Safe Second Inflators vs Octopus Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8ful divr:
I am considering an Atomic SS1 Safe Second Inflator versus a more conventional Atomic octupus reg. The SS1 is more streamlined while the octupus is more conventional. What are the pros and cons of each choice?

If you are using a save second...make sure that you do not have your Dive Alert in-line...

Get whatever works best for you but I think the streamlining argument is a bit off. Think of what your profile is in the water compared to something that is designed to be there like a tuna or a dolfin. You look like a school bus compared to a Porche. Removing that extra hose is like taking the mirrors off of the bus - not going to make much of a difference, you're still a big yellow bus.

PaulChristenson:
If you are using a save second...make sure that you do not have your Dive Alert in-line...
Why? IIRC, Ideations makes a couple different versions of the Dive Alert with the different sized quick disconnects, specifically to work with the different inflator/octo combo devices.

I think he is more worried about the flow rate through them. Perhaps the channel narrows inside the dive alert. Anyone have any info on this? Unless someone does, I would recommend stowing the dive alert in the pocket and deploying it on the surface as needed.

My boyfriend and I both have an Air II type safe second. You don't have to take the regulator out of your mouth to dump air. On my BC Seaquest Libra there are 2 additional dumping points. The right shoulder is very easy to find. We have practiced air sharing a lot in the pool and we both feel quite comfortable with it. Recreational diving is all I want to do and the Air II is more than adequate for that. It's easy to find, I know it's not flopping back somewhere behind me and it breathes more than adequately. You will have a lot of folks say the are dangerous, but they never say why or quote those situations where they used and Air II and it did not work properly. I second the folks who said to try it and see if it's for you.

bradshsi:
If your octo keeps comming off, you could try to find a different (more secure) holder.

IOther than that dare I suggest the longer primary hose and the octo bungied around your neck ?

If you won't suggest it, I will - went to it a year ago and wish I had done it sooner.:D

superstar:
It is also not a problem to pull it out of your mouth to hold it high over your head to vent air and then stick it back in your mouth.

Just what I need in a stessed situation while trying to keep contact with a diver in distress.

I don't know about everyone else, but I haven't put my auto inflater over my head to dump air since I got my new BCD. It has 3 dump points that don't require you to lift anything over your head. One at right shoulder, one at right hip and one where you can lightly pull down on the auto inflater house. We have practiced numerous ways to dump air while using the safe second to breathe. It's just not a big deal if you practice with it.

laurelgsc:
I don't know about everyone else, but I haven't put my auto inflater over my head to dump air since I got my new BCD. It has 3 dump points that don't require you to lift anything over your head. One at right shoulder, one at right hip and one where you can lightly pull down on the auto inflater house. We have practiced numerous ways to dump air while using the safe second to breathe. It's just not a big deal if you practice with it.

In an OOG emergency, I was taught that with the configuration you are speaking about, I was to donate my primary and using my right hand, securely grasp my buddy's harness. If I am holding my buddy with my right hand, that takes the right shoulder and right hip dump valves out of the equation.

If you grasp your buddy with your left hand, that might work. Up until the point that you decide you need to add a little gas in your wing. (Remember that your buddy is out of gas and may not have enough air in their wing to maintain neutral. Swimming up is of course an option but then the whole notion of balanced rig, another contetious topic, comes into play.)

I agree with you. Everyone should try different configurations to see what works best for them. Have you tried hanging an octopus (or backup regulator) using a bungee around your neck? You might be surprised to find that it is actually easier than any other gear configuration out there. There is never a question as to where your back up is when you need it. And, you wind up using your inflator/deflator exactly the way you normally would use it durning a non emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom