S90 + Ikelite housing : First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stu_in_fl

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
newly land-locked in Cinci-freaking-natti
# of dives
for some of the better photos of the day - go to this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/312948-s90-pics.html

This was my first trip out with the camera - and I'd only taken a dozen or so pics on land before hand, so this was a bit of a learning experience. My previous camera was the Canon S80 (with Ikelite housing).

I deliberately went out with no strobe to see how it worked just with the on board flash - my main concern was how to get close up pics without having the port cast a shadow (and without NEEDING the external strobe). This was not an issue with my old S80 as the port didn't protrude but I had heard it was an issue with the G series cameras. Although I own a strobe, for travelling I often travel without one.

First : here is the camera and housing. Extremely compact compared to my last one.
s90_ike.jpg

as you can see there is a little "ring" that goes around the cameras control ring - this allows you to turn it using the control you see to the right of the lens port on the housing.
NOTE: If you put it on backwards it does not allow you to turn the control ring (it slips), but correctly fitted it works well ! (so test that you have it on correctly before diving :) )

The control ring easily lets you change the appeture in Av mode or Shutter Speed in Tv mode.
If you are in Manual or Custom Mode, you can use this in conjuntion with the Ring func button to set Appeture, Shutter Speed, ISo, WB etc. (but you need to read the manual before diving so you know how to do it!)

One of the things I never had to contend with on the S80 was the shadow caused by the port blocking the flash. Adding the diffuser reduced this, but it is still visible unless you zoom a little. Luckily it seemed to remember the "zoom" and each time i woke the camera up from its power saving it returned to how i had set it. It did mean I had to check my pics a little more often and reshoot a couple.

for example, on the following pic you can see the shadow:
exIMG_0121.jpg

but after a little zoom and recomposition:
exIMG_0122.jpg

here is another example, quite marked shadow:
exIMG_0101.jpg

but recomposed, zoomed a little (only a very small amount of zoom needed) and the macro setting selected, came the following quite pleasing result:
exIMG_0100.jpg

The first pics I tried with the C and M mode which I had setup beforehand. This was reasonably unsuccessful and the pics were very dark , so switched to Av mode and had similarly crap results. While getting frustrated (the first 20 pics were deleted straight off the bat), switched to Tv mode with 1/100th, and BAM - started to get some good shots and was no longer frustrated !! The focus and shooting speed is so much better than my old camera.

Of course I didn't have the manual with me and didn't want to open the housing on the boat, so spent the rest of the day happily shooting in Tv mode. I believe I had the Iso set to 100 on the other modes and on ISO 80 on Tv which made quite a bit of difference.

The one thing I need to get used to - it seems difficult to use the on/off button. not sure if it is just how the camera is or just me needing to get used to it or if it was a feature of the "power saving". I found i really had to push down the button and on one of the dives this didn't seem to work. I ended up finding a "work around" by pressing the "image playback" button to "wake the camera up" and then press the shutter and it would start to work. Probably I just need to get the manual out or play a bit more to see what really is going on and what i need to press.

For the really low light shots (without flash at depth) the camera IS thing seemed to work pretty well and got a couple of reasonable jewfish shots at 1/15th and 1/30th sec. although at 1/6 it was a little blurred !

I also had thought I'd set up the camera for RAW (so i could see how the post processing setting of WB worked), but found in fact I hadn't (just the big jpgs), so can't comment on that. After realizing, i then set it up on land and found that I needed to upgrade Lightroom from 2.4 to 2.6 (it's a free upgrade) to use the S90 raw format, and that i can't display the RAWs on my windows explorer as canon haven't released the codec yet (and an annoying pop-up offers to take you to the canon website to download a codec that doesn't include the S90 or 7D raw format !) - funny that Adobe created one for their products and Canon didn't do one yet !!

So after a few shaky shots at the start (where I swore I'd take my old camera on my trip next week), I really like the camera and think it has a lot of potential. .. and since getting back i've looked up how to set and change of few of the things that frustrated me ! (and I'll take the manual with me on the trip :) )

The shadow is probably the result of Ikelite, thoughtfully and smartly, providing the 67mm port that can accept wet lenses. If they had gone with a 46mm port as on some of their housings this shadowing might have been reduced.

