S90 + Ikelite housing : First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the difference between an Ikelite housing and the WP-DC35 is about $100

and the cost of the adaptor is about $100

If you have the choice, do you go for the Ike?

So the difference between an Ikelite housing and the WP-DC35 is about $100

and the cost of the adaptor is about $100

If you have the choice, do you go for the Ike?

Ordinarily I'd say go with Ikelite in a heartbeat, but there are some unusual issues going on here, so I'd say it depends on your planned use for the camera (and planned dive depths, if you exceed rec limits).

If you plan to exceed the Canon's depth rating (130'), you're definitely better off the with the Ike.

If you tend to abuse your housings, the sturdier plastic of the Ike may be a better choice.

However, if you do NOT plan to buy add on lenses (use only the camera and internal flash by itself), I think the Canon might be a better choice... the Ike diffuser is pretty pathetic and the lens tube shadow will be huge.

If you DO plan to buy add-on lenses, if you have a lens in mind, the how well the specific lens works with each of the two housings may determine your final choice... it's possible one will work better than the other, for each given lens possibility.

And finally, there are ergonomics to consider. Frankly, I'm pretty sure Canon's ergonomics beat the Ikelite's. I am very impressed with how the controls mesh with the various dials. The mode control dial work perfectly, and has good tactile response. Ditto for the front control ring knob. I actually think I like the left side placement of the Canon better than the Ikelite's front right placement. (BUT, if you have a handle and tray for external strobes, maybe it's easier to access the Ikelite knob, because all controls are on the right?)

I think the Ikelite housing is pretty useless if you actually want to use the internal strobe, even just occasionally. While I haven't taken it underwater yet, based on looking over the housing, and past experience with Canon housings, I strongly suspect the Canon housing will do MUCH better in this regard. (OTOH, if you will only ever use an external strobe with your camera, this probably doesn't matter.)

I wish was a clear answer for everyone, but I don't think there is.

did you have a chance to see if (or how bad) the shadow from the lens port would be for non-strobe macro shots ? (without the need to zoom)

No, but I'll be taking some photos of the camera and housing (and some test shots, on land, at least), hopefully this evening.

And finally, there are ergonomics to consider. Frankly, I'm pretty sure Canon's ergonomics beat the Ikelite's.

Apparently the zoom command on the Ike case is crap, as in other Ikelites there is no return spring to put it back into the neutral position, but this time it's practically impossible to see or feel when it is back to neutral so users on one of the French-speaking forums had to make a tipp-ex mark on the command to be able to deal with it...

Do those who have it confirm that ?

Apparently the zoom command on the Ike case is crap, as in other Ikelites there is no return spring to put it back into the neutral position, but this time it's practically impossible to see or feel when it is back to neutral so users on one of the French-speaking forums had to make a tipp-ex mark on the command to be able to deal with it...

If the S90 Ike housing is anything like previous Ike housings then that would be correct. There is no return spring for the zoom control. Its not a big issue in any way and you will immediately know if the zoom is still depressed because the camera will cease to take commands.

Last edited:
Thank you Frank,

The zoom control is apparently an issue because it has to be very precisely positioned, and it is very dificult to find the precise position in order to be able to take photos. The issue is not figuring out what's going on but avoiding it.

My question was addressed to those who actually used the case and could confirm or infirm that...

Last edited:
How is it more or less difficult then other housings to find the precise position? I'm assuming its the same Ikelite zoom control as found on my G10. Which from all the photo's I've seen confirms this. What I've done with my G10 is after zooming in or out, just slightly turn the knob in the opposite direction to release the pressure put on the zoom dial. This should work just fine with the S90 as well.

Last edited:

Interesting. I didn't know that about the Ike case, although I agree it makes sense based on the Ike housing I have for my older camera. That was easy to visually see the little arm that was in the up or down position, however, since the control was on the back of the camera. That would indeed be more difficult with the control on the front.

This is not an issue with Canon case. The control is spring-loaded to return to center.

I'm taking a series of photos tonight of the Canon case, with the camera in it and without. (on land, no UW shots... I may end up returning this housing still, I haven't come to a final decision just yet)

How is it more or less difficult then other housings to find the precise position? I'm assuming its the same Ikelite zoom control as found on my G10. Which from all the photo's I've seen confirms this. What I've done with my G10 is after zooming in or out, just slightly turn the knob in the opposite direction to release the pressure put on the zoom dial. This should work just fine with the S90 as well.

Also, I wouldn't say that the French have any problem diving or taking photos. Actually, I dive with a French regulator "Aqualung Legend" and was originally inspired by a Frenchman to start my own explorations into the ocean "Cousteau". French, American, Italian... doesn't matter what nationality...if you have a problem using the zoom control on any Ike housing, you should rethink any type of task loading while diving. I apologize if you took offense.

No offense and post edited too, sorry for reacting so quickly.

Well, I was surprised too when the guy on the French-speaking board told me that the zoom control not returning to the center position was a big problem for him and that he had to make a tipp-ex mark on it...

My first reaction was to tell him "OK, that's the case in all Ikelite cases, you just have to put it back, after 3 or 4 times getting stuck you'll get used to it, etc...
I thought he had to deal with something similar to the zoom control on my A620 ike case :

zooma620.jpg

It's not hard to have it in the right position : first you can feel it, second you can see it through the case, and the neutral position is wide enough not to be mistaken so even if you miss a few shots sometimes that's no big trouble...

However, it doesn't seem to be that wide and easy on the S90 case, if you look at pics of the camera and pics of the rig you can see why he says that a millimeter precision is requiered not to zoom in or out... The Ike control just fits precisely the zoom control on the camera, there is no extra space at all... So I understand why he complains and why he did that... (NB : This guy is an experienced diver - instructor - and he has been taking photos with a G9 & YS110a for a few years so I don't think he is "dumber" than the average diver / amateur photographer)

powershots90.jpg

zooms90.jpg

Last edited:
The zoom control of the Ike housing as far as I did try with the housing I had in hand ( Ike for S90 of course ) know really to position 28 and 105 , it was absolutely impossible for me to stop it between .:shakehead: Except of course using the front ring which allow intermediate positions .
I have small hands , I was not underwater and I did not had gloves :depressed:
Anyway the 28 mm is the favorite for most photographer ..:)

Back
Top Bottom