Bought DSS, now configure DSS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I bought the backplate/wing :)

Now the real questions start

I am planning on buying pouches for the harness
Maybe two or three of these
OMS Compact Weight Pocket

I want to put weights in two of them and have the third for carrying what ever else I might need like the safety sausage, but I am thinking it might be too big. I don't think I need alot of storage space at this point so I will probably not go for any huge bags. I will have two torches and those fasten to the harness, whistle probably to harness, slate to harness, safety sausage somewhere else, probably the third bag. I am wondering if this might be big enough for the safety sausage OMS Utility Accessory Pouch (BCA-266)

I am thinking I can attach two to the waist band. Not sure how uncomfortable it is to attach pouches like these to the shoulder straps. I am wondering if I can attach one behind me just below the plate, but I don't want it bumping against my bum the whole time

If I attach the slate to one of the rings it is just going to hang there. Not sure what to do about it hanging. Also the whistle (SOL Rescue Howler Whistle (2 pack)) I have I can attach to a ring, but it doesn't have a lanyard so I will have to bend my head to get to it or get a lanyard for it or maybe put it in a bag

I have the dss too, my safety sausage has a whistle on it
looks like this:
IMG_928.jpg
and i attached it to the actual backplate itself through one of the many holes on it.
if i need to use the ss or whistle i can just reach behind and unhook it. it hangs there and hasnt been a problem to me, yet.

you may be better off having a weight pocket belt, i use this too and goes on before putting harness on and the spare pockets can be used to store small items, you could fit a ss and whistle into one probably.

the slate hanging off one of the D-rings is fine too.

For the pockets, I personally think the OMS are over priced. these XS Scuba Single Tank Weight Pocket are half the price and work fine. BUT I don't think they'd work great as a general use pocket - there are gaps in the sides - fine for big things like a weight though

Before you buy weight pockets though, you may want to see how much weight you actually need to carry - don't know if you went with a steel or Kydex plate but you may require little to no weight depending on what you wear for exposure protection.

Can't comment on the pocket

For the whistle, tie a bit of cave line to the split ring and you've got a lanyard. On the assumption you'll be getting an SMB and spool you can just take a foot or so off the spool.

Another side note - you may not want to buy all the accessories you THINK you need before you actually do a few dives. I bought a bunch of stuff I thought I needed and it sits in a box

I caution you about adding pockets to the BP/W itself.

Avoid the clutter by using thigh pockets, either glued on or via shorts (e.g., X-shorts), for gear. Use a weight belt ( or harness) for weight

You'll have less hassle donning and doffing, better hydrodynamics and an easier time actually getting to your gear.

With DSS you even have the weights that attach to the backplate. I also recommend attaching the pockets to your exposure suit.

With DSS you even have the weights that attach to the backplate. I also recommend attaching the pockets to your exposure suit.
+ 1.
Also dive the rig first see what need. If you are looking to have some ditchable weight, you are much better off with a belt. Don't try to turn the thing into a jacket bc. You will be much happier keeping it clean.

Gluing pockets to wetsuits is easy. I have done at least 5. I learned and got better as I went. I posted some instructions on here somewhere.

So I bought the backplate/wing :)

Now the real questions start

I am planning on buying pouches for the harness
Maybe two or three of these
OMS Compact Weight Pocket

I want to put weights in two of them and have the third for carrying what ever else I might need like the safety sausage, but I am thinking it might be too big. I don't think I need alot of storage space at this point so I will probably not go for any huge bags. I will have two torches and those fasten to the harness, whistle probably to harness, slate to harness, safety sausage somewhere else, probably the third bag. I am wondering if this might be big enough for the safety sausage OMS Utility Accessory Pouch (BCA-266)

I am thinking I can attach two to the waist band. Not sure how uncomfortable it is to attach pouches like these to the shoulder straps. I am wondering if I can attach one behind me just below the plate, but I don't want it bumping against my bum the whole time

If I attach the slate to one of the rings it is just going to hang there. Not sure what to do about it hanging. Also the whistle (SOL Rescue Howler Whistle (2 pack)) I have I can attach to a ring, but it doesn't have a lanyard so I will have to bend my head to get to it or get a lanyard for it or maybe put it in a bag

As others have already advised you, resist the temptation to turn your new BP&W into a conventional BC by adding a bunch of items to it.

One of the main attractions of a BP&W is that it is a streamlined minimalist rig, adding a bunch of accessories runs the risk of losing some of those advantages.

Avoid hanging 100% of your ballast on your rig via pouches / pockets / etc. Before you buy *anything* do a careful weight check to determine how much ballast you actually need with your new gear.

For typical single cylinders and buoyant exposure suits, 5mm and thicker or dry suits I suggest adjusting your ballast until you are eye level at the surface with no gas in your wing and a full cylinder.

I recommend carrying ballast on your person (on a weight belt) at least equal to the weight of the gas in your cylinder. That's typically 6-8 lbs. Virtually any diver can carry 6-8 lbs on belt without problems.

Consider carefully what you actually need to take with you diving, and you will likely find that it all can either be clipped off to the harness or fits easily in thigh pockets / x shorts.

Tobin

Thank you everybody. I will listen and first dive with the rig and see how things go from there

I had a look now at finding a safety pack like the one in this thread so that I can attach it to the backplate

This is the closest I could find
Akona Safety Tube Hi-Viz Yellow

If I can get a safety sausage I can attach to the backplate I can give my girlfriend that other one to put in her BC or maybe give it back to the shop since it hasn't been opened yet

i love pockets, got them installed on every wetsuit and drysuit i own. Hands down beats either storing items on the bc or clipped where they can drop off or snag on things.

Back
Top Bottom