You say you have to open the case on the boat to make adjustments, wow, if that is so, hmmm, not interested in that. So you are saying that all modes/setting adjustments are not accessible without opening the housing?

It does look good, like the ring gear thing, hope you enjoy the new outfit.

N

Thanks a lot for the info, Stu. I have the same setup, but haven't had a chance to get mine underwater yet. All the functions seem to be accessible in the housing by working around a little bit. I still can't get my Sea and Sea YS 110 strobe to synch properly, and I'm going to try the Inon S2000--just ordered it from reefphoto. Will post some pics as soon as I get a chance!

Mel

Stu, thanks for the really helpful post.

I noticed in the last photo you managed to get a nearly black background in Macro. I have been trying to get this on land, with no success.

From your posts I understand that you used Tv at 1/100th. What strength did you have your flash setting?

Stu,

Many thanks for the review. As a S70 & S80 user i was very interested in the new S model. When it was first announced i was 100% sure i was going to get one. Now i am only 50/50.
I am still using the S80 (with Inon UWL&dome) for wide angle & G9 for macro.

I had a little play with the S90 in a camera shop today and i was a little dissapointed.

For the 5 mins i had it, it is possible to change shutter speed & Apperture when using manual mode. It just involves a few button presses and the use of the front control ring.
One good point is that the front ring can be used to control manual focus.

Underwater the S80 & S70 is much easier to use in this respect.
I also think the camera is a bit on the small side. A lot of the buttons are very close together and the rear control ring is small.

My biggest fear is that most of the key buttons/ring control are not ideally placed.
i.e the ring function button is on the top and towars the middle of the camera.
Also the front ring is quite stiff to operate so i am not sure how easy this would be to operate
The ergonomics are not great IMHO.

(Having a shortcut button on the left hand side would have been a big benefit)

Anyway i have decided to stick with the S80 until i see some more positive reviews,expecially regarding wet lens compatibality.
Any news on the S100:D

K

Last edited:
The shadow is probably the result of Ikelite, thoughtfully and smartly, providing the 67mm port that can accept wet lenses. If they had gone with a 46mm port as on some of their housings this shadowing might have been reduced.

You say you have to open the case on the boat to make adjustments, wow, if that is so, hmmm, not interested in that. So you are saying that all modes/setting adjustments are not accessible without opening the housing?

It does look good, like the ring gear thing, hope you enjoy the new outfit.

N
- yes, I missed that in my post. The port is perhaps bigger than it needs to be as it has the thread for the Ikelite wet lens (screw in). I unfortunately have bayonet mount Inon wet lenses and these do not work. It would have been nicer (for me) to have a smaller port and maybe an add on adapter for the wet lens (this is how it worked on the S80).

You can make adjustments when the camera is in the housing (if you've read the manual !) - I hadn't, and so found it easier to get to things when then camera was out of the housing. e.g. I hadn't realized the ISO can be set using the Ring Func button, rather than needing to use the Func Set button and dial. (and that would have been useful to have known !)

Stu, thanks for the really helpful post.

I noticed in the last photo you managed to get a nearly black background in Macro. I have been trying to get this on land, with no success.

From your posts I understand that you used Tv at 1/100th. What strength did you have your flash setting?

actually that was probably more due to the grouper big inside the wreck than the setting I'd used. I didn't reset my flash power so probably was on the default. Of course, for blurring backgrounds the macro setting and shallow DoF (e.g. f2) would work best - probably going full manual and playing with speeding up the shutter would also help.

Stu,

Many thanks for the review. As a S70 & S80 user i was very interested in the new S model. When it was first announced i was 100% sure i was going to get one. Now i am only 50/50.
I am still using the S80 (with Inon UWL&dome) for wide angle & G9 for macro.

I had a little play with the S90 in a camera shop today and i was a little dissapointed.

For the 5 mins i had it, it is possible to change shutter speed & Apperture when using manual mode. It just involves a few button presses and the use of the front control ring.
One good point is that the front ring can be used to control manual focus.

Underwater the S80 & S70 is much easier to use in this respect.
I also think the camera is a bit on the small side. A lot of the buttons are very close together and the rear control ring is small.

