Wetsuit Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpg

New
Reaction score
I am a new diver; my husband and I just got OW certified a month ago, and we are going on to get our AOW certification in a couple weeks. We rented everything for OW certification, and are now looking to purchase wetsuits, booties, and fins (we have already purchased masks and snorkels).

During OW, I wore a 5mm wetsuit with booties but no gloves or hood in 80 degree water, and I was comfortable. Given that most of our diving will either be local (Houston area) or in the Caribbean, I've decided to purchase a 5mm, as I think it unlikely I will be too warm in the Caribbean (I run cold). I have been looking at buying an inexpensive suit to begin, since I am not sure now how frequently we will be diving (I am hoping more frequently once we only need to rent BCD and tanks). So, I have been looking at these suits:
NeoSports 5mm Jumpsuit
NeoSports 5mm XSPan Full Jumpsuit
Cressi Castoro 5mm Jumpsuit

I am petite (5' 2" with a short torso), and in street clothing, I typically wear a size 2/XS. I wore an XS (I suspect it was unisex sizing) wetsuit for OW, and it was quite big in the waist and too long in the torso. For the NeoSport size charts, my height and waist fit the smallest size, but my hips and bust are bigger (although I have slender shoulders, so I am figuring the top part should be fine); the Cressi XS is exactly right, but both have the smallest size aimed at someone taller (i.e., 5' 4"+). So...any fit suggestions for which of those suits would be the best? Do either of them run small or large? Or suggestions based on quality?

Amazon has some hot deals on the discontinued Henderson H2 suits, which are a really nice, stretchy neoprene. Might be worth a look.

If you have an opportunity to try them on, do so.

I personally dive the NeoSport Jumpsuits you have listed there. I have in 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm.

Since I'm shorter than the suit is made for, I roll up the ankles and wrists ever so about 2-3" to ensure a good fit. Not perfect, but it lays flat.

There may be some informed opinions out there but the surefire test is to get into shops to try suits on. With all the variation of the human form size charts are just rough guidelines. Sizes and cuts range between manufacturers and even between models of a brand. Here is some nformation on evaluating fit.

From what you describe the 5mm is a good start. it can be augmented with a hood, hooded vest, booties and gloves. All of the accessories can complement a 3 or 7mm suit if you decide on more or less for certain conditions. Don't try too hard to make one suit the suit for all conditions, it's not how it usually works out. You are probably heading for a neoprene wardrobe.

Pete

Definitely try them on. I wetsuit-shopped forever looking for the best fit. Not all online size charts are correct or true to real life variations in body types.

FWIW, I ended up with the Henderson H2 because it fit perfectly and was very comfortable (the 7mm version for diving in California).

As everyone had already said, fit is soooo important. I live in the UK and I've struggled to find a Henderson supplier, but I've found the best girl-fit wetsuits are Waterproof. They make several different sizes, short to tall in addition to the usual SML and are lovely suits. I have a 3 and 5mm.

Good luck!

First, welcome to diving!

Second, 5mm sounds like a good choice for the water temperature in which you'll be diving. You'll be able to do nice long dive if you are comfortable.

It can be a challenge for women who are not the average size to find scuba gear that fits properly. (I'm a tall woman, and it wasn't until a couple of year ago did they start making tall wetsuits) However, you enjoy your dive much more when your gear fits you, so take some time to try stuff on.

If you can't find an adult wetsuit that fits well, consider trying a Jr. size. It might fit better. Henderson 5mm Juniors Thermoprene Wetsuit A850JB with reviews at scuba.com

Have fun!

Depending on where you are in Houston, I would visit the shops and try on every wetsuit that you can. I am normally hot and dive in Neo Sport 1.5mm shorts no shirt. I have no issues with the thermoclines. I do own a 3mm wetsuit though just in case. I am a L/short which not alot of companies sell. I tried on as many as I could but locally all of them were more than I wanted to spend. I ended up ordering them online from LeisurePro and offered me free returns, I bought 4 that were my size and picked the one that fit me the best. Bare Velocity 3/2

A wetsuit is something that I would never buy online, go to as many dive shops and try on as many as you can until you find one that fits and that is the one you buy whatever the brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom