Safe Second Inflators vs Octopus Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8ful divr

Reaction score
I am considering an Atomic SS1 Safe Second Inflator versus a more conventional Atomic octupus reg. The SS1 is more streamlined while the octupus is more conventional. What are the pros and cons of each choice?

The big downside on the combo inflator/reg devices is the awkwardness of using it to control your buoyancy while breathing of of it while sharing air with a buddy. You and/or your buddy may already be stressed from whatever happened to make him go out-of-air, and you don't need any additional stress or difficulties while making the ascent.

Some inflator/reg combos have a bad reputation for reliability, or ease of breathing, or difficulting in servicing and adjusting.

The advantage is improved streamlining through getting rid of one hose. Some people also feel that having the backup reg on the inflator hose makes is easier to locate in an emergency.

I recommend that you rent or borrow a BCD with combo inflator/octo and do a few practice ascents while breathing from the inflator octo before you go and buy one.

It is a personal choice. But if you go with the Air2, have a plan an practice how you are going to control your buoancy while the Air2 is in your mouth and you are breathing off it. It can be done, but you need to think about how you are going to do in now before you need it.

I once asked a diver with an Air2 how he was going to control his ascent while breathing off his Air2. Eyes got real big, clearly he had never thought of it. I know another diver who had to use his in an emergency, sold it the next day.

No one answer to this, just what is right for you. Rent one, use it and do a practice ascent with a buddy and see how it goes.

I don't really see why the Safe Second would be an issue with regard to having different diving buddies. If the buddy always knows that he will be receiving the reg in your mouth then I don't see why it would matter to him what you were going to ultimately begin breathing on. Regarding breathing off the Safe Second while ascending it seemed in the store like there was plenty of stretch in the hose for it to get to your mouth without restricting side-to-side head movement. I'll check this out again though. Regarding breathing out of the same piece of gear that you control bouyancy with, I don't see that as being too much of an issue since (a) it is the set up you will be used to and (b) the buttons (at least on the Atomic SS1) are plenty big and well space to handle all tasks.

I'm not 100% sold one way or the other so any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

gr8ful divr:
Regarding breathing out of the same piece of gear that you control bouyancy with, I don't see that as being too much of an issue since (a) it is the set up you will be used to and (b) the buttons (at least on the Atomic SS1) are plenty big and well space to handle all tasks.

As other have said everyone comes to their own right choice.

To the quote above. It will make a difference if you use you inflator to precisely dump air as you ascend. you won't be holding it high to vent cleanly while it's in your mouth. Also I can't see you having it in the same positional grasp to utilize your normal diving reflexes. More than anyting it becomes annother set of skills to keep sharp on.

Pete

Thanks Spectrum. That was a good point I hadn't thought of. I guess my main concern with the octopus in class was that it would occasionally come unclipped from my BC. In an air sharing emergency not being able to find my backup reg would be problematic. I was thinking that in that unlikely event just knowing where the second was would be important. Besides if you are in that situation you are going to surface immediately and as long as you practice ascents with the safe 2nd you should be okay, at least that is what I gather.

I have an Air-2 and and love it, It breathes quite well and I don't have any problems at all with dumping air from it. It is also not a problem to pull it out of your mouth to hold it high over your head to vent air and then stick it back in your mouth.

If your octo keeps comming off, you could try to find a different (more secure) holder.

I have heard of some divers using a stainless steel spring clip attached to the octo and then clipped off to a D ring. However this has the disadvantage that you need to unclip it to deploy during an emergency.

Other than that dare I suggest the longer primary hose and the octo bungied around your neck ?

Sold my Air2 and run a bungy backup , it took me 1.5 years to figure out how unsafe the Air2 is .

Back
Top Bottom