My biggest fear is that most of the key buttons/ring control are not ideally placed.
i.e the ring function button is on the top and towars the middle of the camera.
Also the front ring is quite stiff to operate so i am not sure how easy this would be to operate
The ergonomics are not great IMHO.

(Having a shortcut button on the left hand side would have been a big benefit)

Anyway i have decided to stick with the S80 until i see some more positive reviews,expecially regarding wet lens compatibality.

K
yes, thew buttons are quite close together. I usually dive warm water with thin gloves or no gloves. I can see things being more tricky for the cold water people. On the back the buttons are quite clustered together - the main buttons I used were simply the macro/normal; flash/no flash and then the image playback (so didn't have too bad a problem)
As in the response to Nemrod - the Inon bayonet mount lenses unfortunately will not work - it takes screw in ones.

JFYI
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Stu IN Fla:

"yes, I missed that in my post. The port is perhaps bigger than it needs to be as it has the thread for the Ikelite wet lens (screw in). I unfortunately have bayonet mount Inon wet lenses and these do not work. It would have been nicer (for me) to have a smaller port and maybe an add on adapter for the wet lens (this is how it worked on the S80)."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can make an Inon AD bayonet adapter for 67mm threads by taking an old Tiffen 67mm UV filter and removing the glass. Then look about on Ebait for any Inon AD adapter. Remove the bayonet section from the Inon adapter, those tiny little screws hold it on. Then epoxy the bayonet portion into the Tiffen filter ring. You have to do a little hand shaping, I turned mine a little on a drill press as I milled it. It can be done by hand. Then you get this, here is the Inon 165AD without but you can see the adapter I made in the background:

PB020146.jpg

Then here is the Inon 165AD fisheye lens with the adapter installed:

PB020148.jpg

Here is the adapter bare threaded into the 67mm port:

PB020147.jpg

Which then gives you this:

DSCF0022-1.jpg

Which can produce this:

IMG_0526_edited-1.jpg

and this

IMG_1536_edited-1.jpg

N

Cool! I have an S-90 and was debating what housing to buy. The large 67mm port is a drawback for blocking the internal strobe - I had the same problem with my old Sony P-150/MPK-PHB setup. But of course once you add the Inon UFL-165AD lens you are going to block even more of the internal flash. I have a spare Inon AD mount around so I will have to try it, and come up with a good way to attach the synch cord from my Inon D-200.

I'm not clear on what the disappointment is... is it just the button placement? The S90 seems like a huge upgrade to me. I've been very pleased with it topside (except in Auto mode... Auto mode on my S90 apparently sucks donkey hiney... poor exposure, won't focus properly, etc. Fortunately all other modes seem to work brilliantly.

The quality seems much better than my S80, and I can't wait to use it underwater. I'm a little worried about wet lens options, however, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on a housing yet. I notice that Amazon is finally shipping the Canon housings... I wonder if the wet lens options will be better for the Canon housing than the Ikelite housing? I like the placement of the front control dial MUCH better on the Canon housing. (Which is a shame, because normally I'm a big Ikelite fan)

I have an Inon D2000 strobe so internal flash is not a concern for me... I never shoot with only the internal strobe anymore (UW).

I'm not clear on what the disappointment is... is it just the button placement? The S90 seems like a huge upgrade to me. I've been very pleased with it topside (except in Auto mode... Auto mode on my S90 apparently sucks donkey hiney... poor exposure, won't focus properly, etc. Fortunately all other modes seem to work brilliantly.

The quality seems much better than my S80, and I can't wait to use it underwater. I'm a little worried about wet lens options, however, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on a housing yet. I notice that Amazon is finally shipping the Canon housings... I wonder if the wet lens options will be better for the Canon housing than the Ikelite housing? I like the placement of the front control dial MUCH better on the Canon housing. (Which is a shame, because normally I'm a big Ikelite fan)

I have an Inon D2000 strobe so internal flash is not a concern for me... I never shoot with only the internal strobe anymore (UW).

Yep , i just do not like the camera layout.
If i do get the S90 i will prob get the canon housing & i think it will not be so easy to operate underwater compared to the previous models.
I have no comments yet about actual performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom