Expertise Needed: Lift bag & safety sausage mounted on BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharlieDontDive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for some advice regarding mounting a safety sausage & lift bag to my Halcyon BP&W.

I was recently on a charter boat diving a wreck of NJ. During the dive, a buddy pair completely lost the wreck so, unable to find it again, they used a safety sausage + reel to make a safe ascent. It wasn't an emergency of any sort, but the sight of a red SS popping to the surface understandably threw the crew into "oh sh*t" mode for a minute. During the ride back to the marina, a discussion began about use of safety sausages & lift bags. The boat's divemaster recommended that all divers should carry both items: the lift bag to use as a surface marker for an unplanned (but non-emergency) ascent, and the safety sausage for an emergency-type ascent. Both utilizing a reel, obviously.

The divemaster who made this recommendation then showed us his BP&W and I immediately thought "oh wow, that's awesome. His setup was like so:

• Safety sausage mounted on insight right of his BP&W
  • Lift bag mounted on insight left of his BP&W
  • Picture for reference, red circles are roughy where he had each mounted
The purpose is to have both items ready for quick deployment: a diver only needs to reach slightly behind him to either the right or left, depending on which one he needs. Both of this guy;s LB & SS seemed compact & unobtrusive (to my recollection), and their positioned was such that they did not interfere with any other gear. I want to say each one was in some sort of bag or compression sack with the opening facing downward, but...I may be remembering that inaccurately.

I wish I'd gotten the guy's name to pick his brain further, or at least snapped a pic of his rig. But, alas.Tried contacting the charter but no luck yet.

So, my inquiries for you, dear reader:
  • Are you familiar with this type of setup?
  • How exactly would I go about replicating the DM's setup?
  • How should I mount these items in the locations described?
  • Any recommendations for a specific brand/model of SS & lift bag?
  • Would this setup have included a small reel with each item, or should I keep a single reel separately for use with either?
  • If you are NOT familiar with this type of setup: any advice on how to make the SS & lift bag a part of my kit? Currently I dive with a safety sausage and reel clipped to my BC. It's rather intrusive and gets in the way when I reach for my camera or dump air from my BC.
Thanks for reading! Cheers.

I keep my lift bag and 1 finger spool in my right pocket and a back up lift big in the stuff pouch of the BP cover with a secondary spool clipped to the butt D ring.

I deploy the bag from the pocket as it’s easier to put it back once on the surface.

I have a dry suit bottle on the left side of the plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom