstream 2nd Stage - Does it still breathe dry when you're vertical or looking upwards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Does the Poseidon Xstream 2nd stage reg still breathe dry when your head is in a vertical position or looking upwards towards the surface? (almost on your back)

I tried this head position with a Hollis 500SE and found it breathed very wet.

I've heard good things about the Poseidon side vent regs & that they breathe very dry, but wasn't sure if they stay dry when looking upwards towards the water surface?

Hi,

Does the Poseidon Xstream 2nd stage reg still breathe dry when your head is in a vertical position or looking upwards towards the surface? (almost on your back)

I've heard good things about the Poseidon side vent regs & that they breathe very dry, but wasn't sure if they stay dry when looking upwards towards the water surface?
All of the Poseidon regulators, including the Xstream, remain dry regardless of my position in the water . . .

The reason the 500se is different from the Jetstream is the configuration and position of the exhaust valve. The exhaust valve for the Jetstream IS the diaphragm. It is pinned beneath the faceplate quite well, and when looking up and to the right (the position most likely to allow a drop of water inside) it does not flutter like a mushroom valve.
In contrast, the Hollis valve is on the front of the case, which is lower in the water in the standard diving position. But looking up, it is highest, and as a standard mushroom valve, flutters enough during exhalation to allow a few drops into the case.

@rsingler - is the Jetstream and Xstream the same configuration? He said Xstream, and your reply is about the Jetstream.

Hi,

If you roll on your back it will leak a bit. The Jetstream will if you roll to the side and the diaphragm is facing upwards. It's not nearly as bad as some of the other regulators out there but physics are physics.

@rsingler - is the Jetstream and Xstream the same configuration? He said Xstream, and your reply is about the Jetstream.
Good pickup. I wasn't paying attention.
The XStream exhaust valve is more like the 500se. What @tbone1004 said...

Like Tbone said. My Jetstream used to breathe a tiny bit wet, but I only ever noticed it in salt water. In fresh water I would not even notice. The Xstream design seems to have taken care of that issue.

If you roll on your back it will leak a bit. The Jetstream will if you roll to the side and the diaphragm is facing upwards. It's not nearly as bad as some of the other regulators out there but physics are physics.
I tried most everything above and I couldn’t detect any water — but will futz around again tomorrow and see what happens . . .

Yeah, when I think back to diving the Jetstream, I fondly remember taking a deep breath at 150 feet (on air) without any effort at all. I had forgotten it could sometimes be a bit wet, because it was never an issue in my diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom