Salton Sea, let's get to the bottom of it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AKeisler

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Planning my second trip to Salton Sea, this time with my rig. Has anyone dived there before? Any recommendations for safety regarding the toxicity of the water? Anyone know where to look for something cool underwater - maybe like a downed plane or building? Thanks!

Whoa....Salton Sea..................You've been there, as was I in 1993, long before I was a diver. Man, IMHO, that place stinks! Hot, dead, bugs, smells. Well, I didn't stay long--maybe caught it on a real bad day in August. I'd probably consider diving the Great Salt Lake with 150 lbs. of lead before that. But please keep us informed on what the diving is like if you go, I would be very interested. I THINK I heard of some Viking ship (I think) that somehow made it to the Pacific Coast and got landlocked in that area when it was connected to the ocean. Maybe just a myth.

Planning my second trip to Salton Sea, this time with my rig. Has anyone dived there before? Any recommendations for safety regarding the toxicity of the water? Anyone know where to look for something cool underwater - maybe like a downed plane or building? Thanks!

Sounds miserable. I dove hunt around there and it's scorching hot, tons of bugs, and very humid. The salton sea is super salty/harsh so there won't be much life and the visibility will be terrible.

I THINK I heard of some Viking ship (I think) that somehow made it to the Pacific Coast and got landlocked in that area when it was connected to the ocean. Maybe just a myth.

Most probably a myth, the vikings did not go very far into the new world, they kept to the north east.

But vikings don't get landlocked, they carry their bots over long stretch of land ;-)

Back
Top Bottom