S90 + Ikelite housing : First Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've taken my S90 with the Ike housing out twice, and found the zoom to work pretty well after I got used to it--no issues. I am using the Ikelite W20 wide angle adapter, so I kept it zoomed to about 35 mm. It seemed as if one quick press on the zoom button, then releasing and making sure the zoom lever was recentered worked well. I also liked the front control ring on the right because I could grip the strobe arm with my left hand while manipulating the controls. My pictures are posted here:
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
I used manual mode, 1/125 shutter speed and used the front control to change aperture--very smooth and easy even with 5 mm gloves. I switched iso several times, going from 160 to 200 to 320--no obvious difference in picture quality. I used a Sea & Sea YS 110 strobe.

Hello CompuDude,

how come auto mode is not so good? how can it be? How can CANON make such a mistake? have you find out more about this automode problem?

thanks

mario

It's possible my camera is bad. I've been meaning to contact Canon. Every other mode seems great, but Auto seems to consistently make bad mistakes that a top of the line camera should not, even in easy conditions that should be no problem. (sometimes over exposure, others poor focus, etc.)

Exhibit A: This topside snapshot from yesterday. Surface shot, clear view of subjects, bright daylight. Focus is very soft. I don't know what the camera locked onto, but there is NO reason this shot should not have been perfect.

img0402small.jpg

From experience, taking the same shot in P mode (or any other) would most likely have come out great.

It's possible my camera is bad. I've been meaning to contact Canon. Every other mode seems great, but Auto seems to consistently make bad mistakes that a top of the line camera should not, even in easy conditions that should be no problem. (sometimes over exposure, others poor focus, etc.)

From experience, taking the same shot in P mode (or any other) would most likely have come out great.

I don't know if this is relevant, since it's from a review that includes only topside results ... "Use the Canon S90 in full-auto mode, and it performs quite well. It selects among a few Scene modes as needed and just gets the shot. Were it not for that, I'd steer most users to other cameras."

The above quote is from a review of the S90 found here ...

Canon PowerShot S90 Digital Camera - Review - The Imaging Resource!

... a site which I have found quite useful. Not expressing my own opinion here, having never even seen much less shot with the S90 ... take it as FWIW.

I don't know if this is relevant, since it's from a review that includes only topside results ... "Use the Canon S90 in full-auto mode, and it performs quite well. It selects among a few Scene modes as needed and just gets the shot. Were it not for that, I'd steer most users to other cameras."

The above quote is from a review of the S90 found here ...

Canon PowerShot S90 Digital Camera - Review - The Imaging Resource!

... a site which I have found quite useful. Not expressing my own opinion here, having never even seen much less shot with the S90 ... take it as FWIW.

The comment people keep referring to was in my original comment on page 1, in post #9 of this semi-epic thread.

I said "I've been very pleased with it topside (except in Auto mode... Auto mode on my S90 apparently sucks donkey hiney... poor exposure, won't focus properly, etc. Fortunately all other modes seem to work brilliantly."

I never said it was trash on ALL units, just on mine. As illustrated above. Hopefully just an aberration, but I have read more than one report of QC issues with this latest model, so it's something to keep an eye on.

If I well understand the problem , you found that the focus don't work well in auto mode with the S90.
I just check now my S90 and take some pictures (without any interest) in auto mode , the focus seems to work perfectly well .
Hope it helps .:blinking:

Deleted

Has anyone actually seen a camera housing from Fix!!! Other than a very crude 3D parametric drawing!

Yeah:

s90_top_bn.jpg

Such is the world today in rapid prototype manufacturing, those crude drawings are actually numerical models that can quickly produce the above from a CNC mill. Hey, just picking on ya.

N

Yeah:

Such is the world today in rapid prototype manufacturing, those crude drawings are actually numerical models that can quickly produce the above from a CNC mill. Hey, just picking on ya.

N

Nem,
As I actually spend about 50% of my working life these days writing code and producing those rapid prototypes, I can't agree more with you. My much earlier comments about this cameras still stand but I admit that this is a good camera for someone who is looking for a compromise on size verses usability though I still think personally that it's not the best setup to take underwater!

Merry Christmas to all and lets hope the photo fairies bring us want we want for Xmas.

Peter

Yeah:

s90_top_bn.jpg

N

Hey, looks like they replaced the photo of the prototype Aluminum (natural color) one with the final black anodized version. Nice. :)

(Although either would be nice, I'd agree... I think you said you preferred the shiny one)

Nem,
As I actually spend about 50% of my working life these days writing code and producing those rapid prototypes, I can't agree more with you. My much earlier comments about this cameras still stand but I admit that this is a good camera for someone who is looking for a compromise on size verses usability though I still think personally that it's not the best setup to take underwater!

Merry Christmas to all and lets hope the photo fairies bring us want we want for Xmas.

Peter

Not arguing and feel free to PM the answer (to me) but could you go over those reasons again since I am about to purchase this outfit. Best I can see it (S90) has the G11 stomped in the dirt and the G10 is just so yesterday. :blinking: What am I missing here? It uses the wet lenses I have, wet lenses yet to be designed, the Plexi and glass FIX UWL4, multiple lens adapters, compact size, very fast lens, shutter as fast as the G10, same sensor as the G11, the excellent front control ring and rear control rings, decent movie mode, typical battery life, larger LCD screen, very intuitive operation, pocket size even with housing installed. What is not to like? And, it is slightly less money.??

And, like I said before, I was teasing you on the drawing :). Our engineers make a CAD drawing in the morning and have the part in their hands that afternoon for test fitting. I don't know why you doubted they were making one? Once they have the drawing, the part is in the bag.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom