Safety Sausage and Wreck Reels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
So, here I am at 20ft, blowing into my sausage (that sounds bad), with the positive lift from the sausage, and me taking so long, I will definately develope bouyency problems.........
If you try to fully inflate it and hang on then yes you will develop buoyancy problems. However, if you inflate it partially and let the change in pressure do the rest you shouldn't have any problems.

I got a 'safety kit' online when I first started diving, and it came with, among other things, a safety sausage that was completely open-bottomed. After an incident in my Rescue course (a whole 'nother story), I was thinking about how I could shoot it from depth. I figured that if I were to put enough air in it to barely get it to rise, then tie it off and tie my spool too it, it could be done from shallow depth.

Would that work?

teknitroxdiver:
I got a 'safety kit' online when I first started diving, and it came with, among other things, a safety sausage that was completely open-bottomed. After an incident in my Rescue course (a whole 'nother story), I was thinking about how I could shoot it from depth. I figured that if I were to put enough air in it to barely get it to rise, then tie it off and tie my spool too it, it could be done from shallow depth.

Would that work?

"The Diver Surface Marker, however, is larger and has reflective tape at the top end. This model features a power inflator and over pressure valve."

It's open bottom though and will deflate if allowed to fall over on the surface. This is becoming more difficult than I anticipated.

http://www.diverite.com/products/tools/surfmark.htm

Requirements of Safety Sausage;

Fill by LP hose or Regulator (underwater)
Closed Circuit
Over Pressure Valve
Reflective Strip
Attachment options for slate or wet note

Me thinks, I don't think you can get a "closed circuit" device, unless you fill it with a LP hose/Mouth.........hmmm.

GoBlue!:
perpet1- where do you keep the 9' OMS? I've read that some keep it in a MC storage pak, but I'm not sure if I can buy one of those separate & if it would fit on my Oxycheq & FredT backplates....

jim
OxyCheq has SMBs and SMB pockets that fit right onto the bottom of the OxyCheq backplate - and probably the FredT as well. The SMBs are semi-closed, so you can inflate using your second stage or exhaust bubbles, and are designed to be deployed at depth.

If anyone is going for the Manta Jr reel, get the cave cam for another $20 - it's worth it.

GoBlue!:
perpet1- where do you keep the 9' OMS? I've read that some keep it in a MC storage pak, but I'm not sure if I can buy one of those separate & if it would fit on my Oxycheq & FredT backplates....

jim
You can buy a MC storage pack separately, and it fits on a FredT backplate. I know from personal experience.

ShakaZulu:
"The Diver Surface Marker, however, is larger and has reflective tape at the top end. This model features a power inflator and over pressure valve."

It's open bottom though and will deflate if allowed to fall over on the surface. This is becoming more difficult than I anticipated.

Closed Circuit
Over Pressure Valve
Reflective Strip

Me thinks, I don't think you can get a "closed circuit" device, unless you fill it with a LP hose/Mouth.........hmmm.

So....I'm confused. I would think it would be easier to use your octo to inflate one of the SMB's with a semi-open bottom and just maintain some tension on the line to keep it from escaping at the surface. Is this correct? I wouldn't want to be disconnecting my lp hose in a heavy current, etc... But I admit that I know nothing about this!

I own several different configurations of these.
My favorite and go to set up is a 100' halcyon spool and their standard sausage.
Shooting a bag is a good skill for your for your bag of tricks.
Manual inflation is no problemo.

Is there a safty sausage that has a big sign on it saying, "Warning surfacing equipment will destroy your boat, You Have Been Warned!!!"

I recently bought a spool from here http://www.cnsales.net/spoolspage.htm for the grand sum of $20 (only downside is that the boltsnap is brass,not SS )

I have the small Halcyon sausage,it can be easily inflated by mouth. Inflating one of the larger closed circuit Halcyon bags using the low pressure BC inflator is easy enough when practising,but I have my doubts about disconnecting my inflator in a real i.e. stressful emergency

ShakaZulu:

Closed Circuit
Over Pressure Valve
Reflective Strip

Shaka,

The Marker from Dive Rite can be filled at depth by any one or any combination of the following methods...

From you blowing into the small inflator tube (probably not the best way while at depth)
From you putting a low pressure inflator hose on to the fitting (this is the type of fitting on a dry suit or a BC inflator, bye the way, the fitting will not lock on to the bag. It just slides on and starts filling, when you let go it slides off. This is a better way to fill a bag.)
From you getting bubbles to ascend up into the open bottom of the bag. (you can exhale air from your lungs, use the dump on the end of your BC inflator hose or use either your primary second stage or your octopus. These are also very commonly used ways to fill a bag at depth.)

The Marker bag does have reflective tape at the end that sticks out of the water.
The Marker bag does have a pressure relief valve to keep it from bursting as the air in the bag expands.
The Marker bag does have a "D" ring on the end (where the reflective tape is) for you to attach what ever you like, such as a slate or small light/strobe, so long as it is not so heavy as to cause the bag to sink rather than rise to the surface.
The Marker bag does have an open bottom with an internal funnel to keep the bag inflated even if the bag flops over at the surface.
The Marker bag does have a stainless steel "D" ring at the bottom for you to connect the line on your spool to.

In response to your "closed circuit" comment, the internal funnel solves that problem for you. This (and other similar bags) has both an open bottom and the ability to fill up and get pressurized and hold its shape even if you completely remove it from the water and hold it in your hand hanging it by the d ring.

There are other bags that have most if not all of these features, OMS comes to mind. I have not seen the Halcyon bag, so I am not equiped to provide any advice on it.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom