Salvaging Anchors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably some brass. The depths allowed for a very quick search of the large area. Give a call if you want to see the site. P.

Yeah, there's a good chance there's some salvagable stuff down there, as there's about 100'+ of wreckage. Most of it sticks up well above the bottom, in the 5-15' range, but it's pretty well twisted and is starting to collapse on itself. The "sitting upright like a dunce cap" description might have been true in 1960, but it doesn't look much like that today.

Unfortunately, my video light wouldn't strike, so the video I shot is pretty dark. I'll post some of it later today, but I don't think I'll be bothering to edit it together into anything "finished". I'll have to try again next time. :)

It was great to get out though, and it was my first time on Splash. I have to say, she's probably the most comfortable 6-pack boat I've ever dove from... I highly recommend going out for a dive with these guys.

Thanks for the kind words Matt. Hopefully we will see you again soon. P.

The bow section was in 80-90' of water. As Matt said, with wreckage 5-15' above the bottom. We did a slow swim around what's left, getting back onto the boat 40 minutes after jumping in. Water was 39F. Vis wasn't great, but we still got a decent look around. Worth another trip. As always, Jim and Pat run an excellent operation. Highly recommend.

You can find several video clips from the bow section here. Sorry again about the poor lighting. I'll try to toss them all together into one file (that's easier to play) later on... probably tomorrow.

Apparently, I forgot to upload the videos in binary ftp mode, which is a technical way of saying I'm a big dummy. I'll fix 'em when I get home tonight. Sorry about that.

Boston Diver Services:
Hey Matt, I have often seen the chain at the Salisbury but have never came upon an anchor.. Which side is it on.
Also here is a good design for a simple air lift. I used the design and it works like a charm. http://www.mindspring.com/~divegeek/airlift.htm
Capt. Pat

If you are going to go to that kind of trouble making tools, don't bother with an air lift. They are only really good for loose material like silt, sand and gravel. It will just suck plugs of mud and possable get stuck each time you go to push it into the material you want to move.

You would be better off using a jet. The down side is you need a water pump that will give you the volume and pressure to make the jet work. A good jet is also very dangerous because it will cut through a wet suit and through flesh if you aim it in the wrong direction, or you reach in front of it.

Never cut myself with my airlift. The airlift took about ten minutes to build and cost about ten bucks. If the pressure is turned up too high, it will clog with mussel shells and rocks when working in mud. In sand it is a charm.

muddiver:
...A good jet is also very dangerous because it will cut through a wet suit and through flesh if you aim it in the wrong direction, or you reach in front of it.

What a handy tool for that dive buddy who won't give you enough space... :D

Boston Diver Services:
Never cut myself with my airlift. The airlift took about ten minutes to build and cost about ten bucks. If the pressure is turned up too high, it will clog with mussel shells and rocks when working in mud. In sand it is a charm.
I put a stainless steel grate on mine to (hopefully) keep the shells and rocks out. I'll let you know how that works. Ten minutes is about right. How long does it take to build a water jet?

The video clips should be playable now.

Back
Top Bottom