Safety of Nitrox for Junior Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had my 15 yr old diving 130 on this trip a year ago. Lately, I have been considering if it might be worth the trouble to get him the AOW.

I'm with you! I have no problem with taking my son deeper than the recommendations, but there isn't much to see deeper than 75' in the lakes we usually dive in. When we get to dive somewhere where there's a reason to go deeper, we do--maybe... My 'rule of thumb' has always been, "What are we both comfortable doing?"

It would be nice to have some data to go on when deciding what dives, depths, gasses, etc are safe and appropriate for junior divers, but I can't see any reputable organization doing studies on kids and tracking which ones have negative outcomes! :) for the most part, I try to keep us within recommended limits, but I don't blindly adhere to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a possible higher sensitivity to high O2 PP worries you, there is certainly no reason you can't calculate MOD using a max O2 PP of 1.2 or 1.0 instead of 1.4.

I consider 1.6 to have been calculated for young, exceptionally fit and relatively young navy divers; I've never been and will never be comparable to a 1.6 guy, so I use max O2 PP 1.4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom