Expertise Needed: Lift bag & safety sausage mounted on BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the idea of having fewer doohickeys and whizbangs on the DSMB. The main complaint I have heard about the open-bottom bags is that the tend to leak air or take on once they reach the surface, and once they do, they fall down. I've never tried an open-bottom one though. Have you found this to be the case with yours?

I haven't really had that problem. I mean, they don't go shooting out of the water when you launch it from depth. You do have to keep some tension on the line to keep the bottom submerged, but a few seconds as you're fiddling with something else isn't going to do it. There is still the weight of the clip to keep the bottom facing down.

Once you are at the surface, if you need to keep it filled, it is a bit more of a pain than a closed one, but still not horrible. I'll trade that for ease of stowing.

Where is isn't good is if you need it for surface floatation. You aren't going to inflate it and give it to a struggling diver or swimmer, wrong tool for that job.

I never said I have an issue distinguishing between colors. But when the rubber meets the road, I don't have to even look. 1, I am fine. 2, send help. They could be any color of the rainbow.

What if I gave you an orange and a red. At depth in NJ waters do you think you could reliably tell me the difference without a light? Brand new maybe, but not after a season and some sun fading. If I dove in clear water I might use a color scheme. But I don't have that luxury in my area.

What works for you doesn't necessarily work for me or the next guy. I'm sure you have adapted mannerisms that I would abhor, vice versa. Just giving an example to the op. Non of us here would have half our knowledge if people didn't share tips and tricks along the way.

Who said anything about orange and red? The vast majority are orange = normal, yellow = emergency. If you have time and gas (probably the most important limiting factor especially for a single tank diver anyway) then shoot both.

Put the other one in your thigh pocket although carrying different shapes to mean different things is kind of silly. Colors are a better identifier. And you can get orange and yellow safety sausages which actually stick up and are visible from a distance - unlike a lift bag.

Being required to muck about with SMBs twice as much in an emergency compared to what you normally do is imprudent.

You seem REALLY set on putting these things on your (single) tank.

This was designed for what you want to do and doesnt get in the way of doubles, argon bottles, light canisters or anything else. I holds 1 large lift bag or sausage and it won't come loose or get snagged on anything swimming on or through the wreck.
Halcyon Dive Systems

Put the other one in your thigh pocket although carrying different shapes to mean different things is kind of silly. Colors are a better identifier. And you can get orange and yellow safety sausages which actually stick up and are visible from a distance - unlike a lift bag.

Oh great stuff, thank you!

I got so carried away by this idea that I forgot my left side drysuit pocket is empty 99% of the time....

Back
Top Bottom