Sakonnet Point RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That McD’ is an essential business. After a day diving in Newport, that is the last opportunity to get coffee before the highway.

I’m not sure why your dogs need a dog park, they are so small it probably takes them 4 minutes to run up the driveway.

you might get a break on when boats get set on their moorings. This time of year people are going to the yards and getting ready. You might look on the marina’s website about delays in the season.

That McD’ is an essential business. After a day diving in Newport, that is the last opportunity to get coffee before the highway.

I’m not sure why your dogs need a dog park, they are so small it probably takes them 4 minutes to run up the driveway.

you might get a break on when boats get set on their moorings. This time of year people are going to the yards and getting ready. You might look on the marina’s website about delays in the season.

High energy dogs need to run around. We'll spend 1.5-2 hrs at the dog park walking around, mostly they are running. Also dog parks give dogs the chance to socialize with other dogs and get to act like dogs running around pack playing just getting to be dogs.

Memorial Day weekend is usually the bench mark for boats going in the water, however this year who knows. I'm sure some people will put their boats in; and some won't because of the virus. There are people that use their boats for parties and rarely go out. Not much of a party with 5 people 6 feet apart. They'll probably sit it out. The hardcore anglers will be moored out there for sure.

How were you able to enter where the red dot is located on the outside of the breakwall? That's a good distance from the public parking area. Also, was it 25' deep where your red circle is drawn?

I was looking at NOAA Chart 13221 (Narragansett Bay) and it's showing 6-1/2 foot depth in the Cove?

SakPtChart040820.jpg

Appreciate the insights you are sharing as it is a pretty area and it seems that now is a fine time to dive there without any boat traffic yet.

I was thinking of places where I could do some U/W metal detecting and remembered a place I used to go for bugs years ago. It's a long drive and I haven't been there in years but recent SAT photos show that access to the breakwater and cove is still public and diveable. The picture is marked where we went in at the breakwater with a red dot, the access and parking to the cove is marked with blue and green. The red circle is where I sat on the sand in 20FSW with 20+vis and watched a school of Blue fish decimate a school of Pokies. Pieces of fish were everywhere. A Blue ran into the back of my head almost knocked my mask off! It's all shallow 25FSW max if you find the hole.

View attachment 560336

I'm waiting till I can go to RI without getting charged with a crime.

It's more of a tort, like trespassing or littering. If I were out of state a REALLY wanted to go to RI I'd rent a car with RI plates but that's just me I'm sure.

It's more of a tort, like trespassing or littering. If I were out of state a REALLY wanted to go to RI I'd rent a car with RI plates but that's just me I'm sure.

The news thing I read said it was a misdemeanor up to 90 days and 500 dollar fine.

How were you able to enter where the red dot is located on the outside of the breakwall? That's a good distance from the public parking area. Also, was it 25' deep where your red circle is drawn?

I was looking at NOAA Chart 13221 (Narragansett Bay) and it's showing 6-1/2 foot depth in the Cove?

View attachment 579955

Appreciate the insights you are sharing as it is a pretty area and it seems that now is a fine time to dive there without any boat traffic yet.

Charts are always mean low tide, not average so it's usually deeper than advertised. That red circle is a 40 year guess as I never surfaced to check so I may have been further out in the channel.

I'm looking to use a metal detector around the mooring areas so I don't care how deep it is for my purpose. The rocks on the right (north) side of the picture look promising for tropical fish during the fall; with the area being protected by the breakwater IMO it has protentional.

The breakwater area has changed quite a bit since I last dove there. There is public parking, the corral fencing near the breakwater is open during the season, but those rocks will keep me from trying to dive there these days. Now and after labor day are the times to dive there. Your welcome. Are you the DM that works/ed for Red?

The news thing I read said it was a misdemeanor up to 90 days and 500 dollar fine.

I hadn't heard the jail time but the fine I did, torts are punished by fines only so a misdemeanor it is.

I hear you on crossing over the breakwater rocks, I can imagine lots of bad happening there. The fenced parking was closed off when I visited on Wednesday, 08 April. I'd love to just enter & exit at the marina boat ramp but it is clearly marked as private.

Yes I do dive guiding with Giant Stride in the summer.

I hear you on crossing over the breakwater rocks, I can imagine lots of bad happening there. The fenced parking was closed off when I visited on Wednesday, 08 April. I'd love to just enter & exit at the marina boat ramp but it is clearly marked as private.

Yes I do dive guiding with Giant Stride in the summer.

Maybe the owner can be charmed into give a diver access?

Then we have dived together from the Argonaut II. You want a heads when I'm diving this site in the coming weeks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom